• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nate Wells (Lead Artist) left Naughty Dog, joined Giant Sparrow as Art Director

All conspiracy theories aside, it's truly a shame that such great talent has been leaving that studio.

Well, once a game is complete, many devs go on a break to refocus, rest, relax, re evaluate what they want to do next. Some find other jobs or New opportunities. This could be a good thing for all parties involved, for all we know, this could have been planned after TLOU shipped and the groundwork was laid for the remaster.

There has definitely been some stuff going on at naughty dog, but it's all not necessarily doom and gloom..heck, they could have only signed him for one game based on a portfolio of post apocalyptic work he had done that fit well in TLOU universe.

When great talent leaves, it opens awesome opportunities for some younger talent to get their shot...

In the past few weeks we've been having a lot of news about lay offs, staff moving to other studios, etc. Wouldn't it be beneficial for said studios to retain their proven talent?

We don't know what each individual's respective reasons for leaving are, and no company can specifically tailor their organisation to individual career needs.

Let's make some assumptions. Assume individual A, after working on a big project, wants to work on something of a different style, but cannot because company decided to make a sequel. Wouldn't the rational choice to be leave then? Why work on something you're not passionate about? AAA-game development is a 2-4 year journey.

Or if individual A wants to climb up the ladder to a director role, but the role is filled with no signs of vacancy anytime soon. The company is not going to create a director seat specifically for individual A. ND specifically mentioned that part of the reason for the creation of a 2nd-team was to facilitate capable people into stronger responsibilities and roles, since more teams means more directors, leads and core-creatives to reduce their guys leaving... because ND devs are highly talented, and their leads are capable of holding higher positions or even director roles in other studios.

I wonder if all of this manufactured drama will play into the review and reception of UC4? Like will every little detail be nitpicked and the talent that has left be brought up as the reason?

By the way I think UC4 will release this year and is feature complete at this point or close, and also know VO and mocap actors said they wrapped months ago. As you say though why bring logic into this?

I very much doubt UC4 will score as high as 2 and 3, even if it's just as good. People like seeing giants fall and right now it seems ND are prime targets. We've also seen that a lot of the "press" have quite the agenda. We'll see though.

Bioshock, The Last of Us, dude has mad talent and Unfinished Swan looked gorgeous (don't have a PS3) so they could have another visually striking game on their hands.

Truant

Didn't he join TLOU during the final stretches? I imagine he worked primarily on the DLC.

He's probably the most famous Art Director in the business, so he could do whatever he wants. The dude invented the Big Daddy, one of the most iconic characters of modern video game history.

haystax

Neo Member
Most Lead Artists at major studios don't do much actual art themselves they tend to spend most of their time wrangling other hands-on artists in more of a management capacity. So let's keep our pants on.

Shin-Ra

That's what happens when tou burn people out on remakes and sequels.
TLoU wasn't a sequel (he only moved to ND during TLoU didn't he?) and probably wouldn't have needed to give much input on Remastered.

Interesting to see how Giant Sparrow move on from this (first level's style only)

i5Fdv1DuUQ8Dv.png
ib0Pfs0JNPZLPI.png

iKcoHmEVLLf3K.png
iZprdbq1S1Kr4.png

Sotha_Sil

I don't get these news. Why would someone, willingly, leave one of the most renowned studios, behind some of the most acclaimed titles ever? Why would someone have them fired, by the same reasons?

I know these things have always been the norm, and we're only hearing more about it is because of the social networks and such, but I still don't get the reasons behind this. If a studio did poorly, It's understandable that they try to reshape their resources, but Naughty Dog? So many people leaving and I can't understand why. They're financially and critically successful. Why would you leave the best? If you're one of the best why would they make you leave? Don't get it.

I'm sure the studios aren't pushing these guys out. I bet that a lot of them simply would rather have more control over a project than being a cog in the machine at a big developer allows for, even if that means going to a smaller studio.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
It's practically good news. I thought the last Giant Sparrow game was good on ideas and light on everything else. They'll need some art help.

What to believe? This logical answer?
This.

There's anywhere between half a dozen to two dozen job openings available in practically any major AAA-studio, updated monthly. (ND's April job opening update shows 16 openings.)

That means people are leaving, and have been that way ever since before any of the current drama takes place.

Any organisation with over hundreds of employees, in a highly competitive marketplace, ripe with poaching/headhunting will have talent leave relatively frequently, because of better opportunities, or simply because they want a different challenge.

Or this?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Nate previously worked on Infinite and left mid development, while he didn't say why, it was rumored that it was because of creative differences between him and Levine (which is really a kind way to put it). He might want to scale down and work on more simple and creative games, which is what Giant Sparrow is probably doing.

He had to work through the crunch period of TLOU, so he probably got burned pretty quickly of having to work on AAA games.

Still bums me out, because his work on TLOU was top notch. But I'm glad he went somewhere close.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jumping companies too frequently is usually a red flag regarding the employee not the company
He stayed at his previous jobs until the companies were on the verge of shutdown: https://touch.www.linkedin.com/?ses...p://www.linkedin.com/pub/nate-wells/7/156/4ba

If you want to use his track record as a sign it's not the message I think you're going for. :p

Lead Artist
Naughty Dog
September 2012 - Present (1 year 8 months)

Art Director
Irrational Games
September 1999 - August 2012 (13 years)

Artist
looking glass technologies
1996 - 1999 (3 years)
Artist- Cut-scene matte painter, texture artist, environmental artist

He'll be missed if they do a TLOU2: Cordyceps Boogaloo, but I imagine he'll be able to really experiment and do cool things with the Unfinished Swan people. I support this move (no pun intended). I can see them working on a Project Morpheus title, US would have been perfect for it.

V_Ben

Banned
Unfinished Swan was gorgeous, so I'm excited to see what their next thing is. TGC's Chris Bell has joined them too, so I'm expecting big things for their PS4 game.

GDC Vault: Unfinished Swan from Student Prototype to Commercial Game (worth watching to see how they managed their team, why they went with Sony rather than full indie, and networking with thatgamecompany)

Unfinished Swan was gorgeous, so I'm excited to see what their next thing is. TGC's Chris Bell has joined them too, so I'm expecting big things for their PS4 game.

Oh nice, I liked that WAY game Chris Bell made a while back which seemed like a prototype for Journey.

DedValve

Banned
Was he the artist responsible for creating big daddy and the infected of TLOU? If so that dude is amazingly talented and can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

Also fuck drukmann, he fired my father, my best friend and my dog! Perhaps America wouldn't be 10 million unemployed if it weren't for him!
/s

stryke

Was he the artist responsible for creating big daddy and the infected of TLOU? If so that dude is amazingly talented and can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

I really don't know how much influence Wells had on the art on TLOU but the main person responsible for the look of the infected is Michael Knowland.

Neff

At first I thought there was some internal ruthlessness going on, but the more I see of this, the more it sounds to me like word is getting around that Sony is unable or unwilling to match job offers from other companies in light of their financial situation, and so eager headhunters are lining up to poach talent at fair prices.

Read as Evan Wells and though shit was getting real bad at ND.

Oh. This is the Irrational guy who joined in 2012. Yeah. Not sure how much he would contributed to TLOU in its final months. Shame he didnt stay around long enough to work on a game from the start.

I look forward to sparrows next thing. They still have 2 games left with SCE right? With the power of the PS4 maybe the next game will have textures. (kidding)

nomis

Didn't he join TLOU during the final stretches? I imagine he worked primarily on the DLC.

He's probably the most famous Art Director in the business, so he could do whatever he wants. The dude invented the Big Daddy, one of the most iconic characters of modern video game history.

Jesus, I'm just imagining this guy handing someone a resume.

Should really just be a business card.

PaulAllenView.jpg

"I designed the Big Daddy."

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think I remember him saying shortly after he left Irrational that he was burnt out on major projects which is why I was surprised he went to ND in the first place. Seems like a good fit for Giant Sparrow.

At first I thought there was some internal ruthlessness going on, but the more I see of this, the more it sounds to me like word is getting around that Sony is unable or unwilling to match job offers from other companies in light of their financial situation, and so eager headhunters are lining up to poach talent at fair prices.

That could be what's happening in other cases but not here. He left a major Sony studio to work at a very small studio that's currently under contract with Sony.

IvorB

I don't get these news. Why would someone, willingly, leave one of the most renowned studios, behind some of the most acclaimed titles ever? Why would someone have them fired, by the same reasons?

In the past few weeks we've been having a lot of news about lay offs, staff moving to other studios, etc. Wouldn't it be beneficial for said studios to retain their proven talent?

I know these things have always been the norm, and we're only hearing more about it is because of the social networks and such, but I still don't get the reasons behind this. If a studio did poorly, It's understandable that they try to reshape their resources, but Naughty Dog? So many people leaving and I can't understand why. They're financially and critically successful. Why would you leave the best? If you're one of the best why would they make you leave? Don't get it.

Hope Nate continues his great work and finds success in Giant Sparrow!

Because it's not about the company; it's about the individual. Yeah Naughty Dog is doing great but maybe this guy will be doing better at the new place he is going to. It seems like he got a promotion and probably more cash to go with it. Gotta look out for number one, man.

Top Bottom