• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soo many Street Fighter II Clones!

Jaeger

Oh man. There are so many. Of course we had the well known games, but so many went totally under the radar. At least my radar. I just love finding stuff like this. So interesting! So;

Martial Champion (Konami, 1993) is one I never heard of until recently. It's interesting, with obvious copies of various Street Fighter tropes that were being established at the time. I mean, it doesn't look to bring anything new to the table but some of the characters are interesting, like Chaos the Chinese vampire (a whole year before Darkstalkers' Hisen-Ko)!

Then you have games like Kaiser Knuckle (Taito 1994) which has very detailed spritework, wonderful parallax scrolling, and some scaling effects. Stages that actually take damage and stay until the match ends, and walls that break away. Shits crazy. And the soundtrack is pretty great, too. How this went under my radar for so long, I don't know. One of the bosses looks like one of the Pillar Men from the JoJo series, right down to his versus screen pose and movelist.

There's others worth mentioning. Monster Maulers (which seems to have been the inspiration for Warzard/Red Earth), Dragoon Might. Etc.

De-mon

I remember Body Blows.

4.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

stn

In terms of playing like SF2, Breaker's Revenge and Fighter's History both play just like it. There are quite a few more out there, yeah.

Piccoro

Yeah, I was a teen during the SFII boom, and there were dozens of SF clones.
The only good ones were the SNK games.

playXray

yeah I used to love Body Blows, and the weird sequel Body Blows Galactic - not sure how they'd hold up now though! Pretty sure the only reason I loved them was that there were no decent ports of the SF games on the Amiga at the time.

Hasney

yeah I used to love Body Blows, and the weird sequel Body Blows Galactic - not sure how they'd hold up now though! Pretty sure the only reason I loved them was that there were no decent ports of the SF games on the Amiga at the time.

Ultimate Body Blows was great too, combing both games However it was only on the CD32 and DOS, so it's remembered less.

EDIT: Just reminded me of Team 17's first fighting game though... It wasn't great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Nj5dXzsGA

Jimrpg

Sango Fighter rocked. Screw the haters.

That's the one I thought of. :) but I only played the shareware version. I wonder if it's freeware now wouldn't mind giving it a go.

One Must fall 2097 was amazing. I bought the full game and it did not disappoint. Sequel sucked ass.

Rise of the robots was horrible.

Are we counting all the snk fighters, like world heroes, art of fighting, samurai showdown and fatal fury?

Ultimate Body Blows was great too, combing both games However it was only on the CD32 and DOS, so it's remembered less.

EDIT: Just reminded me of Team 17's first fighting game though... It wasn't great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Nj5dXzsGA

That game has a pretty awesome intro though, to bad the actual game looks really bad.

Are we counting all the snk fighters, like world heroes, art of fighting, samurai showdown and fatal fury?

Does Fatal Fury count though? It was kind of in development at the same time as SFII and was meant to be a spiritual successor to Street Figher I, oddly. I think Samurai Showdown is different enough to stand out on its own too, it was a weapon based fighter.

And what about Waku Waku 7? Does that one count as well> It was made by Sunsoft for the Neo Geo hardware. I kinda liked that one.

Also this subjects just reminds me of how many Mortal Kombat clones there were back in the day too... and how many of those clones were terrible.

Fatal Fury is not a Street Fighter II clone. They both came out within months from each other.
The same guy who made the first Street Fighter also made Fatal Fury when he left Capcom and joined SNK.
Fatal Fury is basically basically what Street Fighter would have evolved to, had the guy been with Capcom instead of heading off to SNK.

fethebox

Neo Member
Real big 2d fighting game player here:

Most of them were badly put together and broken. There were a couple good ones in that era though, Breakers Revenge and TMNT Tournament Fighter were dope. Oh and of course SNK dropped some CLASSICS, but like they are to this day they are very hit and miss I don't consider SNK SF clones though.

Renekton

Only World Heroes seem like a clone, the rest got their unique twists.

Real big 2d fighting game player here:

Most of them were badly put together and broken. There were a couple good ones in that era though, Breakers Revenge and TMNT Tournament Fighter were dope. Oh and of course SNK dropped some CLASSICS, but like they are to this day they are very hit and miss I don't consider SNK SF clones though.
Power drill! Chest buster!

Here's a pretty obscure one of the SNES; Power Moves by Kaneko
There's another for the SNES but I can't remember the name. It had a senior asian lady as one of the characters. She could become large/powerful, similar to the old guy in Fatal Fury.

Celine

Here's a pretty obscure one of the SNES; Power Moves by Kaneko
There's another for the SNES but I can't remember the name. It had a senior asian lady as one of the characters. She could become large/powerful, similar to the old guy in Fatal Fury.
Power Instinct?

