• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Noobcraft

Borderline photorealism at times
Screenshot-Original.png

I'm actually downloading my 10 hour EA Access trial just to drive around and take pictures lol.

I haven't played it yet, but as long as the HUD can be turned off I'm happy. The camera controls seem flexible.

Unfortunately its not that great, but when you do take a screen capture in game it automatically removes the HUD. I so wish this had a real photo mode. It could be amazing! Maybe they'll add one.

I think the car models and the lighting in NFS are fantastic. Environments look pretty crappy, though, imo.

How are the weather effects? Do the neon lights illuminate the rain like in Batman AK?

Noobcraft

Yup, agreed. Half res is still a good compromise, although I would prefer full res. I don't suppose the smoke is volumetric, right?
I think it's sprite based but it looks pretty good. I haven't seen a truly realistic volumetric smoke implementation in games yet (it usually looks super thick)

Javin98

Banned
I think it's sprite based but it looks pretty good. I haven't seen a truly realistic volumetric smoke implementation in games yet (it usually looks super thick)
Yep, it looks pretty good despite being sprite based. Volumetric smoke is still just too expensive in games, I guess.

Yep, it looks pretty good despite being sprite based. Volumetric smoke is still just too expensive in games, I guess.

I could be wrong but it seems that MGSV actually has volumetric particles. I've had quite a few times where a vehicle has kicked up dust that actually has shadows cast across it as opposed to just ignoring it, which I think is only possible with volumetric.

Javin98

Banned
I could be wrong but it seems that MGSV actually has volumetric particles. I've had quite a few times where a vehicle has kicked up dust that actually has shadows cast across it as opposed to just ignoring it, which I think is only possible with volumetric.
Oh, right, how did I forget MGSV? IIRC, it does indeed have volumetric particles. This is most clearly seen when you shoot at the ground and a large cloud of debris kicks up too. It is also very demanding, as can be seen here:
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-graphics-and-performance-guide

Well, at the very least, it has volumetric clouds.

benzy

I thought MGSV had it too but I was wrong. Dictator showed the explosions smoke was just using an offline renderer to blend the typical 2D sprite effects, and dusts were also just sprite transparencies that catch light and shadows.

It's basically GT5/6 particle effects, which aren't volumetric.

glybqrgkon.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Saw this in console's screenshot thread

photomod
Driveclub_fotomod.png

real gameplay

Driveclub_realny_geympley_2.png

Difference is pretty huge

Pics are not loading, and if it is what I think it is, the game barely looks like that. Mine does not look like that when I am playing. Maybe one event out of hundreds. It is definitely not the "norm" in that game. There are hundreds of gameplay vids to disprove that cherry-pick.

They added one Lambo event that was not as polished as the hundreds of other events, and all of a sudden, over a year later, this is trying to be used as the baseline of the game? And thousands of other videos and screens are now BS? Come on man.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You can say this for the nice shots as well though, its easier to pick out rough shots for a non photo expert like myself, imo

There are thousands upon thousands of shots and videos online of gameplay. That has been up for over a year. Various modes, times of day, weather, people capturing, messing around, etc. They have all been gorgeous and realistic 99% of the time. All of a sudden a less polished compared to the 99% of the game Lambo event (which these are mainly coming from) comes out, out of hundreds of events in the game, and people want to pass this off as the game's baseline?

Anyone who has seriously played this game, knows it is complete bullshit to spin that narrative. Fan or not of the game.

carl32

Banned
There are thousands upon thousands of shots and videos online of gameplay. That has been up for over a year. Various modes, times of day, weather, people capturing, messing around, etc. They have all been gorgeous and realistic 9 times out of 10. All of a sudden a less polished compared to the 99% of the game Lambo event (which these are mainly coming from) comes out, out of hundreds of events in the game, and people want to pass this off as the game's baseline?

Anyone who has seriously played this game, knows it is complete bullshit to spin that narrative. Fan or not of the game.
Yeah i know what you are saying but they are all cherry picked and more often than not im like wow that looks great it doesn't look like that for me 95% of the time i play it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah i know what you are saying but they are all cherry picked and more often than not im like wow that looks great it doesn't look like that for me 95% of the time i play it.

