• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armello, digital card/board game with a bit of GoT and Don Bluth [Kickstarter]

Mdk7

Hey Gaf, thanks to the latest Darkest Dungeon update i stumbled upon a project that's currently on Kickstarter that i think deserves your attention.

It's called Armello, and it's described as "a digital card and board game of heroes and high-adventure" made by a Melbourne-based collective of designers known as League of Geeks.
First of all, two astonishing trailers to get in the mood, with the second one giving me strong GoT vibes...
Debut trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFnvUMtFhHI
Horrors & Heroes trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-bg0YqwfE0

Some more info from the Kickstarter page:
Armello combines the adventure of role-playing games with the strategy of card and board games!
f73062d660a71f35b3b4155e0a16e98b_large.gif

The King, once Armello's wise and benevolent ruler, has fallen ill to a dark and mysterious force known only as the Rot. Slowly eating his body and soul, the Rot twists him deeper and deeper into madness. In response, Armello's Great Clans have called forth their Heroes to claim the throne of Armello; and this is where you start your adventure, Hero.
As a 'Hero' from one of the Great Clans of Armello, you'll quest, scheme, explore, vanquish monsters, perform the Mad King's royal edicts and face off against other players with one ultimate end goal in mind — storming the palace and becoming king or queen of Armello!

Will you gain followers, powerful treasures and hone your martial skills to challenge the King in combat and take his throne? Will you seek the healing powers of the Spirit Stones and quest across the kingdom facing Perils and danger? Will you defend the King and position yourself politically to be named his successor when he finally falls to the Rot? Or will you succumb to the Rot yourself, leave horror in your wake and claim the throne in the name of darkness?
3763bcecb6d7fbe9680fff09011accfc_large.gif

In Armello, players use action points to move their hero across the board. During a turn you'll complete quests, capture settlements to raise your income, encounter followers, explore dungeons for treasures, vanquish the horrific Banes, and battle other heroes using our unique dice-based combat system!
There's no boring down time in Armello. After you hit the 'End Turn' button you'll be busy equipping items, recruiting followers and purchasing talents in your hero's unique talent tree. Maybe you're playing cards to the board as Perils for other heroes to stumble into or perhaps you're playing cards to strike up temporary allegiances... they're always temporary.
Armello uses a unique night and day cycle to shift the dynamics of play; the decisions you make will be affected by your hero's preferred time, whether adventuring bravely through the darkness or exposed in sunlight. Night time brings about a host of dangers; terrifying Banes erupt from dungeons to stalk victims and heroes await in ambush, concealed in the darkness. Dawn brings little respite; the King's Guards patrol the kingdom looking for traitors while the King himself slips deeper and deeper into madness, his edicts and demands becoming more outrageous as the game progresses.
Whether you take the throne or not will depend entirely on how you navigate all of this and the other heroes on the board. Do you have what it takes to become Armello's next king or queen?

7779f760c092cefdc14c900b659e21d3_large.jpg

Key Features:
- Easy to Pick Up but a Challenge to Master - Combination of Card, Dice, Hex and Symbol sets makes it intuitive to play, yet deep with combinations and options.
- Fast & Thoughtful - Adventuring in Armello is fast-paced swashbuckling fun, but also filled with tactical and political complexity, requiring meaningful decisions and forethought.
- Multiple Playable Heroes - Each unique hero possesses a special power, a personalised skill tree and customisable load-outs via Amulets and Signet Rings.
- Animated Cards - Over 100 beautifully illustrated and animated cards, from artists all over the world.
- True Tabletop Feel - We spent months making sure we cherry-picked the best parts of the tabletop experience, like our custom physics-based dice system!
- Local & Online Multiplayer - Play with your friends on multiple tablet devices or PCs, or jump online and be matched up with players from the Armello community.
- Engaging Single Player - Your friends are busy? Play on your own against A.I. Each hero features their own tailored A.I., making each hero a special challenge.
- Discover Your Play-Style - No ‘class’ system, modify heroes as you play to adapt to each individual game.
- Dynamic Questlines - Explore, vanquish, fight, or scheme your way to the throne. In Armello, each clan has unique questlines that change every time you play.
- Living World - Procedurally generated 3D hex map and fully animated 3D characters.
- Turn-Based Day/Night Cycle - Gameplay is impacted by the time of day and players can continue to perform actions during their 'off-turn'. Equip and play cards, upgrade your hero and strategise while your opponents have their turn!
- Designed Specifically for Digital Platforms - With digital-only capabilities and features, such as Stealth and more.
- Expanded World - With companion Novellas and animated shorts, and additional game content planned for future expansions.
- World Class Music & Audio - By Michael Allen, internationally acclaimed artist Lisa Gerrard, and Jacek Tuschewski.

1b5063baddbdfbd62c2aa353f702cafa_large.jpg

I got madly in love just by looking at the art (and OMG that soundtrack!), but after reading all the features i think this project is incredibly solid, so i backed it in a heartbeat (i personally chose the Bandit digital tier to get this exclusive set of heroes as a bonus, along with lots of other stuff, for 55 $AUD).
Unfortunately the Kickstarter is not going as strong as expected at the moment: it's currently at 67% of the 200.000$ AUD and has just 16 days to get there.
C'mon GAF, you know what to do... let's turn this into a reality! :D

0b9ed4a6e69dfeb92a6578a3ef742b4c_large.gif

d30be24f836dc953375081ae1ffffcc0_large.gif

ddd876f0f0b52d2748fb618c7d319d8e_large.gif

9c443ac999365a02d8dc4d327779b290_large.gif

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Wow this looks really good. Am almost tempted to become a backer there for the Squirrel character lol

Ubersnug

I don't understand the animal characters criticism. I think it adds alot of charm and character to game, also makes a nice change from the standard fantasy human archetypes.

