• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does one get into Street Fighter?

Alright, here's the deal:

I wanted some new skill-based competitive multiplayer game with a big community and lots of material to learn from. Dark Souls MP was the one game for me until I got tired of lag and cheap unbalanced tactics. Dark Souls 2 in not that much better in that regard, so I decided it's time to move on to something else. Games like Dota or Counter Strike do not really do it for me no more and I don't want to rely on anyone else than myself.

Super Street Fighter AE is on steam sale today. I grab it with a vision of finding a perfect game for my mindset right now.

So.

How does one get into it? What's the best place to find tips, strategies? Is it some kind of community information hub where people contribute and try things out? Is it a youtube channel dedicated to Street Fighter?

I would like this thread to be useful to many starting SF players, not just me.

TL:DR - Where to learn Street Fighter?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Play single player to unlock everything. Read some fighting forums to get the basics. Learn a couple of 3 hit combos with your favorite guy, try do those against the PC. Then try do those online and get owned and start reading in earnest

gngf123

Don't bother with arcade mode.

Don't bother with trails except for execution. Most of the combos are useless.

Learn how to use training mode.

Don't go too crazy with combos and specials at first. Make sure you understand your normals. What buttons you should use as footsies, what buttons you should use to anti-air, that kind of thing.

http://www.shoryuken.com character forums for learning.

Also, prepare to lose a lot. Get the first 50 losses online out the way and learn from them.

I used this to learn:

$T2eC16J,!y0E9s2S5)qrBRSUL+1Pv!~~60_35.JPG

VariantX

Play single player to unlock everything. Read some fighting forums to get the basics. Learn a couple of 3 hit combos with your favorite guy, try do those against the PC. Then try do those online and get owned and start reading in earnest

Theres no need for that. Only Vanilla SF4 required players to go through that unlocking crap. SSF4 and up has the entire roster available for play without restriction.

Shady859

Be prepared......
GLVuP.jpg

I "played" fighters as a kid, my friends at work are into fighters and invited me over to play with them. I never went back lol.

I "got into" Street Fighter by playing with a friend who is into the competitive aspect of it. He basically taught me how to play by breaking down the mechanics and inputs.

I tried to do that went back to soul calibur instead its a really salty game I tell you.

Especially people like to brag and trash talk you

Oh man sf was the worst fighting game exp of my life hahahaha

Rising_Hei

Play with a friend or some people you know with the same level as you and grow up together by playing against each other :)

CeePhour

Banned
ZYQBaNL.jpg

Watch some streams and videos, read shoryuken.com's character guides... and brace yourself for pain.

I found that finding "the character that feels right" and sticking with that one character really helps.

Alright, here's the deal:

I wanted some new skill-based competitive multiplayer game with a big community and lots of material to learn from. Dark Souls MP was the one game for me until I got tired of lag and cheap unbalanced tactics. Dark Souls 2 in not that much better in that regard, so I decided it's time to move on to something else. Games like Dota or Counter Strike do not really do it for me no more and I don't want to rely on anyone else than myself.

Super Street Fighter AE is on steam sale today. I grab it with a vision of finding a perfect game for my mindset right now.

So.

How does one get into it? What's the best place to find tips, strategies? Is it some kind of community information hub where people contribute and try things out? Is it a youtube channel dedicated to Street Fighter?

I would like this thread to be useful to many starting SF players, not just me.

TL:DR - Where to learn Street Fighter?

online resources since SF4 doesn't really have a good tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0cFs5mHQC4 - this is for an older game but the concepts still apply
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_nS5Jj3pHY&list=PL744144A71C67D816
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL74sOXyy6006Hn2IGe8keIqldimLzwobu

Juicebox teaches the game these days: http://www.twitch.tv/juiceboxabel

check out his stream after you've learned the basic controls, gotten somewhat comfortable with your moves and have a sense of what they do.

This video in particular should ensure you're off to a good start before you even pick up some bad habits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90

You'll need to read up a bit before that though if you want accurate information on the character's moves, but if you're looking to just eyeball things for the time being it should help anyway.

Jump into the game.

Play single player modes til its comfortable to play, IE arcade mode, vs. CPU, and training. Play with a bunch of characters because you never know who clicks for you. Once you are a bit more comfortable with the controls and general game then go online and do some casual matches and try to not take them super serious.

YOU WILL LOSE A LOT
! if this is your first foray into fighters but you are trying to enjoy the game at this point not become an expert in 20mins.

I recommend trial mode only to see what kinds of things the character can do but not for learning the actual game. Trial mode gives a slight gist of what the character can do and somewhat gives an idea of what you should be trying to do with a character but only slightly.

Best and last advice. GO FOR IT. With fighting games you have to try crazy stuff to get results. If you don't think it will work, try that shit anyway! if you are not comfortable with the mechanic or style, try it anyway!

I'm sure theres plenty on GAF willing to play with you and give tips. Heck even I will, add Valkerion on steam and we will go a few rounds... as long as you are not on the other side of the planet lol.

AAK

I'm not a Street Fighter player... but this is how I learned Tekken, and I'll explain in the context of Street Fighter to the best of my ability:

Step 1: Understand the object of the game (deplete your opponent's lifebar to 0 before he does it to you)
Step 2: Look at the HUD of the game and understand how it helps you achieve that goal.
Step 3: Understand what all the buttons do.
Step 4: Find out what all the mechanics in the game, and see which buttons correspond to that mechanic. (i.e. overheads, anti-airs, supers, footsie tools, grabs, invincible moves, knockdown attacks, long range attacks, pokes, combo starters, etc.)
Step 5: Pick a character that appeals to you.
Step 6: Find out what buttons lead to each mechanic from Step 4.
Step 7: Practice
Step 8: Practice some more
Step 9: Practice
Step 10: Practice
Step 11: Practice even more
Step 12: Play against Human opponents
Step 13: Repeat steps 7-12 and enjoy

Remember when actively playing other people in a fighting game during the learning phase... don't play to win. You are never going to improve if you keep that mentality. Always set goals for yourself in each session you have, and concentrate on meeting that goal in those sessions. For example, One day when you have a session against a fellow local player, as you play, don't start the match thinking about how you're going to beat him. There's too much information to compute before you'll be able to do so in complete control of your character. Instead focus on one thing to build in your arsenal... for example successful anti-airs. Tell yourself before playing each match, "I'm going to punish every single jump in this guy does on me" And focus only on that. If you comes up and throws you, or comes up and does pokes, and overwhelms you with offense... doesn't matter. Just wait for that eventual jump and do the specific anti-air your character is adept at performing. Rinse and repeat until it becomes second nature. That way you will learn a skill every session until eventually your mind can comprehend and carry out all the skills that you've added to your arsenal and THEN eventually start winning.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT:

Also, contrary to what some people are saying here, I say don't watch high level tournament match videos to learn. The mind games and decisions those players have come from an extremely comprehensive understanding of all the fundamentals and intricacies of the game, I don't think you'll gain much from watching them... that's how it was for me when learning Tekken. I recommend just sticking to the fundamentals and perfecting them... But maybe it is just me having below average skills to make something out of those matches when I was a beginner.

Nocturno999

Experiment with many characters but stick with 2 at most. Ryu is a must for fundamentals and ease to play.

Open endless rooms online and label them as "beginners only" so you don't get demoralized by people that play 10+ hours a day.

Watch streams and Youtube videos to get an idea of how to punish certain attacks or defend from them.

Even though a lot of combos in the trials are not the best, It gives you an idea of how the combo system works.
I recommend you to try them and check Youtube for the trials you can't complete/understand.

Good luck.

You're gonna lose a lot, but the most important thing is to know why you lost and improve that aspect of your game (don't press buttons when you're on the floor, don't reversal everything, don't random ultra, don't just jump in etc etc).

A lot of stuff will seem impossible to beat, a lot of people will abuse the same move if they know you can't figure it out. Visit shoryuken forums to see what some people do to counter that move.

Last but not least, visit the gaf SFIV community thread (currently that is the ULTRA OT Topic). So many players of varying skills, I'm sure you will find a sparring partner there :)

I also want to get into Street Fighter but I'm bummed out that there is no and will never be an actual community with arcades & tournaments or in general people I know in real life that play SF aswell here (Germany) and that I'll only have online to play other people. ..

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

stn

Normally I'd say play some SF2 to get a grasp of footsies since that game doesn't encourage jumping at all, plus its very strict. Its a great way to get certain fundamentals engraved into your mind. However, it might take a lot of time to learn SF2 in conjunction with SF4.

Hop into training mode with a simple character (Ryu, Guile, or Ken). Learn each attack, learn each special move. Once you're comfortable with the moves and cancels, go intro training and do all the combos just to see your characters variety. Then, go on YT and watch a tutorial on your character. Once you've figured out how your character is supposed to play, go into online and just keep at it. You WILL lose a lot, just keep on going.

Well, for learning the basics of specific characters in SSF4AE, the forums over at Shoryuken.com are a good place to start.

But for learning the absolute basics of fighting games in general, look no further than the Footsies Handbook.

http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

This guide is so fundamentally useful and impressively comprehensive that I find myself revisiting it yearly.

SmokeMaxX

Being able to take a loss and come back will make you better than 95% of people who've ever touched a fighting game. Street Fighter is tough because it's like a chess match. You can make a whole bunch of great moves, but that's not factored into the end result. You either win or you lose. That's unlike a game like Call of Duty where even if you lose, you get to see how many kills, caps, assists, etc. you got. Thus, it's harder mentally on newer players who just see losses pile up.

Thanks for all the replies. This is about the exact thing I wanted to see here. I will definitely check out all the links. I am OK with loosing and breaking up why it happened. This is not my first competitive MP game at all.

RedAssedApe

Banned
probably doesn't help that you've lttp so all the remaining online players are probably gonna be hardcore players. maybe wait until usf4 releases haha

I would start with Third Strike. Great looking game with fluid animations and fast paced fighting.(feels better to play than SF2)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Travel back in time to 1991. Go to Round Table Pizza after school with your Chinese friend who thinks he's good at Street Fighter but really isn't that great. Learn from his older brother. Then buy a SNES and play SF2 Turbo Edition all day every day. As long as you only play Ken and Ryu, you'll be set for all SF2s, Alphas, SFEXs, SF3s, and SF4s. This is the true path of the warrior.

gngf123

probably doesn't help that you've lttp so all the remaining online players are probably gonna be hardcore players. maybe wait until usf4 releases haha

Believe me, there are some of us scrubs still online.

However, since the update the matchmaking has been... poor. Hard to learn when it thinks a 500-1000pp player is "similar skill" to a 4000pp player.

Well, there are many problems since the update. To the point where online is pretty much worthless anyway.

I would start with Third Strike. Great looking game with fluid animations and fast paced fighting.(feels better to play than SF2)

I am not that out of the loop to not know what you just did there.

EDIT: you probably noticed that I am not a native english speaker

Find a character you like the look of then go to SRK or Eventhubs and bring up the page for that character.

Set up a training room with that character and refer to the character page. Experiment. Press buttons. Press buttons while holding different directions. Check how far moves reach. Get to grips with the normal attacks, anti-airs and basic bread and butter combos. Then try that character and your new found knowledge in arcade mode on medium. Clear that? Go up a difficulty setting and try doing it again. Once you have all difficulties done with your character, try going online. Endless battles are usually where it's at and more often than not, there are a lot of helpful people that won't mind sparring with you and advising you on dos and don'ts or weaknesses/tendancies you may have. Of course you will run into a lot of dicks too but it's online so it's to be expected.

Have fun. If you find yourself getting the rage, step away for a smoke or a cup of tea or whatever you do. Maybe change up character if you are starting to feel like you're not getting anywhere with your current one.

It's already been said but I think it's some of the most valuable advice given so far in the thread. Be ready to lose but be sure to understand why you lost. The game has a handy replay function so you can watch the match you just played. It's easier to spot your mistakes through passive viewing than trying to think back on the match you just played and try to remember if you messed up or not.

I'm high and rambling. You picked a great time to get into the series with Ultra being released this week. Enjoy!

I don't know why people find fighters so hard to approach. It's just like any game, you get better over time. Play the single player, play with people you know are new or newer players then work your way up from there. I would say that while their are a ton of great players, the majority of them are average, just like any other game. So while you will struggle at first, you should be on par with the general online population fairly quickly.

Heman

Forward, down, down-forward and heavy punch = SF champion brah

/s

Pick a character and play, if you like the game enough the rest will come. There are also guides and stuff up the wazoo (i.e. shoryuken.com)

Been playing SF4 on and off consistently for the last 2 years, I've definitely become better but I've never mastered FADC so I've sort of hit a ceiling.

I recommend endless lobbies if you want to improve.

I recommend picking ryu and ken since they are beginning characters. Learn the buttons. Proceed with learning your character special moves, supers and ultras. Learn which moves are cancelable ex: low MK into hadouken. How to grab. Avoid jumping around like a manic.

It seems overwhelming but take your time SF it's one of the most rewarding games once you know how to play. Welcome to SF

Top Bottom