• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall CTF playlist returning to PC, was <1%, will now matchmake across continents

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, this seems like a notably better solution than tearing it out of the lists even if most people weren't using it.

Respawn said:
What Happened to CTF?

Last week we made some changes to the Titanfall playlists on PC and since then many members of the community have expressed their disappointment with our decision. Capture the Flag has been a specific point of contention considering we had just made a significant change to how the mode worked (Titans cannot carry flags after the last patch). If you’re just catching up, we made the decision to remove these modes because hardly anyone was playing them and matches were nearly impossible to find.

The reality is that less than 1% of the player base was even trying to play CTF, let alone actually able to get in to a game. With that few players attempting to connect, our matchmaking would just sit there, spinning forever, waiting to find a game to play. This is a bad experience for the user, and so we had to look at how we fix it. Our first step was removing playlists that were effectively broken. The second step is to continue refinement of our matchmaking. After that first step, though, it’s obvious that lots of people were upset – far more than the player counts on the removed modes led us to believe. So, what happened? Let’s talk about it.
Respawn said:
So, what are we doing about it? Well, first, we’re bringing the CTF playlist back on PC. Furthermore, we’re introducing a test of even wider region searches. If you’re searching for 5 minutes without starting a game, Stryder will eventually widen your search to include neighboring continents. This means you might end up in a game with a much higher ping than you’re used to, but as players pointed out; playing is preferred to not playing at all! The 5 minutes is a rough estimation as Stryder may very well use a much shorter time if it can determine from its real-time view of the globe that waiting 1 or 5 minutes will have no tangible difference. Like with many attributes of matchmaking, we’re tweaking and tracking or slicing data differently almost daily. Our engineers spend A LOT of time staring at graphs and analytics.
Source: http://www.titanfall.com/news/ctf-matchmaking-update-pc-and-xbox-one

Seems kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Is playing preferable to not if it gets super laggy? Or is that not a concern with the Azure servers? I would think lag on a FPS like Titanfall would aggravate players just as much.

akaoni

Banned
To be fair people will gravitate towards the most popular game modes even if they don't necessarily like that because a lobby system continues to reinforce what you play via convenience. I know because I do it all the time with choosing CSGO maps for competitive matchmaking. Basically a server browser goes a long way to alleviating this kind of thing to begin with.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Someone should invent a way for players to be able to, like, run their own servers so that developers don't need to worry about devoting resources to unpopular modes but players can still play whatever they enjoy. It's weird that online gaming has existed for so long and no one has ever managed to make this possible.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Someone should invent a way for players to be able to, like, run their own servers so that developers don't need to worry about devoting resources to unpopular modes but players can still play whatever they enjoy. It's weird that online gaming has existed for so long and no one has ever managed to make this possible.

iRBVKXiCOCAon.gif

Doesn't Titanfall have private matches for exactly this purpose?

Why should the player have to sort through hundreds, if not thousands, of matches to find an empty slot on a server with a good connection and people who are equally matched? Matchmaking streamlines all this, in a way that hopefully creates more compelling match-ups and gameplay for everybody. Yes, we may get lots of hate mail about this, but we believe good matchmaking is better than a server browser and we’ll detail out why in this article.

&#9746; Game is empty
&#9746; Game is full
Ping: &#8804; 150

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Doesn't Titanfall have private matches for exactly this purpose?

No, like, in my mind I'm invisioning something where like you can host a server on your computer and, like, you'd be listed in some sort of list of servers... or like people could type in your IP address or a domain or something to connect to you and you'd like put up a website on Geocities or something with your server info. This is pretty complex stuff, I'm not one of those computer geniuses. Any PhDs out there working on this problem?

Nokterian

How is that going to help?

So you can join an empty server and never have anyone join?

No you can filter it. You can filter from CTF to team deathmatch and just hop in just a thing they also do in BF4 for example..find the server that suits you and people will come back.

Interfectum

No, like, in my mind I'm invisioning something where like you can host a server on your computer and, like, you'd be listed in some sort of list of servers... or like people could type in your IP address or a domain or something to connect to you and you'd like put up a website on Geocities or something with your server info. This is pretty complex stuff, I'm not one of those computer geniuses. Any PhDs out there working on this problem?

Sounds like witchcraft.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Like a uh... Hosting Registry?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_server#Dedicated_server

Scum

What happened to dedicated servers and hosting your own shit? Is everything p2p nowadays?

Stump, pls. Back to Unreal Tournament and ngStats, you go.

KoopaTheCasual

Don't be silly, that's physically impossible.

