• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Has Been Played by 13 Million Players | Average Playtime per Player is 40 Hours

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How long to beat has Skyrim's average main story completion time at 26 hours (I think it can be done much quicker than that).

40hrs average play time is a pretty high number.
The average in Skyrim was no doubt higher than rushing the story 26 hours or less. That game was a phenom time-sink to many.

Starfield per your example,

twilo99

I wonder how this compares to the other titles like Skyrim and Fallout 4.

There are still a lot of people that still play Fallout 4, despite it being considered an absolute failure.

I expect the same thing to happen to Starfield, a lot of people will continue playing the game for a long time, despite it also being an utter failure by a lot of people.

Bethesda's games are weird like that

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The average in Skyrim was no doubt higher than rushing the story 26 hours or less. That game was a phenom time-sink to many.

Yep, all these "our game has 500 hours of content" games are actually just 15~20 at max if you're doing the critical path, but if you're doing side content or radiant shit, you may as well spend an eternity in them.

NonPhixion

Quite sure he didn’t understand what he was responding too. As posting the average main quest runtime seems daf.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yep, all these "our game has 500 hours of content" games are actually just 15~20 at max if you're doing the critical path, but if you're doing side content or radiant shit, you may as well spend an eternity in them.
Or my dumb ass putting the controller down for long periods of time while the game is still running as a shower, cook, look something up, eat, etc., racking up 80+ hours in single-player story driven games :pie_roffles:

And I'm sure lots of people do this. I don't have 1400+ hours in RDR2 from "constant playtime."

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
My favorite metric is the number of Fallout/Skyrim/Oblivion fan Youtubers lamenting Bethesda's fall from grace.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I simply believe none of those numbers. Like at all.

Also, massive DOUBT on that 40 hour average.

nintendo-reggie.gif

It's a massive RPG, high play times are to be expected.

Atrus

Gold Member
These aren’t really meaningful statistics.

I’ve got over 250 hours and counting in it myself but that’s not an indicator of value, quality of content or an indicator of the active community.

The game’s poor game design effectively wastes hours at a time.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I find that unlikely, median playtime maybe, but you will have too many people that played under 10 minutes to get that average.
It's literally the number of hours played divided by players. It is an amazing statistic. I think I played about 8 hours before uninstalling. 13 million players averaging 40 hours each is about as impressive as an engagement statistic gets.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm done with this one for a long while and by that time maybe it will be sun 10USD and have some decent community mods.

Just makes me look forward to the main course In a game like Squadron 42.

soulbait

Median is likely 2-10 hours or so, average is being inflated by whales. Also I think people played longer than a lot of games as it’s Bethesda’s first new IP since forever ago and the game dives right in to the gameplay so it’s not until you get to New Atlantis that the game starts feeling off. Also probably inflated by leaving console on unless they are not counting time spent in menus.

On Xbox, why would you think a lot of people just leave the game running in the background? Xbox has quick resume which starts up the game in seconds with no need to keep it running. This just makes no sense.

I am not sure how Xbox calculates playtime, but from what I have seen, it does not track time when you exit the game to the home screen and then back again or anything like that.

And where the hell are you getting your median from, besides just pulling it out of your ass?

Godot25

Banned
So many players just turning on the game and then never playing it again just to be included in 13 million count...

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

soulbait

Roughly 12% of the players got to the point of becoming Starborn.
I have 120+ or 150+ hours right now (I forget the number) and I am not Starborn yet. So this does not really mean anything.

I have approached this game like I did in Skyrim, first doing all of the faction quests and majority of side material before really focusing on the main quest. I have all the factions and companion quests done, and wrapping up the main quests now.

I should be starborn by Christmas LOL.

DrFigs

I just flat out don't believe the 40 hour number. maybe if they discount people who played less than 10 mins or something like that. i think there's a reasonable way to get there without fudging numbers too much, but with it being on gamepass, it's just hard to believe.

SJRB

Gold Member
So you don't know what it means or how it's calculated but you also massively DOUBT it.

League Of Legends Lol GIF by BIGCLAN

5HO.gif

My point is that "playtime" is a weird and questionable metric, and 40 hours average per player sounds questionable. Look at the Steam achievements. Only 27% joined Ryujin. Only 31% joined the Crimson Fleet. Only 34% joined the Freestar Rangers. These are all basic entry-level quests you reach way before the 40 hour playtime mark.

25% never even reached level 5.

The numbers aint numbering.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sales? we dont have any data on sales to even talk about it.

We do because we saw how the game performed after the first month. The sales dropped hard.

Players? 13m in like 2 months is pretty good

I'm sure people who hyped up Starfield as the game of the generation didn't expect Forza Horizon 5 to reach 15 million players faster than Starfield.

Critical expectations? yeah, true

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
These aren’t really meaningful statistics.

I’ve got over 250 hours and counting in it myself but that’s not an indicator of value, quality of content or an indicator of the active community.

The game’s poor game design effectively wastes hours at a time.
Like, how do you even say something like this with 250 whole ass hours invested in a game?? Just weird to me. I've never put more than ten hours max in all my time gaming in a game I wasnt enjoying -- if that. Like, when did you suddenly realize that you didnt enjoy the game? Put a clock on it for me... genuine question

NickFire

Or my dumb ass putting the controller down for long periods of time while the game is still running as a shower, cook, look something up, eat, etc., racking up 80+ hours in single-player story driven games :pie_roffles:

And I'm sure lots of people do this. I don't have 1400+ hours in RDR2 from "constant playtime."
I fall asleep while playing all the time. And until the game logs out, it counts the sleep time as in game time.

That aside, 13 million players is great if that's how success is measured now. Feels like smoke and mirrors to me, but if money is no object then I can understand the pivot away from more traditional metrics I suppose.

BigLee74

Cold hard facts are layed down by the devs, and the haters still doubt and seethe.

You don’t need to believe it guys, you can just jog on by without letting Starfield live in your head.

QoL changes sounds interesting - especially new modes of transport (please please to speed up planet exploration).

Will certainly be up for a replay a year or so down the line.

Chukhopops

I'm giving this game another chance tomorrow gonna start frpm the begging
I would wait until beginning of next year when the first major patch will drop.

Also this thread is amazing, so far we have:
- numbers are wrong;
- it has high playing time because it wastes your time;
- the average fumbles the calculations, it’s basically 99% players with 1 hour played and 1% with a cumulated playtime of 534.8M hours;
- it counts the time that you fell asleep while playing;
- people played a lot because the game takes time to be bad;
- it counts the time that the console was on sleep mode;

Please keep them coming!

Punished Miku

Gold Member

- numbers are wrong;
- the average fumbles the calculations, it’s basically 99% players with 1 hour played and 1% with a cumulated playtime of 534.8M hours;

Please keep them coming!
Its not like its even sales or money. Just the fact that people didnt instantly hate it and shut it off lol.

Jayjayhd34

- numbers are wrong;

Please keep them coming!
Thank you I'll try and get back alan wake but finding the subway part bit frustrating

It's mot really 40 hours per player some could of played for hour then some could played for hunddred hours

Last edited:
Top Bottom