• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE announces H1Z1 | F2P Zombie MMO launching in 4-6 weeks

Dinjooh

cBx5zRg.png

Hi there,

I wanted to tell you about an exciting new free-to-play game we’ve had under wraps here at SOE for some time. It’s called H1Z1. It’s a massively multiplayer game in which players fight for survival in a world where death is the only sure thing. The H1Z1 virus devastated mankind and left nothing but death and destruction in its wake and a world nearly empty of human life where the remnants of humanity are in a fight against extinction against those infected with the virus. It’s been 15 years since H1Z1 was first encountered and what’s left of the world before is overrun with the Infected. Humanity has been reduced to hiding in the shadows, searching desperately for food and water and anything that can help to survive even for another day. But the Infected aren’t the only dangers in the world. Everyday life in the Apocalypse means dealing with all kinds of wild animals and the brutality of other survivors, as well as finding your next meal and a safe place to sleep. It also means scavenging or crafting anything that can help you live just one more day. In H1Z1 every minute of every day is borrowed time and fearing for your life… unless you are the Danger (talking to you Walter), but life can and will go on… even in circumstances as dire as this. Humanity has not given in to the Infected. There are still pockets of humanity and the fight goes on!

More at:
http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/22niku/what_is_h1z1/

• Uses Forgelight which is SOE's current generation MMO Engine, capable of supporting up to 2,000 players in a single instance.
  • Nights are going to be dark and full of terrors. "you need to have a torch and you will be ganked by other players, zombies"
  • Player Construction confirmed. As is burning things down.
  • 'Launching on PC, we have yet to discuss other platforms... but we are Sony'
  • Huge crafting system
  • No leveling, no skills

Alpha Gameplay | Offscreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lneZYriSbG4

Wait, wait, wait. SoE announced a ftp game and its NOT currently releasing on PS4?

Wtf. From incredibly excited to disappointed in seconds :(

Slair

I'm worried about how they monetise it. You don't survive in a survival game by buying shit from a shop.

Tratorn

PS4-version was pretty much confirmed on the stream, but it'll launch on PC first. Hope we don't have to wait as long as we do for PlanetSide 2 on PS4...

Syf

Banned
I'm very interested. The reveal show wasn't so good but the footage was from January and everything I've read has been good news so far.

First off, it’s a persistent MMO that can hold thousands of players on servers we host (yes there will be multiple servers with very different rule sets).
I take it this means we might see PvP and PvE servers.

Kade

Hopefully they understand what makes games like DayZ and Rust awesome. Would hate for them to compromise the Wild West nature in favour of something more structured and overdesigned.

Dugna

You know, I want one of these to let us play as zombies for once. Or maybe have us turn into Zombies if we get bit but then we can still play.

syko de4d

Wait, wait, wait. SoE announced a ftp game and its NOT currently releasing on PS4?

Wtf. From incredibly excited to disappointed in seconds :(

it will come to ps4 like EQN will come. Only game where i dont know if they could it bring to ps4 is landmark because the building tools are way to complex for a pad.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'll echo my comment from the other thread.
They really need to show more in-depth gameplay that isn't over the shoulder like in the very brief trailer. I'm rather wary because from that first glimpse it looks exactly like DayZ with Rust elements built on the PlanetSide 2 engine. Oh and fire.

Right now, this screams of bandwagon jumping because they know the genre is still fresh for the picking, and that is clear because of how quickly they are pushing the game out to the public. We'll be getting early access in under a month, with paid access most likely the case if Landmark is anything to go by.

Everything that Smedley is talking about sounds interesting, but I don't know if it could be feasible. If this is going to take place on one giant server, how well will player interaction outside of America go? Will I lag terribly if I'm in Australia? Will there be local shards? That's one of the beautiful things about DayZ and Rust, I can run a local server and get the best experience possible. Its just like any FPS, lower pings are far more reasonable and allow for better enjoyment.

In saying all that, what I have heard sounds interesting. I love this genre because it allows players to be the dicks they really are, and not be punished for it. It allows experimentation and unique content to flourish because of player interaction. No two scenarios will be the same because of that gameplay. Hopefully H1Z1 can deliver on that, because they may have some rather large potential here.

That is, if they don't rush it out the door.

SOE is like the rogue brother in SCE that acts on a completely different wavelength compared to the WWS.

It's Smed being Smed as usual.

nampad

Sony needs to hold the leash of SOE tighter, a PS4 port should be available at launch :/

While there are so many Zombie/Survival games out there, still none is complete. DayZ had an incredible atmosphere but it is unfortunately very buggy. Hope SOE can improve on that. Will this game have perma death?

Wish the console version comes soon so I don't have to run it on my old PC and have to deal with cheaters.

Syf

Banned
They really need to show more in-depth gameplay that isn't over the shoulder like in the very brief trailer. I'm rather wary because from that first glimpse it looks exactly like DayZ with Rust elements built on the PlanetSide 2 engine. Oh and fire.
They will be live streaming the current build next week as well as releasing screenshots and videos.

Violater

This is not how you announce a game and get people excited.
This is our game, show gameplay announce cross play pc and console. Why can't they get it right?

elyetis

Will follow closely given DayZ developement speed.

Thought not really that confident with the idea of F2P for that kind of game, but planetside 2 isn't too bad ( thought money do give a advantage in it, we are still far from dota 2 or PoE ) on that aspect so who know.

SHADES

Smart move, releasing on PC with PS4 to follow!

Have to say, this looks like everything I've dreamed of & may just save me spending £400 upgrading my rig to run DayZ as it should be played, high hope's here!

Sony needs to hold the leash of SOE tighter, a PS4 port should be available at launch :/

While there are so many Zombie/Survival games out there, still none is complete. DayZ had an incredible atmosphere but it is unfortunately very buggy. Hope SOE can improve on that. Will this game have perma death?

Wish the console version comes soon so I don't have to run it on my old PC and have to deal with cheaters.

This is whats been annoying. Everyone seems to just rush out the product and fix it along the way. With DayZ it was fine since its what started all this, but seeing the others do that bugs me and pretty much kills my hype to have a solid polished version of this type of game.

Top Bottom