NIN90

Let's get Durante on the case.

Server Browser.

Filters: "gamemode: CTF". "Players >0."

Results: 0 servers.

Now what?

The mode did not have 0 players. There are enough people looking for CTF games, but they don't want to wait at a "looking for game" screen for too long so they leave before the matchmaking system finds the other players. Or the matchmaking system thinks the players should not be together for whatever reason. You are at the mercy of an automated system.

When one player has joined a CTF server, anyone can do the search you mentioned and they will be joining that server with players on it.

EvB

No you can filter it. You can filter from CTF to team deathmatch and just hop in just a thing they also do in BF4 for example..find the server that suits you and people will come back.

I don't understand.

If you join a server that is empty and nobody else wants to play that mode, why will people join?

I don't understand.

If you join a server that is empty and nobody else wants to play that mode, why will people join?

people want to play, just not enough that will wait forever to get a game. If there was a dedicated server of just ctf, people could join the game instantly.

This is not some crazy fantasy, this is how gaming worked until matchmaking became popular. I still play DoD and there are custom servers that only play one map that are full. That game is over 10 years old.

Varg

Banned
Would have been nice if infinity ward took a page from this. No reason to take out 3rd person mode in mw2 from future installments. Should have left it there for the few thousand that enjoyed. Haven't found a replacement since.

aeolist

Banned
server browsers are an inherently better solution for niche games and modes

respawn may not want to admit it but titanfall on PC is most certainly niche at this point

scitek

This whole ordeal's gotten me interested in playing CTF even though I don't typically play it much in other games.

I don't understand.

People don't like waiting while staring at blank screen, dedicated servers removes this, thus more people will join/play.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Seems kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Is playing preferable to not if it gets super laggy? Or is that not a concern with the Azure servers? I would think lag on a FPS like Titanfall would aggravate players just as much.

It's actually kind of shit, the lag compensation mechanic for Titanfall manifests itself as dizzying levels of stuttering. Not FPS drops just like, animations will play then play back then play forwards all within 2 seconds giving you this awkward sense of machinery failing.

Playing titanfall with a ping of over 150 (which for an FPS is very very high) is where you'll start running into these issues more and more. The game just doesn't respond properly at ping levels over 200.

Palmer_v1

Let's assume stump's idea is impossible, since science clearly hasn't come that far yet.

How about being able to queue for X game mode, and in the meantime, get dropped into a never-ending TDM, so you're at least entertained while you wait? Once your game comes up, you accept your invite, and are good to go.

aeolist

Banned
Many players told us “Put a server browser in! That’ll fix it!” but that doesn't help when there is no one else trying to play the mode you’re looking for, which was the case.

but you just said that 1% of players were trying to get into CTF modes, which is by definition more than "no one"

1% of a few thousand people is a lot of active 6v6 games

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
For large games, you can get people to join anything if 1 or 2 players are on. I made my CS:GO server 24/7 McDonald's TDM for a few days and it would fill up like nobody's business. Not the most popular mode, on a random dumb map.

For small games, anywhere with players will get someone to join. If there are six servers, and you want to play CTF, chances are someone who just wants to play the game some way, some how will join.

Only totally dead games have completely unsupported modes and servers.
What sometimes happens is that 3 or 4 people join a server, wait for it to fill, and then quit the game. When that happens across 3 or 4 servers that constitutes a missed opportunity for a full game.

I think they need to designate a time for CTF people to get together. Maybe just splash "Saturday 7PM CTF event" on the title screen. There may only be 1000 people total that play CTF, but if they all get on at once then that's plenty for full games.

Armaros

but you just said that 1% of players were trying to get into CTF modes, which is by definition more than "no one"

1% of a few thousand people is a lot of active 6v6 games

Yeah thats what i dont get, they are acting like they need MMO-style or Battlefield sized populations in order to keep a mode running.

Its 6 v 6....how hard can it fucking be, unless the Respawn devs are basically saying that PC version is dead, because much older and now smaller games are still alive to this day with server browsers.

Nokterian

No wonder games like UT99 are still alive and well today. Because server browser some admins can be horrible but to me i like it to choose what server i want with the lowest ping.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I like that they tried to explain why they prefer tweaking the matchmaking over also providing a server browser option, but I think they should just embrace it.

I appreciate that they want to find the best experience for you by using what I suspect is the next iteration of TrueSkill, but I don't see why they can't make the private match ability to have a toggle to be open to the public and give the person who created the instance moderation controls.

Top Bottom