• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panasonic Viera AX900 4K LED TV coming Fall 2014, claims quality rivals best plasmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ax900-201403243688.htm

Panasonic’s Plasma-Like LED TV is AX900 with Direct Local Dimming
By Vincent Teoh
24 March 2014, 6:07 pm GMT

Back at CES earlier this year, Panasonic showed off its plasma-equalling LED TV prototype which the company was confident enough to exhibit in a dark-room side-by-side comparison against the finest plasma it’s ever made, namely the Viera ZT. Now, this mouthwatering flat-screen television has been given a model number, and is scheduled to launch in autumn later this year, probably coinciding with IFA 2014.

The Panasonic AX900 (marketed as AX902 in the UK) will come in three screen sizes: the 55-inch Panasonic TX-55AX900, the 65-inch TX-65AX900 and the 85-inch TX-85AX900. The corresponding model numbers for the British market are TX-55AX902B, TX-65AX902B and TX-85AX902B respectively.

Today, we also learnt about the difference between the AX900/AX902 and the step-down AX800/AX802 4K Ultra HD TVs. The Panasonic AX800 – comprising the 50in TX-50AX800, the 58in TX-58AX800 and the 65in TX-65AX800 – features edge LED backlight with pseudo-local dimming (branded as “Local Dimming PRO” by the Japanese manufacturer). The LCD panel type is VA with active 3D capability.

The range-topping Viera AX900 gets full-array direct LED local dimming, meaning that its LED clusters can be switched on or off independently of each other to achieve deeper blacks and brighter whites at the same time on screen. The 55″ TX55AX900 and the 65″ TX65AX900 direct LED televisions will feature IPS LCD panel and 128 dimming zones (16×8), carrying a moniker of “Local Dimming ULTRA”. Strangely, the largest 85″ TX85AX900 will be equipped with only 32 dimming zones: perhaps it’s a limitation of the VA-type LCD panel used? Does the same 4K LCD panel grace Samsung’s UHD (ultra high-definition) 85S9 or Sony’s KD-85X9505 4K TV too? One can only speculate.

At this week’s Panasonic Convention 2014, the company put on the same side-by-side comparison between the Viera TX-65AX900, a TX-P65ZT60 plasma, and last year’s TX-L65WT600 Ultra HD television. We managed to confirm that the ZT60 used in this demo was operating with [Panel Brightness] set to “Low“, resulting in shallower blacks (roughly double the MLL compared with if [Panel Brightness] was “Mid“).

While some readers will cry foul at this sort of handicapping, we were still very impressed with black-level performance and shadow detailing on the AX900.
We noticed some circumferential halos surrounding brighter objects on dark background, but it’s an inevitable side effect of local dimming (unless the number of dimming zones comes close to the number of pixels on screen), and was in any case quite minor especially considering that the underlying LCD panel was IPS. The viewing angle was very good for an LED LCD, blowing the WT600 out of the water, and giving the ZT a decent run for its money within 50° off-axis.

We’ll have to wait until IFA 2014 to learn about the pricing of the AX902/AX900, but we sure hope that it’s quasi-affordable, because this is one of the most exciting developments we’ve seen in the LED LCD arena for some time.

http://www.techradar.com/news/telev...ew-ax900-led-tvs-finally-rival-plasma-1236592

With the advent of 4K LED, though, the writing was on the wall for plasma but Panasonic believes its AX900 range has what it takes to replace its much-heralded ZT plasma lineup.

Craig Cunningham, Viera Product Manager at Panasonic, spoke to TechRadar at the company's European conference in Amsterdam about the situation, saying: "The AX900 will be coming at the end of the summer and it will be what we are replacing our plasma business with.

"It has THX certification, local dimming, studio mastered colour... it is everything we had on plasma on an LED."

To compare the quality of the AX900 to the ZT range we were shown side by side comparisons of the two TVs.

"The hardest part is always going to be replacing the blacks," explained Cunningham.

"LED uses dimming whereas plasma pixels lights themselves. You also have excellent colour control on plasma - but what it can't offer is depth and the power consumption is far worse than LED."

When shown the two panels we have to admit it was almost like for like when it came to colour reproduction - last year's 4K model was also on show but that just didn't compare.

The new local dimming also held its own against the plasma's self-lit pixels, while the blacks were inkier than we have seen on an LED setup.

"We are able to pick up tiny details that you just couldn't before," said Cunningham.

"If you look at the two blacks side by side then the ZT may just win but all the other aspects mean that LED is better.

"It's sharper, lower powered, 4K and it also wins at the price point."

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
There's an Xbox One black-levels joke here somewhere...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I read on another thread that Plasma can't do 4k anyway?

HaNks

Banned
be nice if they could have some of this tech in smaller 1080p models. presumably it will filter down over time. not really looking to go up to a 4k tv screen until some ways in the future.

3N16MA

Banned
be nice if they could have some of this tech in smaller 1080p models. presumably it will filter down over time. not really looking to go up to a 4k tv screen until some ways in the future.

Full-array local dimming LED LCD 1080p TVs have been around for awhile but not common. It is one of the ways LCD TVs are able to compete with the best Plasma TVs.

