• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will pay for Indie Developers’ booths at Tokyo Game Show regardless of platform

Bundy

Banned
SCE is covering exhibition costs for the Indie Game Area at TGS 2014

Sony Computer Entertainment is footing the bill for any exhibition costs at the Tokyo Game Show's Indie Game Area this year, regardless of whichever platform each exhibitor is targeting.

The company does not have a say in which games are selected, nor will it only cover PlayStation-bound games. "We don’t care if the game is on a PlayStation platform or not," noted SCE's Brad Douglas. "The more indie games, the better! Just bring cool stuff!"

Full article

Good Guy Sony Will Pay For Indie Developers’ Booths at Tokyo Game Show Regardless of Platform

Today the CESA announced with a press release that Sony Computer Entertainment will be the special sponsor of the “Sense of Wonder Night 2014″ workshop at Tokyo Game Show, dedicated to the development of new ideas in the gaming industry.

In addition to that, good guy Sony will favor indie developers in a very practical way: The house of PlayStation will sponsor those that will exhibit their games at the indie corner of the show this year.

The press release also specifies that the sponsorship is unrelated to the platforms for the games on show, and Sony will pay whether they are on PlayStation platforms or not.
The move is not that surprising considering that Sony has been supporting indie developers very actively since the unveiling of the PlayStation 4, but it’s quite interesting, because we might very well get to see Xbox titles on show at Tokyo Game Show sponsored by the house of PlayStation.

Full article

viKu3vA.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wow, good job Sony! If only it covered travel and accommodation, though, otherwise I'd be all over it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The Japanese indie scene desperately needs some kind of boost, so I'm all for this.

Also, I really hope that the Japanese indie scene can get together and organize in some way. There's so much good stuff out there, but so much of it is hard to find and often goes ignored by most of the world due to how insular the doujin game scene is in Japan. There's a worldwide audience for a vast majority of this stuff, and yet these developers are largely limiting themselves by sticking to Comiket and the like. Take a cue from Pixel, you guys! Branch out!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wow, good job Sony! If only it covered travel and accommodation, though, otherwise I'd be all over it.
Do you want them to pay your rent, too? What else is free, Sony?

NotLiquid

I'd like to assume this is the kind of goodwill push a publisher would have to do to convince an indie to market their games in Japan.

That said it's interesting that Sony wants to do it for all platforms. Feels like a bit of a publicity stunt but it's certainly awesome.

nib95

Banned
Damn, pretty generous of them I suppose, especially the no platform discrepancy part. Sony loves Indies indeed lol.

Selfish or not, cheap good PR or not... I'm glad one of the main three are intent on curating the rise of the independant development community. People are starting to really wake up to the amazing games we can get when we let people create their own visions.

FDC1

Well, I doubt there will be a lot of Xbox Indy games presented at TGS but it's still a nice gesture

Sony's being pretty arrogant here. What makes them think that developers out there can't afford to pay the costs themselves. They're insinuating that all indie devs are completely helpless, and that they don't have two pennies to rub together or a pot to piss in.

Keep your handouts Sony - I believe in pride over charity thank you very much.

nib95

Banned
Sony's being pretty arrogant here. What makes them think that developers out there can't afford to pay the costs themselves. They're insinuating that all indie devs are completely helpless, and that they don't have two pennies to rub together or a pot to piss in.

Ok a few posts in here made me raise my eye brow, but this one flat out had me laughing out loud. Well done Sir….

Quasar

I'd like to assume this is the kind of goodwill push a publisher would have to do to convince an indie to market their games in Japan.

That said it's interesting that Sony wants to do it for all platforms. Feels like a bit of a publicity stunt but it's certainly awesome.

Well it does get them access to additional devs whilst they are feeling good about Sony which could allow Sony to turn that into ps4/vita ports.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

A+ sarcasm. 10/10, would read again.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Holy crap! This one is gold.

Rembrandt

Banned
That's pretty cool. I'm all for more indie games being developed for consoles in general. Sony's gonna announce TLG for PS4 and ride that wave.

Bundy

Banned
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese indies (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you pay someone's costs in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese indies, after hearing about this, are not going to develope for the PS4 or for either system, nor will they purchase a PS4. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize to all indie devs and demand a "launch parity clause", or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

Acrylic7

Damned if they do damned if they don't`? Is that what you mean?

What is arrogant about it?

Wow, that's great news for indies! Plus it'll create some (even more) good word of mouth for PS.

Why?

They are doing this because they are completely dominating the competition.
You ever see someone who is winning at life, or someone seeing themselves as being better than everyone be completely oblivious to how they let it show? Its the same imo.

There is nothing wrong with it but there is a word for it.

Top Bottom