• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall CTF playlist returning to PC, was <1%, will now matchmake across continents

Leb

Given the relatively large number of people who are already bored with the game, I wish they'd go ahead and shake up the formula a bit. 6v6 really does make for tiny games filled with lots of shitty AI... and when even one person leaves (and even with the matches as short as they are, people seem to bail all the time), the game becomes noticeably barren.

Now, there's not much point in implementing a server browser without dedicated servers, which we'll probably never get, but they COULD do something like give us the option of 12v12 game modes, at which point the variability of player population over time is felt to a lesser degree. In any event, I feel like the vanilla maps need at least that many players in terms of pilot density and if you turn down the AI grunts to offset the increased player count and then implement a rotating queue of 6 active Titans per team, well, you wouldn't even need to refactor the maps or anything.

Now, sure, this isn't strictly in line with their, "EVERY PLAYER IS SPECIAL AND CAN ACHIEVE INSTANT GRATIFICATION BY SLAUGHTERING AI GRUNTS THAT ARE LESS THREATENING THAN A BEACHED MANATEE" but there are usually only a handful of armored vehicles per side in Battlefield, with far more players per side, and yet most players still manage to feel pretty special while playing BF.

kuYuri

Bringing back CTF playlist for PC isn't going to magically skyrocket the player count on that platform. This game lost mindshare weeks ago and continues to slowly die.

Kade

It would be nice if they'd let us run a persistent server -- even for a cost -- on Microsoft's servers; the way player run servers usually work. Maybe not running forever but have it so there's someone to initiate it, set all the parameters, and as long as there are players on it it stays running. Once the player count hits 0, shut the server down. Have this on top of the current system for """""power users""""". Have these sessions be searchable or listed in a browser. Or just do whatever Valve does.

OR

Keep the current system but add a session search with the same filters and features present in a fully featured server browser.

Mechazawa

He's referring to cs go.

CSGO? Are you guys talking about have matchmaking playlists separate from custom servers? I thought you guys meant server browsers that also paired players with similarly skilled players.

Because the former sounds like just another way to fracture the userbase without the staying power of the Counterstrike community.

Cidd

Maybe they should also spend time fixing their damn invite system, bought the game to play with friends and I keep getting a error message when I try to join them wtf.

Armaros

Valve even uses "community quick play" which is the best of both worlds. The laziness of not choosing a server combined with the ability to join a game in progress instantly on a community-run server with whatever crazy shit they're experimenting with.

Options? On the PC?

How do they work!?

Server browsers are great specifically for the more niche sub communities like what is happening here. Even if only a few CTF servers get put up, the people into CTF could add them to favorites and regularly scan for players, join up and build up into a full game. What happens instead with matchmaking and a low pop mode is that people just go into matchmaking at different times, and since the game won't start without a full lobby it just never starts because people leave after a certain amount of time of searching. A server browser means you could join someone in a 1/12 server, then more people see that and join and and you can play while it's slowly building up to a full game. You could also organize community nights around it etc once people become regulars and familiar.

Someone should invent a way for players to be able to, like, run their own servers so that developers don't need to worry about devoting resources to unpopular modes but players can still play whatever they enjoy. It's weird that online gaming has existed for so long and no one has ever managed to make this possible.

Tim-and-Eric-Space-Explosions.gif

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
but you just said that 1% of players were trying to get into CTF modes, which is by definition more than "no one"

1% of a few thousand people is a lot of active 6v6 games
Let's say a few means three. 1% of three thousand is 30 people which is... only enough for two full 6v6 matches.

crinale

No, like, in my mind I'm invisioning something where like you can host a server on your computer and, like, you'd be listed in some sort of list of servers... or like people could type in your IP address or a domain or something to connect to you and you'd like put up a website on Geocities or something with your server info. This is pretty complex stuff, I'm not one of those computer geniuses. Any PhDs out there working on this problem?

That would ruin the publisher's (hidden) plan of setting the lifespan of games, so they'll never allow consumers to do it.

NIN90

I find it hilarious that something like Killing Floor probably stomps Titanfall in terms of online population.

Let's say a few means three. 1% of three thousand is 30 people which is... only enough for two full 6v6 matches.

That may be true but the few CTF servers will be constantly packed and the downtime for someone looking for a CTF match is minimal. It's not rocket science, it's worked like this on PC for close to 2 decades.

Is it just me or do the last couple of TF press releases - specially these two about CTF and game modes - have a really combative, even dismissive tone? Like, "you say you want it, but you don't really fucking play it."

but you just said that 1% of players were trying to get into CTF modes, which is by definition more than "no one"

1% of a few thousand people is a lot of active 6v6 games

Its pretty hilarious, in my opinion. Server browsers are reasons games like Counter Strike still surrive. Let your audience decide what they want to play.

They think they know their audience but they have an identity crisis. That or time/money is not worth it to them. Giving excuses is lame.

Server browser will fix this issue. Any other fix is a lazy one.

It's sad that a majority of people playing this game don't realize ctf is the one mode that highlights all that is awesome and different about titanfall

In my opinion it's the best mode and the one I play the most by far

HelloMeow

Server Browser.

Filters: "gamemode: CTF". "Players >0."

Results: 0 servers.

Now what?

Now you know there is actually no one playing and you don't have to waste your time.

Currently you don't know anything about how many players or servers there are. You might end up waiting 10+ minutes to get in a game (or not).

Top Bottom