• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub director - 1080p/30FPS is absolutely the best for our game

DieH@rd

Banned
DRIVECLUB.gif

These sights.... they require horsepower. :)

Speaking with VG247 as part of our new Driveclub interview, Rustchynsky said, “[Striving for 60FPS] was something that we stated as an early target to ourselves.

“As we’ve got more familiar with the hardware, and also, looking at what we wanted from the game, we decided that 1080p, 30 frames per second is absolutely the best thing, because what that allows us to do is to deliver the most detailed cars in-race that you will ever have seen.

“It’s allowed us to create some of the biggest tracks you will ever see in a racing game, with the most visually-dense environments, as well as a full global illumination system which allows us to make time of day, where shadows are cast, full-on reflections. It’s allowed us to push all those various areas.”

Rustchynsky added that Sucker Punch’s PS4 debut inFamous: Second Son looked gorgeous thanks to various techniques and mechanics made possible by keeping the game running at 30FPS.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/30/dri...lutely-the-best-thing-for-game-says-director/

Silky

Banned
“As we’ve got more familiar with the hardware, and also, looking at what we wanted from the game, we decided that 1080p, 30 frames per second is absolutely the best thing, because what that allows us to do is to deliver the most detailed cars in-race that you will ever have seen.

sigh. Another arcade racer hitting 30fps is a shame.

StuBurns

Banned
We knew it was coming, but still, it moves it from a maybe to a no for me. Luckily there's the free version to mess around with.

Locked 30FPS? I'm completely fine with that. It's when it has dips, dodges, dive, ducks, and dips that irritate me.

Of course I'd prefer 60, but a locked 30FPS is completely acceptable considering the fidelity of the game.

Hype still at critical mass.
Game looks phenomenal. As long as 30fps is maintained, it's all good.

I'd say even you're inundated with disappoint, go with the PS+ version and give it a shot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
good call, stick to your guns.

It also makes me super curious how GT will look because presumably that will go for 60fps, plus the modelling and lighting gods at Polyphony will do their magic, but they will still have a lower power budget per frame to work from.

as for 'racing games should be 60fps', well obviously that would be nice, but PGR is proof that you don't need 60fps to make a compelling racing experience.

All the shit forza gets for its cardboard cutout crowds (which no one sees unless you use the fantastic inbuilt recording/screen tools), but at least they managed to deliver 60 fps racing.

Makes me wonder if the next forza will amp up the track details and tone down the fps.

I'd have preferred 60, but as a fan of Forza Horizons and the Ghost and Criterion NFS games, I'm okay with this so long as it's as closed to locked as can reasonably be expected.

I'm glad they have put it to rest. I'm very happy to see developers realizing that telling us resolution and framerate upfront is the way to go.

At the end of the day, this is still arcade game...

? Sorry, couldn't understand. I'm sad because I like 60fps on racers. That's the reason that I didn't buy NFS:Hot Pursuit on consoles, stopped playing NFS:pro Street after some 30fps lock patch (old facts, I know) and didn't even got close to NFS:Rivals. Even arcade racing games could benefit from 60fps.
Wipeout 2048 being 30fps makes me sad.

Bessy67

All the shit forza gets for its cardboard cutout crowds (which no one sees unless you use the fantastic inbuilt recording/screen tools), but at least they managed to deliver 60 fps racing.

Makes me wonder if the next forza will amp up the track details and tone down the fps.

Doubt it. Forza Horizon maybe, but main Forza games will most likely always strive for 60fps.

noobasuar

Banned
30 FPS isn't good for any racing game. A sense of speed combined with precise controls are like at the top of the list for any racing game.

Fezan

Forza is a sim. this is not. Check out how many people are dissapointed with new GT. But here it does not matter as much as its an arcade racer.

? Sorry, couldn't understand. I'm sad because I like 60fps on racers. That's the reason that I didn't buy Burnout Paradise on consoles, stopped playing NFS:pro Street after some 30fps lock patch (old facts, I know) and didn't even got close to NFS:Rivals. Even arcade racing games could benefit from 60fps.

Man, you're missing out on some quality titles.
Also, i thought Paradise was 60. Hmm.

Silky

Banned
? Sorry, couldn't understand. I'm sad because I like 60fps on racers. That's the reason that I didn't buy Burnout Paradise on consoles, stopped playing NFS:pro Street after some 30fps lock patch (old facts, I know) and didn't even got close to NFS:Rivals. Even arcade racing games could benefit from 60fps.

Burnout was 60 on consoles though

Top Bottom