Celine

Only World Heroes seem like a clone, the rest got their unique twists.
World Heroes twist (outside of the historic and whacky characters) was the deathmatch that is arenas with hazards.

It's a fun series with last episode (Perfect) which changed the combat engine and it's regarded as an hidden gem by some.

vio

Biggest problem with Body Blows games was lack of moves. Gameplay was just too simple because of that. Music and sound were great (on amiga).

Its been a long time since I played it but it wasn't a bad game at all.

Might have to see if my copy is still around somewhere and still working.

Oh no, it was a very bad game. There just wasn't much competition. I bought a copy to play it on Amiga again, and it's pretty much unplayable dung. There's like four moves per character.

Shadow Fighter, a late Gremlin game for Amiga, was much better but still pretty lacking. Then there's Elfmania by Terramarque (now Housemarque) to complete the collection of horrible Amiga SF2 clones. Oh wait, there's Dangerous Streets too...

Body Blows Galactic was awesome.

But the problem with Amiga fighting games, was that you always had to swap discs between each fight for some reason (Same with Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II)

zugu

Banned
Oh, man, I have nothing but great memories for Martial Champions. I played that shit daily in the arcade. Goldor is overpowered, and Racheal is hot! :D

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
In terms of playing like SF2, Breaker's Revenge and Fighter's History both play just like it. There are quite a few more out there, yeah.

NOPE, and I'm still playing that online daily on ggpo

wiki.shoryuken.com/Breakers_Revenge So many differences. Don't get me wrong it's still similar to Street Fighter in some stuff though but when you learn it and start playing it competitive it's just a whole different game(compared to other blatant clones that try and mimic everything). It reminds me of what I wanted SF4 to play like.

Also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvFHyc4JfEk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mBQAM9Psb0

This is Power Moves
Power_Moves_SNES_Screot2.jpg

This is Power Instinct
power_instinct_06g

I put on the list Dead Dance
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2bkmY7nv5Zw/0.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]

Pretty sure Dead Dance came out in the US as [QUOTE]Hey Punk are you TUFF E NUFF[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/208947-top-25-best-and-worst-snes-boxart/Tuff%20E%20Nuff%20(USA)-noscale.jpg

Neff

It seems so strange to consider it now, but after SFII rocked the world and for several years afterwards, releasing a fighting game was a pretty much guaranteed way to make money. It was one of the most dominant genres from the early to mid '90s, and everyone had a go at making one.

Castef

Banned
Not taking the whole SNK/ADK family into account, the Street Fighter II clones I most appreciated back at the time were:

Fighter's History (expecially the semi-sequel Dynamite)
fh-s1.jpg

Fightin' Spirits
fightinspirita.png

The Double Dragon 1VS1 beat'em up
103689-double-dragon-neo-geo-screenshot-jimmy-s-uppercuts.gif

lazygecko

I LOVED Eternal Champions, brilliant game back in the day.

I think it has aged better than a lot of other SF2 clones. Both in gameplay and visuals. It might even be the most visually impressive 16-bit fighter. I think it owes a lot to being developed natively for the hardware instead of being a gimped arcade port. And Xavier is probably one of my favorite fighting game characters in concept and design.

Castef

Banned
Seconded, I played that game so much. Great mechanics, combos, fatalities, loads of secrets, a decent tournament mode, and a nice leveling/upgrade aspect.

Now that you cited robots, I feel morally obliged to add Rise of the Robots 2: Resurrection.

Note: the first one was an HORRIBLE game. Good graphics and... that's all I can say about it.

Rise of the Robots 2 was a completely different story, though.

18 different robots, nice special moves, bosses, secret characters, revamped fighitng system (more arcadey), 6-button layout, ability to perform combos...

All in all a very solid fighter, in part ruined by the fame of his predecessor.

41455-RiseoftheRobots2.jpg

Rise_2_Resurrection_DOS_02.png

Have a look at this video too.

danmaku

Biggest problem with Body Blows games was lack of moves. Gameplay was just too simple because of that. Music and sound were great (on amiga).

Iirc the main problem with Amiga fighting games was the standard joystick only having one button. There were 2 button joysticks and pads, but not everyone had them, so developers had to work with that absurd limit.

Another obscure fighter from the 90s was Shadow Fighter:

Shadow_Fighter-3.png

it's the first game I can remember made 100% in Italy (by a team of... 3 guys) that was actually published by an international company (Gremlin Interactive), and it was also pretty good.

Also:

FX Fighter

969-1.png

first 3D fighter on PC? can't remember if VF1 was ported before or after that.

Pray For Death

pray_005.png

a clone of Killer Instinct, and it sucked just like the original.

Top Bottom