But thanks OP, I'm going to back this now. Think it looks fantastic. And yeah, that soundtrack is sounding real good.

doublefrost

Neo Member
More interesting and easily communicable, also universally likeable.

I dunno about 'universally'. For some (ie. me) this style is a deal breaker. I'll put up with it sometimes, but even pretty good games like Sine Mora or Dust are unsettling and significantly worse-off for their stylistic choices. This stuff actually looks really technically proficient, even if I don't really like it. It's about 100000x better than the majority of personified-animal games which seriously belong back on deviantArt.

I get that there's big contingent of gamers who are also furries. That's fine too. And I imagine this is a pretty appealing title for them. Cool!

But universal? Not so much.

Mdk7

I don't understand the animal characters criticism. I think it adds alot of charm and character to game, also makes a nice change from the standard fantasy human archetypes.

But thanks OP, I'm going to back this now. Think it looks fantastic. And yeah, that soundtrack is sounding real good.

#BROFIST

Axiom

I played it at PAX Australia, it wasn't bad and you could see potential. But there really wasn't much game (or at least gameplay that I understood) from what I played

Mdk7

Update: 70% of the game funded, 140.5K $ AUD out of 200K $ AUD.
I really, really hope Armello can make it (there are still 14 days to go).

Gryph

Some new media for this has been popping up as they head into their final week. It's looking really lovely.

I have a soft spot for Video Board Games and the stuff I've heard about this sounds good. They're trying to capture that multiplayer progression:

Early cooperation -> Jockeying for position -> Furiously backstabbing everyone

The kinda feeling that the best boardgames have.

From the looks of it they'll hit their goal anyway, but I dropped my money in there, I want that otter hero...

ByteSizeRick

Neo Member
Sorry to raise this from the dead, but there is a bit of a fight going on as of a couple of hours ago between League of Geeks (the developers) and their Kickstarter backers, based on the update they posted today. In pertinent part:

During the Kickstarter we spoke of wanting to do cross-platform content and progress (i.e., unlock stuff on your PC and have that progress on your tablet when you pick it up next, etc). [They had promised that everything purchased would be available on any platform in which a backer purchased the baseline application]. Naturally, since the Kickstarter ended we’ve been working towards making this happen. [snip]

The long and short of it; we won’t be doing cross-platform content for Armello.

So, no, those bonuses you bought for use on iOS, you won't get those anymore, but we may sell them to you:

...a strong backlash from the Steam community, alarmed by the fact that we have gameplay content that will be forever locked off to them, took us by surprise. The fact that we are unable to do cross-platform content also means there are certain platforms where we won’t be able to provide in-game content (including backer exclusive content) without making it publicly available. For example, iOS, Windows and Android tablets, as well as DRM Free desktop versions. [snip]

After much investigation, these are the two options we can offer where we maintain our promise of exclusivity to backers, but also act upon the issues brought to light when we launched on Early Access.

Timed Exclusive (Available on All Platforms):

•All backers receive their exclusive in-game content via Steam and it will remain exclusive (with all of the restrictions outlined in the Perpetual Exclusive option below) until the launch of the iOS version (expected several months later).

•When the iOS version launches we will make backer content available to the public as paid DLC. This will also enable you (and your friends) to purchase content that you didn’t have the opportunity to purchase during the Kickstarter campaign.

•At this point, we will also make backer exclusive content available for use in Public and Ranked games!
or

Perpetual Exclusive (Available on Steam Only):

•All backers receive their exclusive in-game content via Steam only for PC, Mac and Linux.

•Backer exclusive content (Bandit Clan heroes, etc) will only be available in Singleplayer and Private multiplayer games.

•Backer exclusive content will be unavailable in Public and Ranked multiplayer games.

•Your friends will be able to play as the Bandit Clan Heroes, but only in Private games with you.

The Company has since admitted that even if the timed exclusive option is selected, they don't know that they can gift everyone the content they have already purchased through the kickstarter on iOS (and may instead NEED to sell it as DLC). They have also hidden all of this in backer blocked updates and on a backer blocked forum.

Perhaps this is too small potatoes for this forum, but it is an interesting jumping off point for a discussion on promises in Kickstarters, especially when the project itself has not fallen tragically off the rails (technically or from a design perspective), but instead features a developer that simply wishes to renege on its promises for business or other reasons.

OldMuffin

Hey guys sorry for necroing this, but first things first yes this is my first post on NeoGAF, and no I am not some sort of insider, but I heard from reliable sources that Armello is coming out on ps4!! This hasn't been confirmed yet, but it should be revealed soon (e3 perhaps?). Now as it is I cannot reveal my source, but I can confirm my source with a admin on private message, so please hit me up.

Rymuth

Hey guys sorry for necroing this, but first things first yes this is my first post on NeoGAF, and no I am not some sort of insider, but I heard from reliable sources that Armello is coming out on ps4!! This hasn't been confirmed yet, but it should be revealed soon (e3 perhaps?). Now as it is I cannot reveal my source, but I can confirm my source with a admin on private message, so please hit me up.
Confirmed

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/05/26/armello-coming-to-ps4-inspired-by-tabletop-games/

JSR_Cube

I Was interested in the kickstarter but decided to wait. I will definitely try this on the PS4. The Steam reviews seem very positive so far.

PS4 needs more games like this.

Top Bottom