• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable dev Lionhead has 8-person team building its "next big IP"

mocoworm

Want Lionhead to make something that isn't Fable? It's on it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-20-fable-dev-lionhead-has-8-person-team-building-its-next-big-ip

Fable Legends developer Lionhead has charged a small team with coming up with the studio's next big new intellectual property.

Studio head John Needham told Eurogamer Germany its eight-person incubation team, headed up by creative director Gary Carr, is as we speak working on prototypes for new games that are not related to fantasy role-playing series Fable, as well as new experiences that may be added to multiplayer online quest adventure game Fable Legends, due out on Xbox One in 2015.

"It's a team of about eight guys we have in the studio who are trying to build the next big IP for us," Needham said.

"They're working on a couple of new prototypes for completely different games - not Fable related. They'll also be working on new games we can put within Fable Legends as well.

"The primary purpose of the group is to come up with new game IP, and we'll hopefully this next year have something exciting to talk about," he said.

Lionhead, which has focused on the Fable franchise in recent years, is often asked whether it might revisit one of its older games for a potential sequel or reboot, with strategy game Black & White chief among them.

However, as Black & White was published by EA, it seems unlikely Lionhead, owned by Microsoft, will go back to it.

Instead, it wants to focus on new IP.

"We're going to come up with new IP.," Needham stressed.

"There is great IP in Lionhead's history, it's just spotty who owns what. Fable, clearly we're going to be investing most of the studio's efforts into that, but we'll have some new IP to share with you soon.""

CLICK HERE FOR MORE

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Flappy Bird clone Kinect-exclusive.

Nah tbh, nice to see them working on new new stuff.

Ape

Banned
That's what I thought too. Probably not going to happen until 2017 at the soonest. They've been doing nothing other than Fable since MS bought them in 2006. How depressing.

Seriously depressing. I'd like to see if 343i could do a different IP. I know it will never happen but that would be very cool.

Tm42eGk.jpg

It lives!?

I'd like to be more excited, but their last few Fable games have been Fable-in-name-only new IPs that were awful, and the new Fable looks to be following suit.

Doffen

Sounds good.

Creating a new IP will be healthy for the studio. Keeps things interesting and maybe will help them in developing a better Fable in the future.

I'm also very interested in Fable Legends. Could be cool.

Good to hear more information about their other plans. He says hopefully we'll hear about it "this next year" which immediately suggests E3 2015 to me, Lionhead are a big studio and a year between now and then is a long time.

Assuming Fable Legends is out before E3 next year, if the majority of the studio moves over to it straight after that I can see a late 2016...

So basically pretty much like every other devteam in existence?

Team works on one series for nearly a decade, moves on to a new IP and gives more specifics about their process, that is obviously news...

Every studio has some members experimenting with prototypes for new games and its common. Its not like developers going to look for new game prototypes only after finishing the current project and every studio surely have small team working with prototypes.

Karak

I like the idea of a small group just bouncing ideas and bits around for a long time before it grows past them. Hoping for something interesting.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
IIRC 14 people made Tearaway, so maybe you can be optimistic about the quality(less about sales :( )

Good to hear more information about their other plans. He says hopefully we'll hear about it "this next year" which immediately suggests E3 2015 to me, Lionhead are a big studio and a year between now and then is a long time.

Assuming Fable Legends is out before E3 next year, if the majority of the studio moves over to it straight after that I can see a late 2016...

Lionhead has a two-year dev cycle on their games. (3 with Legends, but we can chalk that up to platform transition) It's very likely going to be 2017.

old

Isn't hearthstone being made by a small team within blizzard? These small teams might be the new rage.

OldRoutes

8 people is enough for prototyping (it's even quite a lot to be fair), but the development team will be bigger when they're there.

Isn't hearthstone being made by a small team within blizzard? These small teams might be the new rage.

"Next big IP" tend to refer to high-quality AAA production value titles, and those are not the kind of games that can be built in full by a small team with a small amount of time.

This is clearly a early-stages pre-production team that's experimenting on game concepts/design/basic ideas first.

Lionhead has a two-year dev cycle on their games. (3 with Legends, but we can chalk that up to platform transition) It's very likely going to be 2017.

Its possible, but I still think it depends on when Legends launches. The beta is this year and that team of 8 could grow even before Legends ships (not significantly) I don't think late 2016 is entirely out of the question, I guess it depends on the game. The engine work will be all done (you mentioned platform transition) and they're using UE4 anyway... if Legends is early 2015 and the new IP ships in late 2016 thats not exactly far off two years...

Its possible, but I still think it depends on when Legends launches. The beta is this year and that team of 8 could grow even before Legends ships (not significantly) I don't think late 2016 is entirely out of the question, I guess it depends on the game. The engine work will be all done (you mentioned platform transition) and they're using UE4 anyway... if Legends is early 2015 and the new IP ships in late 2016 thats not exactly far off two years...

Legends is planned to be a continuous games-as-service that has episodic content. Plus the 8-person team's prototypes involve adding game content to Legends.

Unless the team grows massively in the next 2 years ( 150-ish atm at Lionhead ), I don't see how that can be realistically feasible. Not to mention we're assuming the best case scenario while we're at it... Building new IPs are often challenging and take longer time than just shipping a sequel.

I hope it's the previously mentioned eden falls... A fable type game in a post apocalyptic universe would be really cool I think.

Though given the size of the team I highly doubt it.

Legends is planned to be a continuous games-as-service that has episodic content. Plus the 8-person team's prototypes involve adding game content to Legends.

Unless the team grows massively in the next 2 years ( 150-ish atm at Lionhead ), I don't see how that can be realistically feasible. Not to mention we're assuming the best case scenario while we're at it... Building new IPs are often challenging and take longer time than just shipping a sequel.

I find the 8 people working on FL as well to be a bit odd but never mid. Whats the source of Lionhead being 150 people? Ive never seen it confirmed anywhere (recently) and there are a ton of people in the Lionhead building (shared with Microsoft Europe publishing though) so I don't think its that clear. What you're saying makes sense though, perhaps I'm just being too hopeful

I hope it's the previously mentioned eden falls... A fable type game in a post apocalyptic universe would be really cool I think.

Though given the size of the team I highly doubt it.

Eden Falls name was bought by MS for Lift London but it doesn't mean it can't be the same game (unless the plan changed for the use of the name)

I find the 8 people working on FL as well to be a bit odd but never mid. Whats the source of Lionhead being 150 people? Ive never seen it confirmed anywhere (recently) and there are a ton of people in the Lionhead building (shared with Microsoft Europe publishing though) so I don't think its that clear. What you're saying makes sense though, perhaps I'm just being too hopeful

LinkedIn.

They list Lionhead Studios as 400+ people, but 250 of said 400 are located in China/USA, which I take it as error listings or another company called Lionhead that got mixed up.

When filtered to just UK listings, they put Lionhead at 155 headcount.

Futhermore, their website list them as a team 'over a hundred', so we know that as large as they are... they're nowhere close to even one Ubisoft studio.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
8 seems small for a preproduction team on a AAA IP. That said, it could bode well for it having a focused creative vision.

Top Bottom