• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congressman Jim Moran: "Members of Congress are underpaid."

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/04/05/a-democrat-thinks-members-of-congress-are-badly-underpaid/

"I think the American people should know that members of Congress are underpaid. I understand it’s widely felt that they underperform, but the fact is that this is the board of directors for the largest economic entity in the world. And a lot of members can’t even afford to live decently when they’re at their job in Washington"

Worst part about this is this guy is my congressman here in Arlington, VA. He used to be ok; not sure what the hell happened. I literally LOL'd at the last sentence and I'm stunned at how poor the timing of this comment was.

I sent him a note through his website, reminding him that his base pay is in addition to the numerous perks politicians get simply for being politicians.

The real issue is that Moran keeps having to give his money to his three ex-wives and it sounds like he's just bad at managing money in general.

Stet

Banned
get-a-brain-morans.jpg

dabig2

Let them eat bills. Or at least do their goddamn job. They're lucky they can't get fired after a quarterly review by their constituents.

People talking about cutting pay for members of Congress is a really good example of Idiot Populism.

If you can't make a living and feed your family while maintaining two households (one in your district, one in Washington) as a member of Congress, only the already-wealthy will hold political office and you'll make it impossible for anyone poor to consider public office. That's a situation that's already bad enough as it is.

CrankyJay

Banned
Define decently. These guys basically get inside information on stocks. If they can't make money off of that they probably shouldn't be in congress.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why don't we tie their salary to the minimum wage. Every time they vote to raise their own pay, they're forced to raise the minimum wage. I'm sure no one would mind them voting themselves some raises is it meant they weren't the only one to see a benefit.

Most people in Congress are already rich by the time they get there, because of how much money you need to actually win an election at that level (and getting to that level of popularity [enough to win a Senate seat] usually means you've done pretty very well at some level either in business or in politics).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
People talking about cutting pay for members of Congress is a really good example of Idiot Populism.

If you can't make a living and feed your family while maintaining two households (one in your district, one in Washington) as a member of Congress, only the already-wealthy will hold political office and you'll make it impossible for anyone poor to consider public office. That's a situation that's already bad enough as it is.

I mean, they do make $174,000 yearly. I'm fairly sure that can be reduced without making it impossible for anyone who is poor to consider public office.

I mean, they do make $174,000 yearly. I'm fairly sure that can be reduced without making it impossible for anyone who is poor to consider public office.

I'd be down for replacing some of the pay with expense accounts (like reimbursals for X dollars of travel to and from the home district and Y dollars of rent in Washington DC or the surrounding area).

Seth C

How about fuck you. You are serving your country, not getting rich. Their salary should be the median income for the area they serve and have their housing and meals while in DC covered. Get fucks like this out of there.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Do those other employees have to live and travel to two places?

We could just give them a dormitory to live in while in DC. The government buys a few buildings, or builds them, and gives each Congresman an apartment. So long as their family isn't moving to DC full-time.

I'd be down for replacing some of the pay with expense accounts (like reimbursals for X dollars of travel to and from the home district and Y dollars of rent in Washington DC or the surrounding area).

See, this is reasonable. If the problem is they can't afford the travel and extra apartment, then we can just reimburse them for it if they can't afford it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
UK MPs represent about 100,000 persons per riding and get paid $110,000 USD plus office budgets and housing subsidies and health benefits.

Canadian MPs represent about 100,000 persons per riding and get paid $145,000 USD plus office budgets and housing subsidies and health benefits.

French deputies represent about 110,000 persons per riding and get paid $125,000 USD plus office budgets and housing subsidies and health benefits

US Congresspersons represent about 735,000 persons per riding and get paid $170,000 USD plus office budgets and housing subsidies and health benefits.

Australian MPs represent about 150,000 persons per riding and get paid $180,000 USD plus office budgets and housing subsidies and health benefits.

Besides "politicians suck, pay 'em peanuts, viva la revolucion", US congresspeople are actually underpaid in a comparative context given the average number of people per their district. There are of course other measures to consider; multiple of average wage in the country, differences in cost of living, etc but it's certainly not the case that US politicians are overpaid compared to politicians in other comparable countries.

Culex

Banned

My wife and I have a combined income of about 88k, and live comfortably. As a member of congress, I'd be making TWICE that (without spousal income), have health insurance that is paid by the public, and plenty of other opportunities to make an extra buck.

They are definitely NOT underpaid.

ISOM

UK MPs represent about 100,000 persons per riding and get paid $110,000 USD plus office budgets and housing subsidies and health benefits.

Canadian MPs represent about 100,000 persons per riding and get paid $145,000 USD plus office budgets and housing subsidies and health benefits.

French deputies represent about 110,000 persons per riding and get paid $125,000 USD plus office budgets and housing subsidies and health benefits

US Congresspersons represent about 735,000 persons per riding and get paid $170,000 USD plus office budgets and housing subsidies and health benefits.

Australian MPs represent about 150,000 persons per riding and get paid $180,000 USD plus office budgets and housing subsidies and health benefits.

Besides "politicians suck, pay 'em peanuts, viva la revolucion", US congresspeople are actually underpaid in a comparative context given the average number of people per their district. There are of course other measures to consider; multiple of average wage in the country, differences in cost of living, etc but it's certainly not the case that US politicians are overpaid compared to politicians in other comparable countries.

I'd like to see an asset comparison to other countries. As far as I know there is no insider trading laws in congress.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

The majority of them are millionaires though.

http://time.com/373/congress-is-now-mostly-a-millionaires-club/

For the first time, more than half of congressional lawmakers are worth at least $1 million

The Center for Responsive Politics analyzed the personal financial disclosure data from 2012 of the 534 current members of Congress and found that, for the first time, more than half had an average net worth of $1 million or more: 268 to be exact, up from 257 the year earlier. The median for congressional Democrats was $1.04 million and, for Republicans, $1 million even.

Congressman McClueless said:
And a lot of members can’t even afford to live decently when they’re at their job in Washington

devilhawk

If they eliminated all their outside income, insider trading etc., I would definitely agree they should get a pay raise.

Paskil

He's right, to a certain extent. I don't agree with them getting a raise though. Government jobs are nearly always paid less than their private sector equivalent. Also, if you're so worried about what a board member at a top company is making, GO GET A FUCKING JOB WITH THAT COMPANY.

You're a public servant, not a CEO or board member. To expect similar pay is ridiculous and laughable.

So the answer is to increase the number of representatives then.

Anion

$170,000 seems fine to me, cause I dont want the job pay to be too little for the poorer ones who are good/ideal congressmen/women and I dont want them to make more extra money to fool around.

Well if your talking about parity, I think it could be cheaper to increase pay by a bit more than hire another ~170k+ person

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Personally, I'd have said the problem here was "the United States does not have enough elected officials to properly represent its population" and not "the United States does not pay its elected officials enough".

EDIT: Beaten like Federer at Roland Garros.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Travel is a separate expense from salary in almost all countries, including the US. The base allowance in the US is about a quarter-million dollars but there's a mileage rate because obviously someone taking the train to their house in Maryland isn't subject to the same pressures as someone whose district is a billion square mega-acres in Alaska or whatever. Rent deductions vary from country to country, but most politicians in DC are not really living in "luxury"--that's certainly not to say that they're poor or living in public housing, but most aren't able to maintain a regal palatial residence. This article about the house where Dick Durban, Bill Delahunt, Chuck Schumer, and George Miller lived together is certainly not an anomaly.

I'd like to see an asset comparison to other countries. As far as I know there is no insider trading laws in congress.

Americans congresspersons are dramatically richer than most other countries politicians when they enter, and when they leave.

Personally, I'd have said the problem here was "the United States does not have enough elected officials to properly represent its population" and not "the United States does not pay its elected officials enough".

This might not have the intended effect; studies of very large deliberative bodies show significant stresses related to the size of the body. The problem is dramatically exacerbated in the US because by virtue of not being a parliamentary system. There are a few problems associated with this: because the executive is separate from the legislature, there's limited structural penalty for going against your own party. Moreover, the legislative branch and the executive can be split and at odds. Finally, the US has a massively more open primary/nomination system than other democracies, so candidates tend to be quite a good deal more diverse relative to the party median than in other countries. You know how the US has party whips to make sure members vote with the party? Yeah, whips are much much weaker in the US compared to most parliamentary democracies, where total obedience by the average MP is expected. All this puts together to say that there are a lot of mechanisms that make the system run less smoothly than in most countries and contribute towards gridlock. Increasing the size of the chamber would for the most part make this worse. I don't study deliberative chambers so I wouldn't be able to tell you the latest research, but I know the consensus is that there are big scaling problems.

As a point of comparison, India's parliament has 800 MPs. For 800,000,000+ voters and 1.2 billion+ constituents.

Another difference that might make those original numbers a little hard to compare directly is that the US Senate is much more powerful than the upper house of most countries, and that Senators do a lot more direct district representation than most upper houses. So some burden that the population numbers would have you believe is placed on the congressperson is also spread to the senator.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This might not have the intended effect; studies of very large deliberative bodies show significant stresses related to the size of the body. The problem is dramatically exacerbated in the US because by virtue of not being a parliamentary system. There are a few problems associated with this: because the executive is separate from the legislature, there's limited structural penalty for going against your own party. Moreover, the legislative branch and the executive can be split and at odds. Finally, the US has a massively more open primary/nomination system than other democracies, so candidates tend to be quite a good deal more diverse relative to the party median than in other countries. You know how the US has party whips to make sure members vote with the party? Yeah, whips are much much weaker in the US compared to most parliamentary democracies, where total obedience by the average MP is expected. All this puts together to say that there are a lot of mechanisms that make the system run less smoothly than in most countries and contribute towards gridlock. Increasing the size of the chamber would for the most part make this worse. I don't study deliberative chambers so I wouldn't be able to tell you the latest research, but I know the consensus is that there are big scaling problems.

Which brings in the second part of the argument: make the United States a parliamentary democracy instead of sticking with an outdated and broken system that was specifically designed to be non-democratic and non-functional, and displays remarkable degree of inertia towards becoming anything different.

#presidentialismsucks

Ceebs

Someone should ask him "If you can't afford to live decently on your pay, how do your unpaid interns survive at all?"

You should look into those who serve in Congress and their net worth before going in and then after their service. Most end up multi millionaires. Senators even more so.

_woLf

Little does he know the lengths most people in this country would go to even make half of what he does a year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You should look into those who serve in Congress and their net worth before going in and then after their service. Most end up multi millionaires. Senators even more so.

As I mentioned in my second reply, I am aware; this is not a function of their salary, though. It's a separate issue. The idea of saying, for example, "Congresspersons shouldn't be paid paid at all because they're just going to exploit the system and get loaded rich anyway lol" is a pretty bad way to look at this as an issue.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Moran needs more money to support his son since he doesn't have a job after resigning after that video of him giving tips to assist in voter fraud.

As I mentioned in my second reply, I am aware; this is not a function of their salary, though. It's a separate issue. The idea of saying, for example, "Congresspersons shouldn't be paid paid at all because they're just going to exploit the system and get loaded rich anyway lol" is a pretty bad way to look at this as an issue.

Fair enough points.

Your first comment caught my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom