• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard confirms development of Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition for Xbox One

jbug617

Banned
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/455316/blizzard-confirms-xbox-one-version-of-diablo-3/
"I don't know where we are with Microsoft right now so I can't really comment on what that contract looks like," Diablo 3 lead producer Alex Mayberry told VideoGamer.

"The point is we are developing for Xbox [One] and PS4 simultaneously. We hit those major platforms and then our goal as a development team is to make them run.

"We have that pipeline worked out... And then Blizzard and Microsoft can work out whatever they work out."

Don't know why it's so hard to say the game is coming for Xbox One. I'm sure MS is not going to stop them from putting it out.

To be fair, they confirmed they are working on the product, but do not have a contract in place for a release.

Presumably this may have to do with a marketing contract with Sony, but that is mere speculation.

Com_Raven

This should hardly be surprising- it is the exact same thing we saw last year with the PS3 version, when they did not want to talk about Xbox 360, until their Press Kit for an event had screens labelled "X 360".

And, lo and behold, it came out the same day. I expect the same to happen for Xbox One and PS4.

Raide

Weird wording in this.

Sony possibly paid them to only talk up the PS4 version, kinda like D3 had. I cannot just see Blizzard picking one console to market and hype, they would normal pick them all and get the biggest market possible. Seems really weird to avoid directly saying the Xbox One version is also coming.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/455316/blizzard-confirms-xbox-one-version-of-diablo-3/

Don't know why it's so hard to say the game is coming for Xbox One. I'm sure MS is not going to stop them from putting it out.

The same reason that all Destiny commercials are advertised as with PS4, the same reason at E3 where devs are likely paid to not mention the other platforms. Both companies do it, it's no mystery that they have had some marketing deal or something in place with Sony to push the game on PS4.

Santar

What I find equally interesting from this recent interview is the comemnt from Blizzard on the release date for the console version:
"As for when Ultimate Evil Edition is due to release, Mayberry says that "it's not far off... [The console team] work in parallel development with us so they're not far behind".
I really hope this means we'll get the cosnole version in a month or two.
Source: Videogamer

Sony possibly paid them to only talk up the PS4 version, kinda like D3 had. I cannot just see Blizzard picking one console to market and hype, they would normal pick them all and get the biggest market possible. Seems really weird to avoid directly saying the Xbox One version is also coming.

This is what I think too. This is such a strange marketing agreement.

Yaoibot

MS did exclusive "reveals" and "mentions" all last gen. Did it again this gen with MGS on stage at E3. This is common practice in the industry and isn't exclusive to one or the other manufacturer.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Makes sense.

MS did exclusive "reveals" and "mentions" all last gen. Did it again this gen with MGS on stage at E3. This is common practice in the industry and isn't exclusive to one or the other manufacturer.

Do you know of any cases where games couldn't even be announced for other platforms? With BF4 and CoD marketing we still know PS3/PS4 versions are coming out because they have been announced. The same goes for AC4/Watch Dogs/Destiny on PS4. The games have been announced for XB1/360.

Both companies are active participants in these co-marketing bullshit.

It was extremely scummy that Activision cannot mention non-Xbox platforms with COD and it's scummy for Diablo 3 as well.

Each of these marketing bullshit could probably had funded 2 small indie games, and yet it's wasted on nonsense.

Raide

D3 was super weird. At one point people thought it was PS3 only and then the 360 version just popped out! Most devs and pubs don't outright ignore another format unless there is some reason to do so. i.e. paid not to or not even in production.

It was extremely scummy that Activision cannot mention non-Xbox platforms with COD and it's scummy for Diablo 3 as well.

Each of these marketing bullshit could probably had funded 2 small indie games, and yet it's wasted on nonsense.

Diablo 3's case is scummier as Blizzard has pretended an XB1/360 version doesn't even exist. I can't remember another case of this offhand.

ElRenoRaven

Schweet. It's going to be so hard to choose one or the other. I have friends on both but really don't feel like double dipping.

Ok so I admit I'm really ignorant on the subject but is anyone really wanting Diablo 3 on the new consoles? I'm sure some people will buy it but I guess since I couldn't care less it's not that big of a deal to me.

