• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCE now starts a new business department for China

We SCEC now. Also is there any possibility this is an april fools joke?

This is SCEI's corporate website. Why on Earth would they put an April Fools joke on something like this?

This website is where major investors and serious news outlets get SCEI news...this isn't the kind of venue for April Fools pranks or other shenanigans.

Please don't be a joke.

And please bring back the days where games like Legend of Condor Heroes was made for the PS1

And localisation, damn it. Knowing Chinese didn't make it easier to read.

Vashetti

Banned
Obviously this has been in the work for months, but it's funny this comes out the day after MS announce the Xbox One release for China.

I think Sony will be way more succesful in China then MS.

I always wondered why Nintendo with their handheld systems isnt really popular here. Everytime I play 3ds people ask me if its a PSP or a Vita.

Though you can buy the HK/Taiwan version of either PSP, Vita or 3DS and the games almost everywhere here.

Gskyace

Obviously this has been in the work for months, but it's funny this comes out the day after MS announce the Xbox One release for China.

According to plan, Xbox One should have already released in June.
But, they've pushed the date from September to October, again.

Actually, I hope they understand the need from both core and casual players.

Looks like Sony is serious about localizing and/or making games for the Chinese market. Both MS and Sony are hungry for the untapped market.

Sony's Asia localisations always had Chinese language options since ... forever.

I don't know about China, but Sony has alway been strong in its support of Chinese speaking Asian regions like HK, Taiwan, etc.

wapplew

There is a rumor about China PS4 launch at July running on Chinese forum few days ago, I guess it might be true.

Sotha_Sil

I think Sony will be way more succesful in China then MS.

It will certainly be fascinating to watch. I know many places in China are getting over it, but anti-Japanese sentiment is still alive and well in China.

Interesting note, when I was living in a port outside of Jinzhou this summer, I would often see League of Legends games being streamed on TV, complete with announcers. They really, really like that game from what I understand

It will certainly be fascinating to watch. I know many places in China are getting over it, but anti-Japanese sentiment is still alive and well in China

The young generation doesnt really care.

They watch One Piece, play MonHun on their PSP,
watch their JAVs
, use Sony-products and so on.

They really, really like that game from what I understand

After Tencent bought it, they made it big. DOTA2 is equally big. Just watch some chinese Gaming-Channels. Its either DOTA2, CrossFire or LoL or sometimes SC2 custom maps.

Please ship some to Germany before adding China to the list.

Before I flew to China you could buy the PS4 almost everywhere in Germany. That was in January.

And they're gonna bumrush each other to support an American one?

Young Chinese doesnt care. They will support what they like.

American movies are also huge here and no one boycotts those as well as Breaking Bad or BBT.

Big-E

Both MS and Sony can't just apply a global strategy to China. Rich people who can buy games already have systems and they mostly didn't buy shit as everyone I know in China that had a 360 was pirating the games despite them being rich as fuck. If there is an answer to the Chinese market, there is potential for this market to decide the console war for decades to come. Finding that answer though is going to be a gargantuan task and whoever does deserves to be paid millions for setting their company up. Both Sony and MS need to try and convert the paying LOL and Crossfire players but I don't know how to do that.

stryke

SonyToo /s

Not sure how to read the Chinese market. Apparently if you want to get a console, it wouldn't be difficult finding one. Not sure how things may change when this goes "official".

Both MS and Sony can't just apply a global strategy to China. Rich people who can buy games already have systems and they mostly didn't buy shit as everyone I know in China that had a 360 was pirating the games despite them being rich as fuck.

The problem though is just that the imported HK/Asia/TW Games cost far too much for a typical Chinese. 50$ is already much when you think what else you can get with that.

You could get about 10-15 original CDs with it or 10-15 DVDs-.

nightever

I always wondered why Nintendo with their handheld systems isnt really popular here. Everytime I play 3ds people ask me if its a PSP or a Vita.

Though you can buy the HK/Taiwan version of either PSP, Vita or 3DS and the games almost everywhere here.

Nintendo means children for many elder Chinese console gamers, and parents won't buy a ‘game-machine’ for their children.

And Nintendo doesn't care Chinese market for some reason. No localization for the heavy hitters like MH4 is pretty much a joke.

Nintendo means children for many elder Chinese console gamers, and parents won't buy a ‘game-machine’ for their children.

And Nintendo doesn't care Chinese market for some reason. No localization for the heavy hitters like MH4 is pretty much a joke.

Oh. There isnt an asia-version for MH4?

I know almost "every" Chinese played MonHun before on their PSP.

_hekk05

Banned
Not to be a dick to the chinese, but once the xbone can be modified to play pirated games, it will win. Piracy is really a thing in China (although those who want quality can and will go the extra length to buy real products). Historically, playstation is much harder to crack than the xbox.

Piracy is really a thing in China (although those who want quality can and will go the extra length to buy real products

It depends on the products. CDs are still a thing here and cost like 3-5$ (original), depending how new it is.

Chinese are kinda used to getting things for free though.
Tencent and co. are paying a huge amount of money to the big publishers so their services can offer music/tv shows/movies for free.

I think PS+ could be something similar. Pay 40-50RMB each month, get enough games to play.

Sotha_Sil

The young generation doesnt really care.

They watch One Piece, play MonHun on their PSP,
watch their JAVs
, use Sony-products and so on.

That's fair. I spent most of my three months in China doing field work at sea, and I was with an older crowd. I didn't have too many opportunities to talk to people my age, and when I did, gaming and Sony never came up lol.

That's fair. I spent most of my three months in China doing field work at sea, and I was with an older crowd. I didn't have too many opportunities to talk to people my age, and when I did, gaming and Sony never came up lol.

About two years ago every day I took the subway people, female and male, were playing MonHun on their PSP.

Now though it seems to be more that mobilegames are getting big here, like in Japan...

SonyToo /s

Not sure how to read the Chinese market. Apparently if you want to get a console, it wouldn't be difficult finding one. Not sure how things may change when this goes "official".

Wouldn't be difficult is an understatement.

It's probably easier to find Ps4 in China compared to US/UK. Both retail.. and online.

Even though China is a heavily pc-dominated market, I'm sure there are plenty of avenues for growth among the burgeoning middle class. And with Microsoft setting up their own plans Sony can't get left behind. It looks like a new console war is going to happen in China, if so I wonder who gets out on top...

Mario007

And China just loooooves the US of A?

To be fair they do, but that doesn't really matter because the Chinese couldn't give two shits about Microsoft. And the anti-japanese sentiment is really overblown when it comes to consumer goods. Vita, PS3 and PS4 have the most shelf space in the unofficial shops over here.

KoopaTheCasual

Wow, looks like MS and Sony are really serious about China. I know that people say that it's already easy to find PS4s in China, but I feel this is a big deal that they'll now be able to officially advertise on tv and such, reaching a much wider audience. Of course I don't think they're do huge numbers out the gate, but a new official market is nothing to scoff at. Exciting times.

To be fair they do, but that doesn't really matter because the Chinese couldn't give two shits about Microsoft. And the anti-japanese sentiment is really overblown when it comes to consumer goods. Vita, PS3 and PS4 have the most shelf space in the unofficial shops over here.
Really? That surprises me. In Australia one of the underlying political themes is about how we have to balance our relationship between the two countries. Because China is one of the main reasons Australia didn't go belly up during the GFC, but the USA is one of our closest allies.
They each don't seem to like the fact we're cozy with the other.

Really? That surprises me. In Australia one of the underlying political themes is about how we have to balance our relationship between the two countries. Because China is one of the main reasons Australia didn't go belly up during the GFC, but the USA is one of our closest allies.
They each don't seem to like the fact we're cozy with the other.

One of the biggest animes in China is Initial D, a Japanese manga. It's so fucking huge there it's ridiculous.

Fact is when it comes to consumer products, (good) Japanese brands will have an edge over American ones. Same here in Malaysia.

Top Bottom