I do not know what game you are playing then, because all the videos and pics I see, and have been seeing LONG before they put in photo mode, looked just as, and still looks just as impressive. My jaw still drops to this game every boot up.

carl32

Banned
I do not know what game you are playing then, because all the videos and pics I see, and have been seeing LONG before they put in photo mode, looked just as, and still looks just as impressive. My jaw still drops to this game every boot up.

I dont know what game you are playing, i rarely went wow until the rain was added. Just my opinion and im no graphic whore.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dont know what game you are playing, i rarely went wow until the rain was added. Just my opinion and im no graphic whore.

There was never a racing game where the lighting was so smooth, and actually blinded you and effected the way you play until I played this game. I literally put my hand up to block that sun glare, and squint to get a better focus, like I would in real life (especially in the dash cam/cockpit when it hit the dirty parts of the windshield). That shit impressed me. Did you only play in high noon like the cherry picker grabs?

Because even before weather, how it can start off one way, and then dynamically change conditions with a sunset or even overcast, was pretty impressive.

carl32

Banned
There was never a racing game where the lighting was so smooth, and actually blinded you and effected the way you play until I played this game. I literally put my hand up to block that sun glare, and squint to get a better focus, like I would in real life (especially in the dash cam/cockpit when it hit the dirty parts of the windshield). That shit impressed me. Did you only play in high noon like the cherry picker grabs?

Because even before weather, how it can start off one way, and then dynamically change conditions with a sunset or even overcast, was pretty impressive.

I don't no i just mainly played career and a few challenges and a bit of online so it s preset i presume.

thelastword

Banned
Need for Speed looks like a first gen PS3 game, but all shiny and chrome. People really look different at graphics.
I would not say it's a PS3 game, but your "shiny and chrome" statement is quite apt. There are lots of elements to it that are not impressive, like the static head/backlights on cars, they don't look like dynamic sources, the lack of a bustling and alive city, it's lacking too many details and the only reason there is so much PP, static lights and film grain is to mask some of the low detail in the environment. It's akin to disco/clublights, serves as a mask where everybody looks beautiful under the kaleidoscope.

Cherry picking, agenda's and bullshit aside, Driveclub is technically the best looking racer. Period.
No doubt, I have not seen a racer come close this gen. I'm looking forward to what Asseto Corsa brings to the table though.

I'm looking forward to what Asseto Corsa brings to the table though.

Assetto Corsa was released about a year a so)

And Project Cars looks much better than this) Assetto Corsa is all about the realistic physics, not graphics)

Though Assetto Corsa also could have quite a pretty graphics if you have powerful PC)

velociraptor

I thought MGSV had it too but I was wrong. Dictator showed the explosions smoke was just using an offline renderer to blend the typical 2D sprite effects, and dusts were also just sprite transparencies that catch light and shadows.

It's basically GT5/6 particle effects, which aren't volumetric.

glybqrgkon.gif

The fact this replay looks better than some current gen games amazes me.

NFS looks awesome btw - I love the post-processing and colouring.

T.O.P

Banned
Need for Speed looks like a first gen PS3 game, but all shiny and chrome. People really look different at graphics.
Nah if the 14yo me would've imagined how a racing game would look in 10 years, NFS is what comes closer atm, shiny or whateaver it's the result that matters

score01

I tried the event. Thought it looked ok? Obviously not as good as the photo mode. Those earlier picks were ewwwww though. No shadows or anything. Dont know what happened there.

3dTWnb1.png

tmEwYlk.png

Halo, battlefield 2, etc... had photo mode equivs with online play. Heck, the whole idea of a time demo / replay is essentailly photomode.

Are those photomode done during live gameplay? Because the issue with NFS is that it's always in live gameplay, so how do you do a photomode when you technically can't "pause" or "stop" the game due to it being always online?

nOoblet16

Nope, it's possible to do that with 2D particles.
Halo 2 Anniversary did it.

Are those photomode done during live gameplay? Because the issue with NFS is that it's always in live gameplay, so how do you do a photomode when you technically can't "pause" or "stop" the game due to it being always online?

No not during live gameplay, there you are right.

No chance the game could offer replays?

Top Bottom