HaNks

Banned
Full-array local dimming LED LCD 1080p TVs have been around for awhile but not common. It is one of the ways LCD TVs are able to compete with the best Plasma TVs.

sounds like this panasonic might be one of the best implementations of it so far...anything comparable on the market right now? some of the brands mentioned round here only seem to be available in the US.

tbh i will likely be 2nd hand plasma shopping for an upgrade.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is supposed to compare to a ZT? It's going to cost at least $5k then.

I really wish someone would make a decent display for about $1k. Seems like that price/quality ratio died with plasma.

Pocks

Good to see local dimming... it would have been interesting if the Vizio P series had local dimming while Panasonic stuck with edge lit.

Still pissed I missed out on the S60 line though.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
"The hardest part is always going to be replacing the blacks," explained Cunningham.
thatsra- eh, nevermind.

Is this true though? Even if it is, there's something that I find more important, and that is eliminating refresh lag. The first and fundamentally only thing I care about with any TV display is how much input lag my games will have on it.

Madness

Only the very best LED televisions rival Plasma and are almost double in price.

It's safe to say the future is OLED, Curved OLED etc. Completely destroy the picture quality of LED.

Haines

Banned
Any reason to buy a 4k TV? I don't have TV but I doubt most programming is even HD? I can understand wanting even better than BD but without source its a paperweight

Madness

Any reason to buy a 4k TV? I don't have TV but I doubt most programming is even HD? I can understand wanting even better than BD but without source its a paperweight

Are you in a position to afford one easily? Are you looking to buy a flagship 1080p set? The 4K televisions out right now are the pinnacle of television technology. Already, there is 4K video support in a lot of the new smartphones, cameras, etc. A lot of receivers and Blu-ray players have 4K upscaling capability as well.

Plus, 4K streaming is starting to happen as well, Samsung and Sony have a few movies available etc. But yes, the biggest problem is the complete lack of native 4K content. If you are on a tight budget, I'd forgo 4K altogether, get a decent 1080p set. There is just nothing really out to see 4K in. At least until there is dedicated, updated and new 4K streaming content or a new physical format.

Frolow

Banned

If you're planning on buying a TV you might as well wait for OLED to make it big.

Madness

They're already more "mainstream" than Plasma and LCD were when starting out. Prices are already under $5000 and they've been used in smartphones, video game handhelds, smartphones etc.

Of course the technology isn't mature, plus there are competing OLED technologies, but the adoption will pick up, you'll have companies decide what is the best way to market and manufacture them. I believe Samsung and LG are looking at curved OLED panels to get them into homes.

Yes there are some technical hitches like burn-in after a prolonged time, issues with blue LED diodes not lasting as long etc. But that's just the fact the technology hasn't matured yet. Plasma was being developed well before the 80's before coming in the early 90's in a few sets. Wasn't until the mid 2000's when it reached its peak in a sense.

My 47" LG LE8500 (full LED, local dimming) already has 216 dimmable zones to achieve good black screen values and still in very dark scenes it annoys me sometimes because the grid is to big to just illuminate the torce, lamp, etc. seen on screen. I wonder if 128 such zones on 55" are really enough.

x3sphere

I have a LG LH90 that I bought in 2010 and it has very good black levels, thanks to full array local dimming, which this Panasonic also seems to be using. Unfortunately, very few LED TVs use this technology. Nearly all the LED TVs in the past year I've seen are edge-lit and actually look worse in PQ than this LG I paid only $1000 for.

I don't know how my LG compares to top of the line plasma sets like the Kuro and Viera, probably still isn't as good, but I've heard the tech can be improved upon by using more LED zones - of course at added expense.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
No one is going to invest in it.

Usually an led that rivals plasma is like twice the cost of the equivalent plasma... Any word on price?

I believe only the 58" AX800 model has had a price cited, apparently MSRP for that one is $3800 so I'd expect a street price around the $2500-$3000 mark for that one. If the AX900 is going to be the flagship, pricing will likely be higher of course.

Van Owen

Banned
Ugh, I really hope companies don't stop offering 1080p sets on the higher end sets. I have zero interest in 4k for what I think will continue for many years.

I am so happy that I spent the extra money to get a Panasonic Viera plasma last summer. Was looking around for TVs again recently and sure enough, its getting pretty damn impossible to find any Panasonic plasmas left out in the wild.

HaNks

Banned
the best hope for OLED might actually be if some of the VR low-persistence tech gets scaled up to larger displays. OLED is great but i read the motion is still far behind plasmas for whats on the market now.

I have a LG LH90 that I bought in 2010 and it has very good black levels, thanks to full array local dimming, which this Panasonic also seems to be using. Unfortunately, very few LED TVs use this technology. Nearly all the LED TVs in the past year I've seen are edge-lit and actually look worse in PQ than this LG I paid only $1000 for.

I don't know how my LG compares to top of the line plasma sets like the Kuro and Viera, probably still isn't as good, but I've heard the tech can be improved upon by using more LED zones - of course at added expense.

LEDs are super cheap. It's really just horrendously aggresive cost-cutting and the fact that they're a tad bulkier.

Brandson

I've never seen an IPS LCD perform well in low light conditions so I'll believe it when I see it. There's a good chance the AX800 with a VA LCD panel will be the top performer, just like with Sony's current lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom