• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom beta will only be available on PS4, Xbox One & PC

Quentyn

The public beta for Doom will only be available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC, Bethesda has clarified, despite access also being included with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Instead, those who pre-order the Xbox 360 version of Wolfenstein will be offered access to the Xbox One beta, and PS3 pre-order customers provided access to the PS4 beta.

"DOOM beta access correlates to your pre-ordered Wolfenstein: The New Order platform," Bethesda wrote on the game's official website. "If you purchase an Xbox 360 or Xbox One version of Wolfenstein: The New Order, you will receive an invitation to the Xbox One DOOM beta. PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4 purchasers will receive an invite to the PS4 DOOM beta. All PC purchases will receive an invite to the PC DOOM beta.

"The DOOM Beta will only be available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC."

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/wolfe...only_be_available_on_ps4_xbox_one_and_pc.html

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
makes sense they'd want beta impressions floatinng around from those running the game on decent rigs

Techies

Xbox360 and PS3 owners should be given a choice to be honest if they want XboxOne, PS4 or PC version.

A lot of Xbox360 users went PS4 as an example.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I hope it's good. In a perfect world Raven would make it though. I really liked Q4 and Singularity is top tier FPS gaming.

This is why BF4 has so many issues ,the beta was on last gen.Make sense.

Isn't it pretty safe to say it was rushed to meet next gen launch?

Damian.

Banned
I had completely forgotten about the Doom reboot. Wonder how close the beta will be to the Wolfenstein release date. If it's close it may get me to bite on a preorder.

This is what I was hoping for. I wish they wouldn't lock the beta to the console brand, but at least they're letting last gen get into the current gen beta once they decide to upgrade.

Xbox360 and PS3 owners should be given a choice to be honest if they want XboxOne, PS4 or PC version.

A lot of Xbox360 users went PS4 as an example.

If they already WENT PS4 then why wouldn't they just pre-order the PS4 version?

I get that you probably meant to say for 360 owners who are looking into buying a PS4 down the line though :p.

antitrop

M9Oz.gif

Quentyn

A few more details from the updated FAQ.

IF I PRE-ORDER THE GAME DIGITALLY, WILL I STILL GET ACCESS TO THE DOOM BETA?

We are working with Steam, Microsoft, and Sony to help ensure that persons pre-ordering digitally from Steam, Microsoft, and Sony will receive access to the DOOM beta. Other digital retailers’ processes and/or participation may vary. We suggest contacting your preferred retailer directly for additional information.

WILL I NEED 1st PARTY PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTIONS IN ORDER TO PLAY THE DOOM BETA?

An Xbox Live Gold membership is required for the Xbox One beta. A PSN Plus membership is NOT required for the PlayStation 4 beta.

WILL THERE BE AN OPEN BETA FOR DOOM?

Timing and availability of future beta programs for DOOM is to be determined. The only current way to ensure an invitation is through pre-ordering Wolfenstein: The New Order. We will be providing more information on additional beta tests, if any, at a later time

http://www.bethblog.com/2014/04/02/updated-wolfenstein-pre-order-faq-w-doom-beta/

Whatever happens, this beta will be interesting. I can't see a new Doom from id succeeding with their current management problems, but there's always the element of surprise.

For a game that's going to have a public beta sometime this year(?), I'm very wary about its direction simply because there hasn't been any leaks about what tack they're taking with it....whether it's more inline with Doom 3 (yuck) or the classic Doom games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For a game that's going to have a public beta sometime this year(?), I'm very wary about its direction simply because there hasn't been any leaks about what tack they're taking with it....whether it's more inline with Doom 3 (yuck) or the classic Doom games.

The Doom beta is almost assuredly going to be MP-based and my prognostication is that Bethesda is hoping development will be far along enough for a debut during/in time for QuakeCon in July. The beta being "next-gen-only" shouldn't come as a surprise as the game proper is a 2015 title at best.

It's good that they're beta'ing it on these machines but it's kinda shitty that they, presumably, used access to it as an incentive to purchase another game, then only offer that beta on a machine that they have no reason to think the person actually has.

LoveCake

This will be happening a more from now on, ok it is not good for people who have not yet got a PS4/X1 but every generation this does happen, dev's need to decide which gen to support & some games it is not worth making on the previous generation, it is much better than when the original Xbox finished because as soon as the X360 was on the shelves all the Xbox games were canned for the system & moved to the X360.

If they already WENT PS4 then why wouldn't they just pre-order the PS4 version?

I get that you probably meant to say for 360 owners who are looking into buying a PS4 down the line though :p.

This is like me, i played my X360 much more than my PS3 but i have a PS4 now so i have Wolfenstein The New Order on order for my PS4.

_hekk05

Banned
WILL I NEED 1st PARTY PREMIUM SUBSCRIPTIONS IN ORDER TO PLAY THE DOOM BETA?

An Xbox Live Gold membership is required for the Xbox One beta. A PSN Plus membership is NOT required for the PlayStation 4 beta.

Xbox Live Gold #ValueForYourMoney

I'll be surprised if the Doom beta happens at all. I guess they must have some confidence in it coming together sometime soon if they're offering this though.

Nzyme32

I'll be surprised if the Doom beta happens at all. I guess they must have some confidence in it coming together sometime soon if they're offering this though.

If they are giving out beta invites, I'd be fairly sure it's happening. I can't recall a case where beta invites were given but a beta never happened. Please educate me though if there are cases like this

If they are giving out beta invites, I'd be fairly sure it's happening. I can't recall a case where beta invites were given but a beta never happened. Please educate me though if there are cases like this

I'm pretty sure it's happened before but I'm blanking on what it was. I want to say a Rainbow 6: Patriots beta was offered as a bonus before.

Nice to know on what platforms the beta for a game no one has seen will release... Sometimes i hate this industry. Living only on hype. Hype about something they didnt release any media about.

Spoo

I feel like it's likely this will be id software's last game; with all the development problems surrounding Doom 4, the employee exodus, seemingly poor leadership, I imagine id will either be converted to a tech studio to support id tech games, or just exist as a brand while it's silently dissolved into Beth studios.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm very interested to see how this game will end up looking [and I dont mean visuals, I mean entire package].

Top Bottom