• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mojang (Minecraft) report $325m revenue in 2013: PC 38%,Consoles 30%,Mobile 25%

$325m revenue. $128m profit.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304747404579446811628209436.html

STOCKHOLM—Swedish computer games maker Mojang AB said net income more than doubled last year, banking on the popularity of cult classic "Minecraft" and eschewing the so-called freemium model adopted by many of its bigger competitors.

Mojang raked in 816 million Swedish kronor ($128 million) last year, up from 325 million kronor in 2012. Revenue soared 38% to 2.07 billion kronor, according to figures made available to The Wall Street Journal. Mojang is a privately held company and will soon publish its full financial statements with Swedish regulators.

What sets Mojang apart from its competitors is that it charges players a flat fee for downloading the game—a pricey $27 per download on a PC or $20 for a console-based gaming device, and $7 for the mobile version.

Last year, 38% of the company's revenue came from sales of the PC version of "Minecraft," while the versions for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 accounted for 30% of sales, Ms. Severinson said. Roughly a quarter of revenue stemmed from mobile. The rest came from "Scrolls," a strategy card-trading game, as well as merchandise sales.

Comparisons from the same article

EM-AZ382_MOJANG_G_20140318131600.jpg

ii1motTAKKWcD.png

The Llama

That revenue comparison is crazy. Holy crap @ the growth of King. Zynga is dying though (and nothing of value was lost).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mojang the only company on that comparison I'd miss if they were erased from existence by tomorrow

Sentenza

Why in the hell does Zynga have 2000 employees?
It's the same with Rovio and King. Leaving alone if they "deserve" these revenues or not, I have genuinely no idea what these mobile companies are doing with their capitals, considering they don't have exactly a massive output.

Tagyhag

Mojang has come a long way, I remember buying the alpha.

Some of those employee sizes are insane though, I'm gonna feel bad when they're laid off because it seems that their business models are really unstable.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I thought merchandise would account for a bigger %.

Anyway, more LEGO sets expected soon.

Somnid

That revenue comparison is crazy. Holy crap @ the growth of King. Zynga is dying though (and nothing of value was lost).

The thing to remember is that it's not so much King's growth as Candy Crush's growth. Most of the top devs while they make a ton of money probably won't have stable transitions to new games. This is Zynga's main problem.

Damian.

Banned
All the money in the world is not enough to make one man give two shits about proper PC version support that includes local co-op/splitscreen/controller support. Fuck Mojang.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How do I make a Minecraft?

All the money in the world is not enough to make one man give two shits about proper PC version support that includes local co-op/splitscreen/controller support. Fuck Mojang.

In all seriousness, this. I tried to get back into Minecraft a few months ago after literally years away from it and when I got to the part about installing Java I went "LOLNOPE" and just deleted it.

Pain

Banned
The thing to remember is that it's not so much King's growth as Candy Crush's growth. Most of the top devs while they make a ton of money probably won't have stable transitions to new games. This is Zynga's main problem.
Have you seen the top grossing games on the App Store? Candy Crush is still killing it and Per Rescue and Farm heroes are surprisingly also in the top 10.

Kru

Really hoping they put the full version of Minecraft on PS4 and Xbone sometime this gen.

GODDAMN THIS!!

I thought it was pegged for Day 1 on ps4 at one point right? What the hell happened?

I am only playing on ps3 atm, and i am hooked. But would much prefer the near limitless freedom i am hoping the ps4 can provide. And also some sort of crossplay, for ps4 players to play with ps3. The VOIP might be an issue there however.

COME ON, I want news of next gen minecrafting.

So:

123,500,000 minecraft pc
97,500,000 minecraft consoles
81,250,000 minecraft mobile
22,750,000 scrolls/merchandises

Minecraft alone 302,250,000, of which

PC 123,500,000/302,250,000 = ~40.9%
Consoles 97,500,000/302,250,000 = ~32.2%
Mobile 81,250,00/302,250,000 = ~%26.9

kswiston

So:

123,500,000 minecraft pc
97,500,000 minecraft consoles
81,250,000 minecraft mobile
22,750,000 scrolls/merchandises

Minecraft alone 302,250,000, of which

PC 123,500,000/302,250,000 = ~40.9%
Consoles 97,500,000/302,250,000 = ~32.2%
Mobile 81,250,00/302,250,000 = ~%26.9

If you take the full price per copy you get the following numbers for minimum copies sold in 2013:

PC - 4.575M
Consoles - 4.875M
Mobile - 11.6M

The console number might be a bit off, since I am not sure if it retails for more in EU, but still pretty crazy.

Tagyhag

GODDAMN THIS!!

I thought it was pegged for Day 1 on ps4 at one point right? What the hell happened?

I am only playing on ps3 atm, and i am hooked. But would much prefer the near limitless freedom i am hoping the ps4 can provide. And also some sort of crossplay, for ps4 players to play with ps3. The VOIP might be an issue there however.

They have been really quiet lately, I personally want to see the Vita version.

I doubt they'll have crossplay though, the PS4/X1 versions aren't going to have infinite maps, but they're going to be bigger than the 360/PS3 ones so it wouldn't be compatible.

Freeman

Banned
That image is just sad. Makes me feel so old that I can't relate at all to those games, save for Minecraft, that is actually interesting even tho I don't play it.

Seanspeed

Banned
Depressing charts right there.

Minecraft deserves every bit of its wild success, but to see these bullshit mobile game companies outperforming them massively is fucking...........well, there's no justice in this world.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
40 employees at 100,000 euro a year + 1 million euro a year plant costs = 5 million euro a year burn rate.

It's quite possible their burn rate is still actually lower than the passive interest they're getting from their bank account--in other words, the company is 100% self-sustainable in perpetuity at their current size even if they never make another dollar.

woolley

I didn't realized Mojang had that many employees. Its even weirder that they only have like 2 guys working on the main minecraft game. Especially with the console version being done by a third party.

Harlock

The main difference is that Notch dont wanna rule the world and get each year even more, no matter the quality.

And any news about that patent troll?

Supercell has surprising great revenue per employee. How come so many of these games are made in Europe?

GODDAMN THIS!!

Get the PC version if you have a decent laptop/desktop. Truly limitless.

Top Bottom