I haven't played a Diablo game since the original on PC. Nothing against the series I just am way behind on it.

Ok so I admit I'm really ignorant on the subject but is anyone really wanting Diablo 3 on the new consoles? I'm sure some people will buy it but I guess since I couldn't care less it's not that big of a deal to me.

I haven't played a Diablo game since the original on PC. Nothing against the series I just am way behind on it.

No always online, and local co-op. It's a big deal for some people.

MYE

Its easily gonna be the best game on those machines so yeah lol

Ubersnug

About fucking time blizzard confirmed this. It does seem like Stupid contractural obligations as to why they are can't 'secure' the contract. I have no doubt this will be out within the same time frame as the PS4 version.

Raide

All the great changes from vanilla D3 are in, more content and 4 player same-screen co-op was great on PS3/360. 1080p@60fps (Hopefully...maybe) will also be great.

MYE

Any word on Reaper of Souls dlc for PS3?
C'mon Blizz, dont fuck me up! I'll double dip on PC and PS3

jbug617

Banned
EA and garden warfare. hasn't that already been rated for PS4. but i don't recall EA ever mentioning it?

they haven't officially announced it but they sort of acknowledge it.
"We haven’t announced any plans yet for any additional platforms outside of the PC, but the way I typically answer that question is we want to get this game in the hands of as many people as possible," said Lindley.

"Obviously, we’re exclusively first on the Xbox platforms, but I think in the coming months players will see some announcements that will please them depending on their platform of choice."

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2281881/plants_vs_zombies_garden_warfare_coming_to_ps4.html

I'm waiting for the PS4 version to play Diablo 3 again. I'm looking for a great game I can play with my buddies on my couch and I really want to go through the new expansion.

molnizzle

Obviously this was going to be the case. Even at the PS4 reveal, the official word from Blizzard was something like "this is Sony's show, we're not talking about other platforms at the moment." They never denied it.

I'm just wondering if there will be any differences between the two versions, graphics notwithstanding. Could the game utilize Azure in any way? Would Blizz even want to go that route if they could? I'm curious.

I don't get the wording of this. Why would a developer put time into optimizing a game for a specific console without actually expecting to release it on that console? No one would do that. So they're basically confirming it's coming without outright saying it?

I enjoyed D3 on Xbox 360, with the new content I would be interested in the Xbox One version although perhaps not at full price, depends what else is out around it.

Still trying to recover from the Feb/March releases

Valnen

Its easily gonna be the best game on those machines so yeah lol

Pretty much. This game will suck up more hours than any other game being released in the next couple years on next gen systems, easily. Except maybe FFXIV if you want to count an MMO.

Any word on Reaper of Souls dlc for PS3?
C'mon Blizz, dont fuck me up! I'll double dip on PC and PS3

Nah, the less last gen support the better. Those old consoles need to die, now.

Stranya

It would be nice to get a release date for PS4. Maybe they're waiting on finalising the Microsoft contract (if that's true) before announcing it for both.

molnizzle

I enjoyed D3 on Xbox 360, with the new content I would be interested in the Xbox One version although perhaps not at full price, depends what else is out around it.

Still trying to recover from the Feb/March releases

The Ultimate Evil Edition is $59.99 as it includes both the base game and Reaper of Souls expansion pack, which will be $39.99 on its own (with a $59.99 "deluxe" edition) when it released for PC tomorrow.

MYE

Nah, the less last gen support the better. Those old consoles need to die, now.

The hell? Its already out on PS360, it sold well and should be fully supported by getting the next ACT of the game.
People here shouldn't be championing these shitty practices as acceptable ways to force people into getting a new console.

Forsythia

Microsoft can't be that stupid to let this slip away, and Activision Blizzard loves money, so this basically is a confirmation of the Xbox One version. I'm glad it's being talked about now. Will buy it day 1.

Ishan

this nonsense fuels sales and hepls platforms stay in existence ...like it or hate it the cod market and live helps ms similarly for sony ...most indies arent mainstream enough yet ... who knows what will happen eventually tho.

Top Bottom