• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turns out Wingman really has left the project :( sad times.

gonna miss wingman, their audio director who was also there from the start also recently left and now the sound diirector from the batman arkham series has joined CIG. It's sad to see familiar faces go, especially wingman, but it's good to hear that industry vets are joining the crew to fill in the gaps.

Hopefully wingman has a role in the PU or Sq42 when it launches, would love to see a cameo of him

Daedardus

Even 900 years from now, gender segregation still runs rampant in fashion, where women are the only ones allowed to wear dresses, colour and high heels and men are the only ones to wear jackets.

970? Not even SLI?

Not like this, Dae.

I want to build a new pc, not a two-in-one vacuum cleaner and stove.

KKRT00

Gamersyde got high quality shots from Planetside and FPS Module!
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_screens_of_star_citizen_s_fps_module-16014_en.html

o_0
image_star_citizen-26795-2615_0005.jpg

image_star_citizen-26795-2615_0001.jpg

image_star_citizen-26793-2615_0001.jpg

Keasar

I wonder how many landing spots in the game will have unique art like this. I can see them being able to reuse station material on many space stations but planets seem to be going for unique styles every time, this has to present a ton of workload for the responsible studio.

KKRT00

I wonder how many landing spots in the game will have unique art like this. I can see them being able to reuse station material on many space stations but planets seem to be going for unique styles every time, this has to present a ton of workload for the responsible studio.

They will be creating most stuff from modules.

MrBig

They will be creating most stuff from modules.

Modular assets, more accurately. The approach is likely to create a modular asset pack for each unique planet and then quickly build out areas with the pieces available. Hero/unique assets would only need to be made for special things like store signs and that orb in the center of the screenshot. This is how large games like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Bioshock, Rage, Halo, etc are made.

As an aside, their 3D HUD systems make me worried. I sure do hope they're designed explicitly for (and tested in) VR as it certainly doesn't seem like it would be able to provide the necessarily dynamic features of variable FoV for traditional 2D monitors.
Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean the 3d hud will not work with a variable FoV or large FoVs like the one found in the rift?
I don't remember this from the FPS demo.
It was in today's AtV episode. They had extra footage from the demo.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I guess the guys making the FPS Module have never played Shattered Horizon. It is ok, no one else has either :(

Just so people know that they have yet show the cover/leaning/sliding mechanics which will be part of the FPS module. I'm guessing they were in such early development when they aired the FPS reveal that they couldn't be shown.

MrBig

Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean the 3d hud will not work with a variable FoV or large FoVs like the one found in the rift?

The 3D hud means it is FoV and resolution dependent, as opposed to traditional screenspace huds only being resolution dependent, not bound to FoV. If you were to change the FoV of the shown hud you would either crop it through making the FoV smaller, or shrink it by making the FoV bigger. The issue therein is that 2D monitors come in all sizes, and people sit at various distances from them, making a variable FoV necessary. A VR environment does not need a variable FoV as the size and distance of the screen is the known variable.

Just so people know that they have yet show the cover/leaning/sliding mechanics which will be part of the FPS module. I'm guessing they were in such early development when they aired the FPS reveal that they couldn't be shown.

They have talked about it though. The system is similar to Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 4, as opposed to traditional snap cover found in games like Deus Ex HR and Gears of War. This means that you can freely walk up to a wall and have the game realize that you want to conceal yourself behind it, then allow you to peak around corners. All in first person.

epmode

I guess the guys making the FPS Module have never played Shattered Horizon. It is ok, no one else has either :(

*secret handshake*

edit: If you read the monthly update, the sound guys seem interested in changing the depiction of external audio when inside or outside of your ship. They even mentioned dropping audio at certain points. Because space. I love that stuff so I hope they look into it.

MrBig

*secret handshake*

edit: If you read the monthly update, the sound guys seem interested in changing the depiction of external audio when inside or outside of your ship. They even mentioned dropping audio at certain points. Because space. I love that stuff so I hope they look into it.

As the in-ship sound is 'simulated audio', not having sound for new phenomena can be an interesting mechanic. An example could be a new alien weapon not having a firing sfx the first time you encounter it, preventing you from having that sense to detect it and prepare yourself for defense; or natural events like the breaking of asteroids could not have sound, so that if you think someone is shooting at you and just missing, they could be breaking up a big rock to crush you.

Blizzard

Banned
I did too, so that's like 5 of us total! The audio going silent in that game was a nice touch, but I wasn't a big fan of it otherwise. Multiplayer only on Steam is almost a guaranteed dead game, especially combined with high system requirements and/or not a lot of variety in the gameplay.

The 3D hud means it is FoV and resolution dependent, as opposed to traditional screenspace huds only being resolution dependent, not bound to FoV. If you were to change the FoV of the shown hud you would either crop it through making the FoV smaller, or shrink it by making the FoV bigger. The issue therein is that 2D monitors come in all sizes, and people sit at various distances from them, making a variable FoV necessary. A VR environment does not need a variable FoV as the size and distance of the screen is the known variable.

I would imagine that the FOV will be only slightly scalable and instead the default FOV will be high (as the footage does kinda show a higher than console FOV).

The monitor sizes FOV question is one I really never considered. I always assume 16:10 and 16:9 monitors have relatively similar view space. I would imagine they are designing it to be monitor agnostic in some sense of the word. If not, there is no reason why they cannot go in after the fact and clean up some problems by modifying the world space position of th HUD on the helmet if a different FOV is present.

IMO, give them the benefit of the doubt until we know there could be a problem.

phoenixyz

In the Illfonic AMA they said that dynamic FOV is one of the unsolved problems because of the HUD and the character-model-bound camera. But they are certainly aware that it will pose problems.

Akronis

Finally bit the bullet and purchased a Thrustmaster Warthog. I've heard people say it's not the best for Star Citizen, but the build quality is super important to me. I can't stand my X52 Pro and the CH yoke is nice, but I need a good stick too.

Anyone else with a Warthog that can share some impressions?

Daedardus

Nice, I can already see myself dragging Daedardus' dead body to the nearest airlock of the once his 890 Jump.

Well, I first need an 890 Jump. Going to get a Carrack for in-between first though. As of now I'm going 315p -> Freelancer (unless something nicer looking comes out) -> Carrack -> 890 Jump. Need a new PC first though. I'm very close to ordering one. Very close :p.

Finally bit the bullet and purchased a Thrustmaster Warthog. I've heard people say it's not the best for Star Citizen, but the build quality is super important to me. I can't stand my X52 Pro and the CH yoke is nice, but I need a good stick too.

Shouldn't you ask for impressions first, then buy? :p

epmode

It's true. I don't think much about looks when it comes to that stuff, though.

The Warthog is apparently amazing so I'm sure you'll be happy.

Daedardus

Ordered a new PC, components will arrive next week so I should have everything installed within two weeks.

Finally able to play Star Citizen! Now I don't need to feel guilty about buying new ships :p.

I've got the hog and the only problem is there is a little too much resistance compared to x52 or x55. For sims like DCS where you need slower and precise movements to controlling your aircraft it works great but fast simcade shooters like AC is right now its kind of hard moving your ship around at the speed you need which is why I'm playing with gamepad atm

MrBig

I think I need a guide or something. I got this with my new card and have no idea what the F I am doing.

It's a pre-alpha test of ship to ship combat, there's not really anything else to understand about the playable game at this point. Check op for some introductory info.

Daedardus

Why the hell did I order a card that apparently can do 1440p@60fps on very high on most games but only a 1080p monitor? (Honest answer: cheap low-latency 1440p IPS-panels don't exist)

Ah well, at least I can run Star Citizen along with some fancy AA and maybe a dual-screen setup.
And the Witcher 3. Hopefully.

Anyway, seems like we reached 61 million. Getting another million is so boring now, we start taking it for granted.

bro1

Banned
Why the hell did I order a card that apparently can do 1440p@60fps on very high on most games but only a 1080p monitor? (Honest answer: cheap low-latency 1440p IPS-panels don't exist)

Ah well, at least I can run Star Citizen along with some fancy AA and maybe a dual-screen setup.
And the Witcher 3. Hopefully.

Anyway, seems like we reached 61 million. Getting another million is so boring now, we start taking it for granted.
One word: qnix

Daedardus

Yeah I plan to for slightly older games, although good AA is mostly sufficient for newer games like Star Citizen because downsampling from 4K isn't that feasible and when in high action the difference is neglible.

One word: qnix

Nah, I heard that the latency isn't optimal. I now have a 24" one with a stury build quality and low latency. I'll just buy an extra monitor further down the line once I have saved up money again.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Aw yeah, the NeoGAF ship has arrived. And it's mine. Image is not, though.

Haha, hadn't noticed that. Nice.

Too bad about the 300i losing its nose gun and the amount of ammo for the 325a's nose gun getting an ammo nerf. That thing was the only reason I could kill enemies in Vanduul Swarm in a 300i.

Aw yeah, the NeoGAF ship has arrived. And it's mine. Image is not, though./QUOTE]

Haha, hadn't noticed that. Nice.

Too bad about the 300i losing its nose gun and the amount of ammo for the 325a's nose gun getting an ammo nerf. That thing was the only reason I could kill enemies in Vanduul Swarm in a 300i.

300i losing its nose gun was something that is pretty necessary for some good balance though IMO.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
300i losing its nose gun was something that is pretty necessary for some good balance though IMO.

But losing its missiles, too, makes it the lightest of light fighters. Those Omnisky VIs suck.

[edit] And when they introduce the Avenger variants they've mentioned before, they better not strip all the weapons off the base model to coerce me to spend money 1) on Voyager Direct weapons just so I can shoot things with my $60 ship, or 2) on an upgrade to an Avenger model that comes equipped with weapons.

Or I could wait for the final game to come out and get everything for free, sure, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom