• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whoever designed the WiiU OS should probably be fired, and their family exiled

potam

Banned
A recap of the thread thus far:
Why is everyone focusing on him not fixing the touchscreen instead of the OS not giving the user an option to use the gamepad's buttons?

I had such a disappointing time last night. My Gamepad has been fucked up for at least 8-10 months, and the touchscreen is essentially non-functional. When SM3DW came out, I managed to get to the point that I could play the game, though I missed out on some of the gameplay.

So last night, I made sure I could get to the actual WiiU home screen, past any annoying pop ups, and I went to buy MK8. Then I launched it. And it told me I didn't have enough space on the WiiU to create save data. Fuck. I couldn't even press the OK button to dismiss the message and just not save.

The WiiU is the worst designed fucking piece of consumer hardware ever, at least from a UI perspective. Nintendo had such a fucking hardon going for this touch screen, that they forgot all the physical buttons on the goddamn controller existed. So you can't interact with any messages that pop up from the system itself, except for touching it.

So, I can't do anything about data management, since it's all hidden behind a dumb touch-only UI. "But wait!" somebody in a design meeting thought, "what if the user is messing around in the system settings, and their touch screen dies. We need to allow them to exit somehow!" So, the only physical button which does anything at all in the system settings menus is B, which exits. You can't scroll through the options, or make any selections. But by God, they made sure you could exit.

The same problem applies to the main home screen. You can't do fuck all with the buttons you have sitting there all stupidly, it's all touch (or you can use a Wiimote, BUT ONLY FOR THIS SPECIFIC THING. FUCK USING IT ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE OS). "But wait!" something something something, "what if blah blah blah, let's make X swap screens." So again, Nintendo's fucking cream of the crop UI team recognized that physical buttons could serve a purpose, but abandoned that entire line of thought after they implemented the first fucking idea that came into their heads.

So yeah, I have an entirely broken console because Nintendo. Before anyone asks, I never bothered having this fixed all this time because the WiiU is a terrible machine, and I only really have a vague interest in playing MK8 and 3DW. So it's really never been worth the trouble to send it back into Nintendo to have it repaired, when I could spend a little more money and get a brand new console. Either way, it's not worth my time.

Ouren

image.php

tnaden

Chill out dude.

Before anyone asks, I never bothered having this fixed all this time because the WiiU is a terrible machine, and I only really have a vague interest in playing MK8 and 3DW. So it's really never been worth the trouble to send it back into Nintendo to have it repaired, when I could spend a little more money and get a brand new console. Either way, it's not worth my time.

Sure making a good case for yourself.

Rajack

Sounds like you need to talk to Nintendo for a repair instead of bitching about your EASILY FIXABLE PROBLEM on GAF.

Your Wii U has a defective touchscreen and you didn't care to get it repaired because there is nothing you want to play anyway?

Tough guy.

Takao

Banned
I know you said you don't think it's worth your time and money, but you probably should have gotten the controller fixed the moment you saw something wrong.

Shiina

Never seen the Wii U UI but the 3DS UI is a hot mess. Nintendo doesn't seem to be very good at making those.

Sendou

So yeah, I have an entirely broken console because Nintendo. Before anyone asks, I never bothered having this fixed all this time because the WiiU is a terrible machine, and I only really have a vague interest in playing MK8 and 3DW. So it's really never been worth the trouble to send it back into Nintendo to have it repaired, when I could spend a little more money and get a brand new console. Either way, it's not worth my time.

lol

You should have started with this so I could have stopped reading right there.

kadotsu

Banned
So you made the genius decision to wait with the repair until after your warranty was up? That seems like a very decadent move.

potam

Banned
No no, no need for anyone else to take the punishment. I admit it. I designed the Wii U OS!

h8 u

So you made the genius decision to wait with the repair until after your warranty was up? That seems like a very decadent move.

I had read that people were having to pay for shipping and/or replacement console. So it was never worth my time or money to do that. I figured I would wait until there was a game I wanted to play which absolutely required it.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Apparently it's not worth your time to actually fix your wii u, but it is worth your time to complain about it on a message board.

I don't think this topic will be kind to you.

sörine

Banned
Calling Nintendo to have your gamepad fixed probably would've taken less time and effort than typing up this frustrated rant. I hope the catharsis was worth it since an easy phone call seems not to be.

sörine;114289003 said:
Calling Nintendo to have your gamepad fixed probably would've taken less time and effort than typing up this frustrated rant. I hope the catharsis was worth it since an easy phone call seems not to be.
I agree. Nintendo customer service is very good about this type of stuff as well, in my experience.

Dizzy

Banned
Nintendo still doesn't sell gamepads? So if you want a new gamepad youve got to go through nintendo, want vc ganes on a new console go through nintendo.

Ffs. Sort it out Nintendo.

gngf123

You could phone Nintendo and get it repaired pretty quick. Would take less effort than it took you to write that OP.

Oh but by the sounds of that final paragraph and the title you have no interest in reasonable ideas and would much rather just let off steam. Okay.

Kelsey

Banned
Before anyone asks, I never bothered having this fixed all this time because the WiiU is a terrible machine, and I only really have a vague interest in playing MK8 and 3DW. So it's really never been worth the trouble to send it back into Nintendo to have it repaired, when I could spend a little more money and get a brand new console. Either way, it's not worth my time.

ibsVbtEkwR6aD7.gif

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
On the plus side, this shows why Nintendo won't be selling a Wii U without a gamepad any time soon.

Also, dat tag.

FyreWulff

Nintendo still doesn't sell gamepads? So if you want a new gamepad youve got to go through nintendo, want vc ganes on a new console go through nintendo.

Ffs. Sort it out Nintendo.

If he had called up Nintendo when the Gamepad went bad, it would have still been under warranty..

potam

Banned
The time you took writing out that post could have been spent sending your Wii U in for repair.

that would have been hard in the bathroom

That is the controller bro.

Then why would they have the ability to press B to exit the menu? I mean. What? They obviously saw some sort of use case scenario where the user would have to press B instead of tap the screen. So why did they stop there? What the fuck were they thinking?

LilJoka

I wonder how Gaf would respond to a Kinect only user interface on the X1, i think OP has a valid point, Nintendo took shortcuts to easily implementable features (not that i would even call it a feature, its basic functionality).

So your device is broken and you waited until it was too late to fix it, and it's nintendo's fault?

Would you say the same thing if your 3DS touchscreen broke?

Eh, I don't know how much the rest of you know about broken gamepad culture (I'm not an expert) but I think that repair is a huge part of it. It's not like working gamepad where you can use your Wii U by touching the screen. If you try to rub the screen on a broken gamepad, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that is to call the technical service.

I hope this could help you ! :p

I recommend using, I think it's either the X or the Y button, on the Gamepad (yes, a physical button) to bring your menu interface onto your TV screen. From there, if you have a Wii sensor bar and Wii Remote (from last generation), you can navigate the menu by pointing at the TV. From there you can get to your options etc.

And yeah, get your controller fixed. Nintendo customer support, at least in North America, are very gracious and kind people.

vazel

Banned
Wait, what? I navigate data management and the home screen without touch screen all the time because I don't want to get the screen smudgy.

Top Bottom