• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brimstone Interactive sold Eden Falls name to Microsoft, Lift London project?

An update on the story, they're not involved in the project and its officially been sold to Microsoft inline with the trademark and domain names. Title didn't give me enough space to write everything I wanted to. Not Lionhead? :'(

Sorry guys. We've had an incredibly busy week. We are currently 4 people doing 20 people's work.

I was planning to get our blog up and running during the week so I could write about the MS situation there, but since I didn't, I'll give you a quick lowdown here.

TL;DR: Brimstone sold the rights to the "Eden Falls" name to Microsoft and is not currently involved with any MS or Lift London projects. We ARE still working on a really cool tactical sci-fi RPG, though.

And then some history: This whole situation has its roots all the back in 2008, when I decided to recruit a team of hobbyists to work on an Unreal Tournament 3 mod. After a lot of head scratching and nail biting, I ended up calling the project "Eden Falls". I thought it had a nice ring to it, and it fit well into what I had in mind for the game. Sadly, after several months of working on EF in my spare time, it became evident that the project was going nowhere. The game was promptly driven to the ground, along with the site and domain I had registered for it (edenfalls.org). Fast forward to 2013. Four years and two children later, I decided the time to fulfill my life-long dream of running my very own game studio had come. I teamed up with my buddy Rafu and Brimstone was born. We already knew that we wanted to make a kickass sci-fi RPG that you could play anywhere - be it on a plane or on a toilet. We put our heads down and got to work. The pre-production was going very well and we knew we'd soon need a proper name for our game. It was universally agreed that the working title "CyberNoir" was just not going to cut it. I quickly suggested we use my old project's name, since I already had a typographical logo ready for it and all. The name "Eden Falls" was promptly adopted and a domain for our newly christened game registered (edenfallsgame.com).

A couple of months later (December 2013) I was approached via email by a lawyer from Microsoft, saying he wanted to talk to me about my game. I was mortified, but curious. Was I getting sued by a giant corporation? After a few emails back and forth, it turned out that Lift London (an MS studio) was also working on a project called "Eden Falls" and that they would be interested in acquiring the rights to the name for a reasonable sum of money. A couple of weeks of hard negotiation later, Brimstone transferred the rights to Microsoft.

And about the rumors circulating out there: All we know is that Lift London is working on something called "Eden Falls". What kind of a game is it? We don't know. Is it somehow connected to Lionhead's canceled project? No idea. Personally, I kind of hope it is. I guess we'll learn, come June 10th and E3. I'll be watching the live streams with you.

Phew. That ended up not being so brief after all. Oh well. If I left something unmentioned or vague, feel free to ask me here on the comments or via email (samuli@brimstoneinteractive.com). Cheers!

Via Brimstone Interactive's Facebook

Lift London it is then

thedreamisdead.gif

Apparently it's not related to the Lionhead project at all according to Simon Carter.

https://twitter.com/bbbscarter/status/470287719550418944

oVSzbc8.jpg

Silky

Banned
Do you mean you always believed it wasn't Lionhead's game? :p

Either way, Lift is making d/l stuff at the most right? They're only small.

I think it'll be Lionhead/Lift London collab. Lift London does the mobile/smartglass companion game, Lionhead makes the Xbox One title.

There's a lot of ifs/possibilites from that time span of Jan '14 to now. A lot happened in 4 months, who knows what MS is doing.

harSon

Banned
The game must be pretty far along if Microsoft chose to buy the rights to the name, instead of just changing the name of their own.

I think it'll be Lionhead/Lift London collab. Lift London does the mobile/smartglass companion game, Lionhead makes the Xbox One title.

There's a lot of ifs/possibilites from that time span of Jan '14 to now. A lot happened in 4 months, who knows what MS is doing.

I guess that's possible, I just feel Lionhead has been at work on a lot with Fable Anniversary and the new Fable thing, I doubt they'd be in a position to announce a big (or non-downloadable) title for 2015.

Dusky

Maybe LL are just making the companion app :/?

Edit: Hmmm, I see I'm not the only one with that thought. Hopefully that's the case.

I guess that's possible, I just feel Lionhead has been at work on a lot with Fable Anniversary and the new Fable thing, I doubt they'd be in a position to announce a big (or non-downloadable) title for 2015.

They could very well tease something, but no way does the game come until late 2016 at the earliest. Lionhead are only in the 100+ or so employees (I think). It could be a small downloadable title, but then it seems pointless that LL would be involved.

injurai

Banned
So MS really didn't have a turn of heart when they let Insomniac own their new IP. That was just to get in bed with them. Clearly they still care about money hatting up IPs.

edit: Oh... lol.

So MS really didn't have a turn of heart when they let Insomniac own their new IP. That was just to get in bed with them. Clearly they still care about money hatting up IPs.

...eh?

Microsoft are not working with Brimstone on the project. There were two projects separately in development with the same name, Microsoft asked Brimstone if they would be prepared to sell the name/website etc to MS and they agreed - Microsoft did not get their game or the IP itself, just the name.

All of this information is in the OP, and is nothing like what you said, two very different situations.

And Lionhead are still working on other projects that we know of, regardless of whether they're called Eden Falls or anything else.

Oh and MS have been letting developers keep their IPs for years too.

It's best to not say things if you don't understand what you're talking about.

JaggedSac

What happened in January?

hawk2025

Slightly unrelated, but did something change at Lionhead that allows them to have multiple projects going at once?

Did they go on a hiring spree over the past year or something?

Slightly unrelated, but did something change at Lionhead that allows them to have multiple projects going at once?

Depending on how they're structured, it's not necessary for a large headcount to exist for there to be multiple projects.

TLoU started development back when ND was only around 150 people. ( they're now 250+)

harSon

Banned

Don't they have a second development team? Or did they just spread themselves thin to develop Fable: The Journey, Fable Heroes and Fable Anniversary in between Fable 3 and the new Fable for XB1?

Buying a name only for a mobile game...?

Why not? We don't know how much money MS handed over for the trademark - maybe it was £20k or maybe it was £500k. Without more information it seems foolish to presume anything either way; particularly when LL were formed to primarily develop mobile games.

Lionhead are also home to Microsofts european publishing team, so its difficult to gauge how big they are as a developer. On Linkedin they have 411 people listed but that will include an incredible amount of bloat for publishing, non-game developers etc. I believe Lionhead are a big studio and probably bigger than people think, but at the moment its not clear how big (attempts to find out have been unsuccessful too!)

If they're developing a second project, which I linked to above and is seemingly it the case, it will be a while away, Fable Legends is probably 2015 anyway

Boo! I thought this was the next Lionhead joint as well.

Well, we don't know that its not although it is incredibly unlikely.. But also Phil Spencer said of Lift London: "First thing touch. Next concept reviewed last week isn't locked to single device, very interesting if we can land idea" so maybe this game is a multi platform title even if its a smaller game.

So, perhaps there is hope its bigger than a mobile game?

I guess I'm the only one really interested in finding out what Lift London is all about.

Lionhead has always been a multiple project studio, I believe Fable The Journey was the only game that the whole studio has worked on.

The e3 suprise will be that Lift London has been converted to a AAA studio

Well, they did say that they wanted to redefine AAA.

Whats the chance its still the same concept behind Lionhead's version of Eden Falls just shifted off to Lift London?

Slim. And there were multiple projects at Lionhead carrying that code name.

Which is in itself puzzling. Kinect games must take a stupid amount of staff. Kinect Sports Rivals also had a ridiculous staff list.

I don't think it's that puzzling, handling Kinect's multiple analog input streams, movement and voice recognition and so on are quite challenging tasks, and require a lot of rethinking on developers' part.

From what I can tell he's not at Lift London.

His Twitter profile says he's the "Creative Director of Fluttermind Ltd." but looking at the website for Fluttermind it seems like it's a solo venture.

Ive actually been (loosely) following Fluttermind because back in the day Phil Spencer was only following people that were directly making games with Microsoft Studios (since then he has gone on a huge following spree and ballsed it up)

Anyway, I wondered if they might be doing something with MS (mobile/smaller game or something) but recently he posted an update on their website in April that the site wouldn't be updated for a while due to personal issues - some sort of crisis which sounds very sad.

But it doesn't seem like he will be involved in anything like that for now anyway

Anyway, I wondered if they might be doing something with MS (mobile/smaller game or something) but recently he posted an update on their website in April that the site wouldn't be updated for a while due to personal issues - some sort of crisis which sounds very sad.

That's certainly sad to hear. Hopefully everything works out for him, I've always found both of them very likeable.

Top Bottom