• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You won't believe what happens when The Onion launches a clickbait parody site

Status
Not open for further replies.

dekline

rheerhgfuo9.png

This might as well be a legit site.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's funny, but those sites like buzzfeed went into self-parody a long time ago. There is a cynical side of me that notices that there's very little separating a satirical clickbait site from an actual one. The satirical one uses all the same tactics (and garners the same real, dollar-generating clicks) as the "real" one, but also draws in an additional crowd of people thinking they're above it all. The onion knows how often people mistake Onion articles for real and how they go viral... I can't help but feel they are banking on that to happen 10x with this site.

Real Hero

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's funny, but those sites like buzzfeed went into self-parody a long time ago. There is a cynical side of me that notices that there's very little separating a satirical clickbait site from an actual one. The satirical one uses all the same tactics (and garners the same real, dollar-generating clicks) as the "real" one, but also draws in an additional crowd of people thinking they're above it all. The onion knows how often people mistake Onion articles for real and how they go viral... I can't help but feel they are banking on that to happen 10x with this site.
It's trying to be funny and it is. So I don't think it matters.

This sit is amazingly brilliant

5 Iconic Movie Scenes that were Actually Fake

The Temple Chase, ‘Raiders Of The Lost Ark’ (1981)

In the unforgettable opening of Raiders, Indy’s attempt to steal a golden idol left him running for his life from a crumbling temple—and one heck of a big boulder. Heart-pounding? Sure.

But did it really happen?

Turns out the boulder wasn’t the work of the gods, but was actually a prop made out of fiberglass and wood by film director Steven Spielberg and the special effects studio Industrial Light and Magic. Kind of takes some of the danger out of it, doesn’t it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom