• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U can't play games without updating them??????

The Boat

That's very odd because I played loads of times without updating, it always asks whether you want to update or not. Not only that, neither of those games got an update recently and if there's no internet, there's no way Wii U can check if it needs updates.

Definitely doesn't sound like a normal situation. Deleting the update data (not the saves!) might be the best idea.

Z..

It can only say "preparing update" if it knows there's an update so the Wii U must have already accessed the Internet once. No?

Are there Internet connections set up in the Wii U Settings? Try deleting them all, we never know.

Nope. Hasn't been used since I left Portugal 2 weeks ago. First use since I've been in London.

jimi_dini

Nsmbu/nfsmw/nintendo land. Tried batman arkham city and zombiu too, just in case. Same problem.

I just tried something. I deleted the update data of NSMBU, then disconnected internet and Wii U is actually behaving like that. But it says that the access point can not be found. I don't want to remove my WLAN settings to try out more.

Is there an access point configured on that Wii U? And did your friend delete updates inbetween? Will just try if an updated NSMBU will behave the same.

EDIT: after updating the game, the game works perfectly without an internet connection. So I guess update data was deleted, but there are possibly saved games, which require those updates. That way it actually makes sense. I can't check if the games behave the same without saved game data, because I don't want to delete them, but I doubt it, because there is no way for the Wii U to know that there are updates available without any internet access.

Did you install an update and then delete it?? The console clearly warns you.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/66790715
Updates can only be skipped during their first application. I guess at that point it leaves a sort of flag on the system along with the message that informs you that you will have to update the game before you play it again. This counts for offline play too: if for whatever reason you delete a game's update you absolutely CANNOT play until you get back online and fully update it. Even the disc update will not apply.

Also: http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/101742

wsippel

Banned
That's weird. I have been able to skip updates so that I could play immediately.
Yeah, it's really strange. That's actually one of the things I love about Nintendo Network: You can cancel an update and play the games (offline) while the system downloads the update, and apply it later. Same thing with DLC. So much better than PSN in that regard. No idea why it apparently doesn't work here.

Z..

I just tried something. I deleted the update data of NSMBU, then disconnected internet and Wii U is actually behaving like that. But it says that the access point can not be found. I don't want to remove my WLAN settings to try out more.

Is there an access point configured on that Wii U? And did your friend delete updates inbetween? Will just try if an updated NSMBU will behave the same.

EDIT: after updating the game, the game works perfectly without an internet connection. So I guess update data was deleted, but there are possibly saved games, which require those updates. That way it actually makes sense. I can't check if the games behaved the same without saved game data, because I don't want to delete them, but I doubt it, because there is no way for the Wii U to know that there are updates available without any internet access.

There was an access point configured. Deleted it. Still happens.

Nobody deleted any update data, there wasn't anything to delete.

jimi_dini

There was an access point configured. Deleted it. Still happens.

Nobody deleted any update data, there wasn't anything to delete.

So wait, the Wii U was connected to the internet, but no updates were ever downloaded? NSMBU wasn't played before? Is there update data in data mangment?

It would make sense for Nintendo to force people to update in case the Wii U knows that there is an update. Why? Because of hackers. That way people can't downgrade a game and use a game bug to hack their Wii U.

Z..

Problem solved. One of the usb cables connecting to the external hard drive was unplugged. Jesus, what an ordeal.
=D

LoveCake

Have you tried deleting the wifi info on your WiiU ?

Is it just the one game or different ones, it maybe something game specific & as it has wifi info it is trying to connect to the internet.

I usually skip the update.

However did you have the WiiU set to auto download updates & then if you disconnected your WiiU for two weeks & are now trying to play a game that has a update already maybe the WiiU needs to connect to verify the update but cannot & this is causing some sort of conflict which is stopping you from playing.

Edit; the problem was solved while i was typing.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Problem solved. One of the usb cables connecting to the external hard drive was unplugged. Jesus, what an ordeal.
=D
An external hardrive? See, next time you care to ask about help on gaf, you might want to focus on giving out the details, and not necesserily your momentary emotional state.

Z..

You turd!

It was only slightly unplugged, it looked like it was all the way plugged...

*bows head in shame*

Sorry gaf.

So I guess the update data was on that external hard drive and the Wii U remembers it internally as well.

Yep.

You mean Wii U can't play a game without access to all of the relevant files?

Typical Nintendo bullshit!

C'mon, I just called it a turd because I was angry at it! I love my WiiU like a sister.

Instro

How typical of gaf. Let's all be narcissistic and assume the OP is a moron. He must be, clearly.

Well at least you ate your crow, usually when something like this comes up it ends with the OP trying to cover up their mistake.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The game won't load when I keep hammering the eject button, why doesn't this piece of shit prevent me from doing that
ShockingAlberto
Not a moron
(Today, 06:43 PM)
Multi-Quote This Message Quote

ElFly

Another odd point, his friend's house doesn't have internet? What decade is this?

How is the Op even posting??????!!!?!???

e: oh maybe he bought Neogaf Retail, Collector edition, which comes with 3 months of gaf gold.

I should look into it. I've always hated Gaf's always online DRM.

Yeah, first rule of troubleshooting. Reboot and re-seat all the cables. Even if it doesn't make sense, it fixes the problem 75% of the time.

btw if you have a hotspot like Starbucks, just configure it to connect to it and after it tells it fails to connect, save the settings and run the browser and try to connect. It'll bring you to the accept terms and conditions page and agree and there you go.

Z..

btw if you have a hotspot like Starbucks, just configure it to connect to it and after it tells it fails to connect, save the settings and run the browser and try to connect. It'll bring you to the accept terms and conditions page and agree and there you go.

I tried that afterwards because it's the same on Vita. It worked. ^^

Top Bottom