• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft reveals Kinect for Windows hardware

Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwi...revealing-kinect-for-windows-v2-hardware.aspx

As we continue the march toward the upcoming launch of Kinect for Windows v2, we’re excited to share the hardware’s final look.

The sensor closely resembles the Kinect for Xbox One, except that it says “Kinect” on the top panel, and the Xbox Nexus—the stylized green “x”—has been changed to a simple, more understated power indicator.

0574.v2_2D00_sensor_5F00_503px.jpg

The sensor requires a couple other components to work: the hub and the power supply. Tying everything together is the hub (top item pictured below), which accepts three connections: the sensor, USB 3.0 output to PC, and power. The power supply (bottom item pictured below) does just what its name implies: it supplies all the power the sensor requires to operate. The power cables will vary by country or region, but the power supply itself supports voltages from 100–240 volts.

2766.v2hub_2D00_powersupply_5F00_503px.jpg

As this first look at the Kinect for Windows v2 hardware indicates, we getting closer and closer to launch. So stay tuned for more updates on the next generation of Kinect for Windows.

Yup, it's a Kinect! Will be cool to see what people do with it.

Great! I didn't think Microsoft was officially releasing a Windows version. I've seen people do some very fascinating things with Kinect homebrew - and v2 should open up a world of possibilities.

Muzy72

Banned
Can't wait to see what people can do with this. The stuff that came out of Kinect v1 on Windows was freaking amazing.

Also, Kinect is cool and all, but where the fuck is the XBone controller support for PC!?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Could be cool.. would be pretty great on a media pc..

Couldn't they simply sell the power brick that has the USB 3.0 connection to the PC separately? I mean, there isn't really anything that different from the one that comes with the Xbox One.

Couldn't they simply sell the power brick that has the USB 3.0 connection to the PC separately? I mean, there isn't really anything that different from the one that comes with the Xbox One.

Well the problem is that they typically push out more firmware updates to the Windows sensor, such as Near Mode in the original Kinect for Windows ( http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/archive/2012/01/20/near-mode-what-it-is-and-isn-t.aspx ). I'd assume if you took your Xbox sensor, flashed the firmware to the PC version, it wouldn't work on the Xbox anymore. Plus, there's the potential for security issues if they allowed them to flash firmware onto Xbox's Kinect and use it on the Xbox.

It's likely just simpler to offer complete units to devs, many of which may not have an Xbox anyway.

With that said, it probably won't be long until somebody finds a way to make it work regardless.

Andodalf

Banned
Now that It's not bundled to a console people can finally admit Kinect is a truly great piece of tech. Countries had Kinect-ones protecting their borders. MS will make a pretty penny selling these to a wide variety of people.

senahorse

Can't wait to see how some people use this in conjunction with a rift. I envision using the kinect in a room at home, the kinect mapping the room. Re-skinning the room with some cool textures, adding effects and then you and a buddy using a rift each to play some multiplayer games. E.g. a cover based shooter, ducking behind couches, leaning against them in real life but getting visual feedback as well. Hope someone creates something crazy (cool?) like that, I might get one myself to have a play.

spookyfish

Now that It's not bundled to a console people can finally admit Kinect is a truly great piece of tech. Countries had Kinect-ones protecting their borders. MS will make a pretty penny selling these to a wide variety of people.

There are a lot of good applications for the Kinect tech. Many robotics researchers where I work use them. I just don't want to pay for one with a console when I found it to be very lacking for gaming.

Caayn

Was to be expected. Still very interested to see what researchers and other people can do with the new Kinect. The original Kinect already got some very nifty use in robotics and security.

Will be great to see what people toying around with it come up with. Hopefully some of it will filter back to indie games and cool apps on XB1.

Alx

Great! I didn't think Microsoft was officially releasing a Windows version.

It's been in beta since last October I think. Can't wait to get my hands on one of those, the first kinect for windows SDK was very solid. :)

Well the problem is that they typically push out more firmware updates to the Windows sensor, such as Near Mode in the original Kinect for Windows ( http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/archive/2012/01/20/near-mode-what-it-is-and-isn-t.aspx ). I'd assume if you took your Xbox sensor, flashed the firmware to the PC version, it wouldn't work on the Xbox anymore. Plus, there's the potential for security issues if they allowed them to flash firmware onto Xbox's Kinect and use it on the Xbox.

It's likely just simpler to offer complete units to devs, many of which may not have an Xbox anyway.

With that said, it probably won't be long until somebody finds a way to make it work regardless.

There's also a licensing issue I think. At least there was for the first kinect : the console sensor was sold at $150, but the PC sensor was sold at $250 because it included a license for the SDK and its commercial use.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It's a pretty impressive piece of technology and a lot of the applications made for the original kinect on PC were brilliant.

It's a terrible, terrible, terrible games input device.

Ludist210

I won't deny it's a great piece of tech, but it's not a great games input. That's where most people's beef is.

Caayn

I don't have it clear, can I use my X1 kinect on PC with that adapter or it is a different hardware?
Looks like it's the exact same Kinect aside from a few cosmetic differences. So I don't see why not, the question is will MS sell those adapters separately.

Alx

Looks like it's the exact same Kinect aside from a few cosmetic differences. So I don't see why not, the question is will MS sell those adapters separately.

If they follow the same model they had for kinect1, even if the components are 99% identical, they won't let you use the console sensor on PC, and vice versa.
Just keep in mind that the "kinect for windows" program isn't really for gaming anyway, its main purpose is to let companies use kinect for commercial products, like interactive displays for example. Chances are most people here will have no reason to buy one for themselves, unless they're developers themselves.

Top Bottom