• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yves Guillemot: Will improve characters Watch Dogs 2, Aiden Pearce's role uncertain

Dawg

Watch Dogs has been a great sales success, but it's also been criticised for its fairly generic characters. Are you taking on board that criticism?

For sure. We are also making sure the experience is better; at launch we had a number of small problems which have mostly been resolved now. We knew it would be polarising; some people loved the characters and some didn't. It was difficult to please everybody with that character. Now, having seen the reaction, we know what we will do next to improve that.

Can you see Aiden staying on as the lead for Watch Dogs 2?

I can't say because I don't know actually. We'll see.

Most of the characters in blockbuster games today seem to follow the same archetype: 'angry white man'...

We are working on that. We want to spend more time on the worlds and characters in our games... you will see more and more of this at Ubisoft. We'll try to be less like we have been in the past with some characters. We'll try to extend more diversity.

From the interview with CVG

Wash me if old.

Azric

Banned
I hope by diversity they don't just mean Black(nothing against). I want to play as a Filipino assassin or something.

Please get rid of Aiden.

He was bland and had no character development beyond the standard "man out for revenge" trope. Clara or T-Bone would be infinitely more interesting as protagonists.

The problem with games is that they try to appeal to everyone and therefore creates an 'average game' that most will 'like' but never 'love', instead of making it unique and creating something that a lot will love, really support, and create a fan base.

Instead of such an average lead character, I think some games need to have a unique character, an unforgettable one with a personality, one with motivation, and feelings.

Well jeez I'd hope so. There's no where to go but up, really.

Aiden, without exaggeration, is one of the worst videogame protagonists I've ever played as. Completely unrelatable and unlikable. No other characters in the game stand out as at all interesting either, save maybe Jordi Chin, who's barely in the game anyway.

Axe Aiden for the sequel. He's unsalvageable.

RE_Player

They were lucky they generated a solid hype machine. The game was going to sell regardless.

Scrap any connection to the first game. Never have I played an open world game with more bland and boring characters like Watch_Dogs. Aiden is one of the dullest protagonists.

Fracas

#fuckonami
We knew it would be polarising; some people loved the characters and some didn't.

I'm honestly pretty sure I haven't seen anyone praising the cast. Jordi and Bedbug were really the only halfway decent characters.

From looking at early footage, it appears abundantly obvious that Aiden (and the rest of the game) was focus-tested into oblivion.

555322240.gif

Hit the road Aiden

Dawg

I'm honestly pretty sure I haven't seen anyone praising the cast. Jordi and Bedbug were really the only halfway decent characters.

A shame both of those characters pretty much disappeared after a few missions
excluding Jordi because he appears at the end but eh

BFIB

Aiden is by far the blandest protagonist I've ever played. Makes Connor look awesome by comparison.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I didn't love Aiden either but I really thought the game itself was one of the best open world games I've played in years. The mechanics were really fantastic and the world itself beautifully realized. I don't understand all the hate.

im really fucking curious about people that 'love' aiden... there is NOTHING about him that is 'loveable'.

haven't felt this bummed about a protag im playing since Asbel.

His rapist smile does not help either.

maybe have a friggin alias next time u try to hit the bad guys and u have a family around

mission: tail that guy

walk 2 steps.

YO ITS THE VIGILANTE! LETS TAKE A PICTURE!

I hope by diversity they don't just mean Black(nothing against). I want to play as a Filipino assassin or something.
You're in luck! Because of your feedback you'll play a white guy born in the Philippines from white parents who moved there for charity work and stayed the rest of their lives
/s

I'm not finished with the game, but Pearce sucks all the way. Worst vigilante in the world.

Either bring back Clara or just start fresh because fuck that guy and his 80 trenchcoats

I didn't love Aiden either but I really thought the game itself was one of the best open world games I've played in years. The mechanics were really fantastic and the world itself beautifully realized. I don't understand all the hate.

Eh I think the hate is localized to a few loudmouths on the internet, with a good concentration here on gaf. Just look at Skyrim - if you based your opinion solely on those on this forum you'd think it was the worse game ever made.

That said Aiden was a dumb character. I eventually embraced that he is a murderous psychopath, no better (morally) than a GTA protagonist, and it got better.

antitrop

At least they acknowledge the shortcomings aren't just like "WATCH_DOGS SUCCESSFUL NEW IP NO PROBLEMS PERFECT GAME WILL MAKE SEQUEL BEST GAME EVER!"

Personally, I'd like to just see them kill Aiden off in the first 5 minutes of Watch_Dogs 2.

Genio88

I'd like to see a new city with completely new characters in Watch Dogs 2, hopefully with better stories and depth. And of course also the E3 2012 reveal graphics would be appreciated

x-Lundz-x

I liked Aiden, and all the characters actually especially Clara. Come at me.

Personally I would like to see Aiden be the lead again in WD2, just maybe give him a little bit more character development.

mreddie

T Bone, Jordi and Clara were better characters than Aiden.

I really hated how Clara was dealt with though. It was really scripted and you couldn't drive near her and bring out a gun ASAP. Fuck off.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If they do an AC1>AC2 jump in quality for WD2 it'll be awesome. The first game is pretty good most of the time but seems to back away from the more unique and interesting ideas and plotlines whenever it gets close to greatness.

Mild ending spoilers
Aiden's outlook at the end of the game was what I was expecting him to be for the rest of the game. A new protagonist being trained by a more self aware Aiden could help the game a lot.

Hoodbury

I don't really get in this day and age why more games don't do what Mass Effect did where you can change what the protagonist looks like. Even what gender they are.

AmyS

If Watch Dogs 2 still takes place in Chicago, the scope / sand box / open-world better include some of the major suburbs (Evanston, Highland Park, in Cook & Lake County, etc) plus Chicago's satellite cities: Elgin, Joliet, Aurora and Waukegan.

Ubisoft, you do want to at least look like you're trying to compete with with Rockstar/GTA, don't you? Did you guys play San Andreas ?

Make full use of all the RAM available to games in the new current-gen consoles.

On the subject of graphics, well, I'm not even gonna go there right now.

SJRB

Gold Member
Aiden is cool, it's the disjointed narrative that makes him look bad.

Jordi is awesome, Clara is fine, Quinn is great. Maurice is very interesting. Defalt was very cool because of how out-of-place he was compared to the rest. Iraq was okay, but had too much character buildup with way too little payoff.

The only truly, utterly terrible characters are Damien Brenks and T-Bone. Which is unfortunate, because Damien Brenks is the backbone of the entire narrative.

I liked Aiden, and all the characters actually especially Clara. Come at me.

Personally I would like to see Aiden be the lead again in WD2, just maybe give him a little bit more character development.

I actually really liked Aiden. He took shit seriously and he was a flawed character (wouldn't let go - refused to cooperate with Damien out of pride - vengeful). Much better than all the wise cracking hilarious jokesters that are prevalent these days (Jordi fills that role anyways). I like my stories to be serious sometimes.

What was wrong with the ending? I thought it closed things off well and setup for a sequel.

Dawg

Personally, I'd like to just see them kill Aiden off in the first 5 minutes of Watch_Dogs 2.

Walking around like a creep in some kind of messed up Ubi design costume, whispering "I'm the batman" to his phone.

And then some dude shoots him.

Dysun

Characters and narrative are pure vanilla. Some of the most boring shit I've ever played. I actually enjoy doing the blue side missions with one line of story more than the main campaign

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
A bunch of have said it, but I'm hoping Watch Dogs 2 will make the jump AC did to AC2, AC was a solid base much like Watch Dogs, good mechanics but the story and main character were rather meh.

I don't really get in this day and age why more games don't do what Mass Effect did where you can change what the protagonist looks like. Even what gender they are.

That would be nice, but you know Ubisoft, they like main characters who wear something no one else in the game world does and sticks out from a crowd like a sore thumb.

Denton

I did not mind Aiden as much, even if he was inconsistent and growl was out of place in places. I can see him in the next game.

But, Clara was fantastic and I loved every cutscene she was in -
so it super sucks ass what happened with her
- and Jordi was pretty awesome too, would like to see him in another game.

All in all I just want Watch Dogs 2 already, I enjoyed the shit out of this game and want more, especially if they take criticisms to heart. Not the driving ones though, because haters can suck it, driving was awesome. Just give me more freedom to look around in cockpit view and I am golden.

Zukuu

Banned
What kind of hyperbole is that: "some people loved the characters some didn't". The game has far more problems than its atrocious cast tho.

Ascenion

Connor is incredible compared to Aiden and that is saying something.

Connor, if you actually play all AC3 has to offer, is quite possibly the most real character Ubisoft has ever made. His problem was Noah Watts and its a shame we'll never get to see him truly develop.

That's not how every game should be approached. Plus Ubisoft.

Aiden is cool, it's the disjointed narrative that makes him look bad.

The only truly, utterly terrible characters are Damien Brenks and T-Bone. Which is unfortunate, because Damien Brenks is the backbone of the entire narrative.
You think Aiden was good but T-Bone was bad? That's a bit backwards. Aiden was as dull as a blown lightbulb while T-Bone actually had a personality.

Kadayi

Banned
I think the biggest problem with Aiden was in large part down to the fact that they don't introduce to you to him before events.

Half the charm of say Ezio was that you initially played him as relatively carefree Florentine youth before injustice & tragedy befall his family.

You directly experienced his loss, versus being shown it through a cut scene.

WD never really makes an effort to explain AP in terms of his role prior to the events of the game. Albeit he's talked about as a hacker, he's in reality more akin to a fixer/field operative Versus Clara or T-Bone (whom I agree is a walking cliché). Eluding to some military/espionage background as a career before he turned to crime wouldn't of really gone amiss in terms of defining him.

Personally I think going forward they are far better off going with a new protagonist. Hopefully one whose more fully fleshed out.

Top Bottom