• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs' 6 multiplayer modes (Free Roam, Tailing, ctOS, Hacking, Race, Decryption)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This seems somewhat expanded over what they were initially talking about.

GameZone said:
Watch Dogs offers up six different modes that are instantly available from the in-game smartphone. Simply open up the map, scroll over to the multiplayer map and pick a mode. The game then auto matches you to others that are compatible with you. The six modes are Tailing, ctOS Mobile Challenge (which I cover here), Hacking, Race, Decryption and Free Roam. With the exception of Free Roam, I was able to get some decent hands on time with the rest of the online modes.

Free Roam:
[Nirolak's Note: This is the 8 player free roam thing, but it wasn't available at the event. The name probably makes what this is fairly inherent though.]

Tailing:
Tailing is the low risk and low reward option. In this mode, I had to essentially stalk another player without raising suspicion to myself. On my screen, I'm Aiden Pearce, on and the other player's screen, he's also Aiden Pearce, but to each other, we look like random Chicago civilians. My favorite part of Tailing is that the other player is never notified he's being 'invaded.' You can finish a Tailing mission without ever alerting the other player of your presence.

Hacking:
Once I got a taste of the low risk Tailing missions, it was time to put my Notoriety on the line through Hacking missions. Here I had to travel to a player's location and start a backdoor connection to their smartphone. Once this is initiated, the player is instantly notified and it becomes a game of cat and mouse, where the hacker tries to stay out of sight of the player that's now trying to hunt him down.

Decryption:
Decryption is the only one that's team oriented. A group of of players will go up against another group, trying to steal files and take it to a given location. I've played this mode (and Race mode actually) the least since I was so taken by Tailing and Hacking, but it was certainly enjoyable and does take some careful coordination to pull off correctly.

Race:
Race is as straightforward as it sounds. You pick from various predetermined races, get in a car and go.

ctOS Mobile Challenge:
Like I've mentioned in my Multiplayer impressions, one of the six online modes includes the ctOS Mobile Challenge. In this mode, players on the console can ping either random players or their friends with the app installed on their tablets. Likewise, tablet players can search for anyone with an open connection to their game. When matched, it becomes a sort of cat and mouse game, but instead of the tablet player being just the cat, he's more like a cat trying to build an elaborate mouse trap.
The goal of the console player is to drive through a certain number of checkpoints, while avoiding various traps and ambushes set down by the player, before time runs out. Sounds easy, right? Except the tablet player has some serious advantages. They essentially become a real life embodiment of Aiden Pearce, except being on the right side of the law. The app displays the entire city of Chicago, the player's location, and icons indicating traps that can be set off, such as blockers, burt pipes or causing a traffic jam. To keep things fair though, every trap is associated with a cost, and the only way the tablet player accrues more points is to drag his finger over the console player's location at all times.
Source 1: http://www.gamezone.com/previews/20...review-it-s-dark-souls-meets-assassin-s-creed
Source 2: http://www.gamezone.com/previews/20...bring-some-hacking-action-into-the-real-world

Free Roam will be fun, Tailing/Hacking sound real sweet in a hide yourself kind of manner, and Decryption sounds real cool.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Ubisoft has done it. After years of being bitched at for their tailing mission they've made it multiplayer to make it more interesting.

sunnz

Hope free roam has some activities, like robbing stores and such.

8 players? hmm...

Either way, more open world games should have free roam.

GameSeeker

While the different modes sound good on paper, after watching the videos and reading the previews, it looks like the modes are 5% hacking, 70% combat (guns/grendades/etc)., 25% driving/chasing. There are hundreds of games that are about guns, grenades, and driving. I was hoping the game was more about hacking and required some "thinking skill" and not just push a button to hack and then fire your gun 50 times to get through the rest of the scenario.

Volotaire

It doesn't sound quite as integrated as the concept video at E3 '12, but these multiplayer modes sound quite fresh and seamless to transition from single to multiplayer.

KORNdoggy

Can we NOT be online though? i get they're going for this "always connected, always online" approach (to get around the consoles lack of DRM i guess) but can i play watchdogs and NOT get invaded every 5 minutes? Is that confirmed to be a choice? Can we decline a player trying to access our game?

SJRB

Gold Member
Tailing sounds so awesome, it's going to work wonders on the paranoia effect.

Can we NOT be online though? i get they're going for this "always connected, always online" approach (to get around the consoles lack of DRM i guess) but can i play watchdogs and NOT get invaded every 5 minutes? Is that confirmed to be a choice? Can we decline a player trying to access our game?

You can turn it off if you're so inclined, the game is not forcing you to participate in any of the multiplayer aspects.

Jagsrock

Banned
funniest-dog-gifs-sneaky-pug-gif.gif

sneaky gaf rejoice.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Oh god damn this sounds too good. I have been waiting for an open-world game to come to PC since GTAV, and this sounds like its the bee knees. Thank god I bought a 770 4GB today :D

the ctOS challenge sounds like a huge pain in the ass that favors the guy with the tablet and a 2D map rather than the guy who has to manipulate an 8-button controller and 2 analog joysticks.

Dawg

Some more info about races: everyone has access to the hacks. This means you are racing against seven other people who can disable traffic lights, cause blackouts and make the ground explode from under you (I think because you are hacking some kind of pipes under the road (?))

So yeah, races can be very chaotic but I think that's actually pretty fun.

ctOS sounds pretty damned cool to me.

They are actually putting some thought into the multiplayer, how amazing is that!

GTA Online proved to me that you can not count on the players to be able to provide a good time. You have to put together a very controlled online environment for any fun to be had that will last longer then a week.

These modes sound pretty cool, besides free roam which will never be used.

bryanee

They've talked about allowing players to restrict who can invade, or completely turning it off. It also won't allow you to be invaded when completing main missions.

That's great. I don't mind people on my friends list invading but not everyone.

Honestly I wish they hadn't bothered with races and what looks essentially as TDM and made more stuff like the stalking, pretending to be an NPC and never alerting the other player is a great idea.

Dawg

Nirolak, the description of Decryption isn't correct. I played that specific mode the most and it's not about stealing files and taking them to a given location. You do have to obtain a special file, but you just need to decrypt it to 100%. The team that achieves that, wins. You decrypt the file by simply holding on to it. If team members are in range, it decrypts faster.

If the enemy is close to you, you will begin to lose the file to them. To avoid losing it completely, you either shoot them down or you gain enough distance by driving away with a car or trying to run away. Also, if you have decrypted the file up to 99% and the other team manages to steal the file, they only have to decrypt 1% more.

viveks86

For the tailing mission, is the stalkee rewarded for spotting the stalker? How do you spot them? I'm wondering if there is an incentive to always be on guard.

Kssio_Aug

I wonder if this Tailing mission have some penalty for shooting the other player before being spotted. If not, I can see many players invading other games just to get near them undetected and shoot them in the back.

Ryaaan14

Banned
The mechanics of this game seem perfect for a Trouble In Terrorist Town type of game mode. That makes me rock hard.

DedValve

Banned
So their taking the worst aspects of the asscreed series and their turning it into a multiplayer mode?

Wow thats....that actually sounds fun.

Mindlog

While the different modes sound good on paper, after watching the videos and reading the previews, it looks like the modes are 5% hacking, 70% combat (guns/grendades/etc)., 25% driving/chasing. There are hundreds of games that are about guns, grenades, and driving. I was hoping the game was more about hacking and required some "thinking skill" and not just push a button to hack and then fire your gun 50 times to get through the rest of the scenario.
This all goes back to that first demo. It had a fantastic Hitman social stealth with hacker tools vibe until that firefight broke out. The dissatisfaction with that preview paled in size compared to the later visual downgradetons. Ah well.

Still I appreciate these twists in MP at least. Would be nice to see a more complex version of tailing.

viveks86

I wonder if this Tailing mission have some penalty for shooting the other player before being spotted. If not, I can see many players invading other games just to get near them undetected and shoot them in the back.

Pretty sure that would be an insta-fail for the stalker and the person being tailed will never notice the gunshot. It would be far too frustrating otherwise

whats all the fuss about? i see nothing revolutionary.

In this thread too? Now I'm certain that you are a bot.

Tailing people in games without them noticing me gives me asmr

So their taking the worst aspects of the asscreed series and their turning it into a multiplayer mode?

Wow thats....that actually sounds fun.

My only exposure to the AC series beyond some of the first game was the multiplayer for the third. The gameplay no longer seemed too simple and shallow when I was up against other players.

Top Bottom