• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY: Warning Loss 18% Larger Than Forecast on Charges

guit3457

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-01-ps4-is-doing-great-but-its-a-different-story-for-sony

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...-larger-than-forecast-on-pc-unit-charges.html

"Amid the doom and gloom, PlayStation is doing well. During the quarter ending 31st December 2013 the Game business made a profit of $172m off the back of an impressive 64.6 per cent rise in sales year on year."

The rest of the company.......

"The company’s full-year operating income was 26 billion yen, about a third of the 80 billion yen projected in February.

Sony will book about 30 billion yen of extra expenses for the PC unit with sales below budget. The company expects to write down excess components and compensate suppliers for unused materials in its PCs.

The company will also take about 25 billion yen of impairment charges for its overseas disc manufacturing operators as demand slumps."

kmax

larry-undecided-o.gif

AniHawk

Making profit at the very start of the gen is a good sign, no?

yes. i think they even said they expected to make a small profit off the ps4 so it's gotta be doing better than expected. especially since ps3 sales fell off a cliff and the vita is the vita.

madmackem

Damn making profits like that from the off is great news, i think we will see a healthier sony in the following years, the steps theyve taken of late should start to show in the future youd hope so anyway.

Jesus. The parent company is really worse off than I thought. The PlayStation division is in good shape though. But still.

Damn.

Sony should just be Playstation, Sony Pictures/Television and Sony Mobile. Their other divisions are basically irrelevant.

Are Sony making profit from their phone division? Their recent Xperia phones have been excellent

Reposting from the Media Create thread

Sony's new business segment is real estate.

They will start by selling the garage where all the people involved with Vita work.

No this is not a joke. Sony will enter the real estate market for real. Nikkei reporting that they are also considering entering the toy market.

Sony should just be Playstation, Sony Pictures/Television and Sony Mobile. Their other divisions are basically irrelevant.

Are Sony making profit from their phone division? Their recent Xperia phones have been excellent

Yeah, Xperia is profitable. It's the Vaio business that's doing badly.

Do you understand Sony's other divisions?

Their Financial services division is an extremely stable pillar of Sony at the moment.

Bold One

Keep mobile phone
Playstation
Insurance
Medical research
Tablets
Film/Tv studios
Sony Music

man Sony is bloated

BURN EVERYTHING ELSE

No this is not a joke. Sony will enter the real estate market for real. Nikkei reporting that they are also considering entering the toy market.
Sony Toys? Imagine the potential, considering all the characters they have the rights to, from gaming, movies and tv.

Breaking Bad meth lab toyset when?

You forgot their most important division: Sony Financial Services.

Thought I saw its third in the mobile industry (behind apple and samsung obviously), but not sure if they actually make a profit or not.

Sandfox

Sony Toys? Imagine the potential, considering all the characters they have the rights to, from gaming, movies and tv.

Breaking Bad meth lab toyset when?

I really don't know what kind of toys they would have to sell unless it was something fcompletely original. I don't really see them making any movies that would sell toys in addition to the fact that toys based on movies and shows have a pretty high chance of just sitting on shelves for years.

No one knows why Sony persists in making TVs. They have been recovering in every other consumer electronics market besides TV and the PC division they are getting rid of.

Sony need to try going to the toy market. I cant believe there's no series of toys from little big planet. It could have been Sony's skylander

oh right. I can see why those two were flops (even though i thought AE was ok).

Spiderman coming out this week though, should be amazing :p Already got my ticket!
Spiderman has been out for a few weeks here in Australia, I loved it. That should make them some money

Killer

Banned
No one knows why Sony persists in making TVs. They have been recovering in every other consumer electronics market besides TV and the PC division they are getting rid of.

I heard their latest TVs are excellent. but maybe they are too late for fixing that division.

More people would probably buy them if they weren't so damn expensive. Samsung are popular because they're affordable.
It's already a loss making unit; has been for a decade. Selling more at a lower price without a lower cost structure isn't any solution. They simply can't compete in the commoditized TV market.

StoopKid

I really don't know what kind of toys they would have to sell unless it was something fcompletely original. I don't really see them making any movies that would sell toys in addition to the fact that toys based on movies and shows have a pretty high chance of just sitting on shelves for years.

Don't they make some animated movies ? I'm sure they could sell a cpl toys from those movies.

Their TVs are high quality though, always have been. Still have a CRT that's almost 20 years old from Sony, still works well lol. I think its a division they can still recover.

Playstation would be better off unattached to the Sony name, crap like this just brings the name down.

no, Sony brand is pretty huge still.

Top Bottom