• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soo many Street Fighter II Clones!

Some of the worst: Dragon The Bruce Lee Story (multiple platforms), Twin Goddesses (Playstation), Battle Monsters (Saturn), Survival Arts (arcade), and the unreleased Tattoo Assassins (arcade).

Krejlooc

Banned
How is it?
passable?

It's unremarkable but not broken or anything. Like I said, a lot of people were very upset because they were hoping for a port of revenge of death adder instead.

Some of the worst: Dragon The Bruce Lee Story (multiple platforms)

I wouldn't really call this a fighting game. It kinda shares some fighting game mechanics, but really its more like a weird beat 'em up than anything else. Its closest comparison would be either Mortal Kombat Mythologies, or IK+. I found the game decent if you played it like IK+ more than a traditional fighter. The 2-player co-op mode was also pretty neat, if nonsensical.

Business

The Double Dragon 1VS1 beat'em up
103689-double-dragon-neo-geo-screenshot-jimmy-s-uppercuts.gif

Came to post this one, I have fond memories of it.

Celine

Fightin' Spirits
fightinspirita.png

Iirc the main problem with Amiga fighting games was the standard joystick only having one button. There were 2 button joysticks and pads, but not everyone had them, so developers had to work with that absurd limit.

Another obscure fighter from the 90s was Shadow Fighter:

Shadow_Fighter-3.png

it's the first game I can remember made 100% in Italy (by a team of... 3 guys) that was actually published by an international company (Gremlin Interactive), and it was also pretty good.
Italian pride.

I think the first italian-made game published by an international company is Super Loopz, released in japan by Imagineer for the Super Famicom which was coded by Grafitti who would later rename itself in Milestone (Screamer, Super Bike and now WRC).

It's unremarkable but not broken or anything. Like I said, a lot of people were very upset because they were hoping for a port of revenge of death adder instead.
Oh yeah still unbelievable Sega never ported that game or included it in a compilation.
Same for The outfoxies by Namco.

Krejlooc

Banned
Italian pride.

I think the first italian-made game published by an international company is Super Loopz, released in japan by Imagineer for the Super Famicom which was coded by Grafitti who would later rename itself in Milestone (Screamer, Super Bike and now WRC).

Wasn't Black Viper also an italian made game? I liked that studio and publisher, shame they didn't make more stuff.

Oh yeah still unbelievable Sega never ported that game or included it in a compilation.
Same for The outfoxies by Namco.

I got the actual arcade board :)

Also have the STV cart for Golden Axe: The Duel, actually. And the saturn port.

galvatron

MARTMAST--Martial%20Masters%20ver%20104%20102%20102US_Apr4%2020_22_15.png

Martial Masters is a good one.

It was a really good game, but I'm kinda loathe to call it a SF 2 clone due to it having innovative features and its release being way after SF2. The "time slip"-style EX moves where a shadow version of your fighter does a pre-determined string depending on how you canceled into it seemed to open up strategies unique enough to just consider this an original fighting game. We must call it a clone, it was an SF Alpha 2 clone.

My favorite SF2 clone from the 90s fighting game era that wasn't mentioned was World Heroes Perfect, which also did too many new things well to call it a clone.

cs060mk2

Breakers is great, got an MVS just for it.

And Fighting Spirit on the Amiga is interesting, they stole a lot of graphics and inspiration from Neo Geo fighters.

Celine

Speaking of SF2 clones, Kabuki Ittoryoudan is a pretty good one although not much balanced.
It sports some of the best animation on PC Engine (in fact the Arcade Card was required).

itto2.png

I played the hell out of this when I was a kid:

EternalChampionsBox.jpg

Well, until I bought Super Street Fighter II :)

It was pretty amusing back in the day, though Eternal Champions on the Sega CD was a slightly better game. I would say that Eternal Champions was a half way cross between Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Heh, gameplay-Wise, MK2 was excellent.
Yeah, you are right.

Italian pride.

Not a fighting game, but First Samurai IIRC was made by an Italian, it's one of my favorite games ever.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Some of the worst: Dragon The Bruce Lee Story (multiple platforms), Twin Goddesses (Playstation), Battle Monsters (Saturn), Survival Arts (arcade), and the unreleased Tattoo Assassins (arcade).

I had completely forgotten about battle monsters.

Jaeger

Seriously, Dragon Master is utter shit. And all the characters are badly edited Street Fighter II characters. Everyone shares Chun-li, Ryu, and Guile's sprites, I shit you not.

Krejlooc

Banned
Absolutely loved everything about this game. The characters were so well developed and well differentiated from one another. The art style was also awesome.

My favorite character is in the sega cd version, the senator. I loved his "CITIZEN" taunt and his stage was awesome, as was the stage fatality (where you were impaled on the washington monument due to an exploding manhole sending you in the air).

Dicer

Banned
Speaking of SF2 clones, Kabuki Ittoryoudan is a pretty good one although not much balanced.
It sports some of the best animation on PC Engine (in fact the Arcade Card was required).

itto2.png

Came to mention this...

Flash Hiders is decent as well...

Sàmban;118312388 said:
This. Breakers Revenge shits on street fighter from great heights. YES INCLUDING THIRD STRIKE AND SF4 ver. whatever.

Come at me fighting GAF.

You're more than right. Breakers is fucking amazing, under appreciated gem with glorious sprites and the feel of the game is so good.

It is fun to look at the Street Fighter clones like it was fun to look at GTA III clones. Anyone else remember True Crime?
Anyways, Martial Masters is a legit good clone. I would suggest playing it.

There's others worth mentioning. Monster Maulers (which seems to have been the inspiration for Warzard/Red Earth),

Wow, this one's pretty cool. I love how incredibly arcade that opening is, and the game looks creative and neat, it's just a shame it's only 1-on-1 (or 2-on-1) fight until the last stage, it could've done with more Final Fight-esque stages mixed in.

I swear the first fight song that plays is way too close to "Honey Flash" sung by a guy, though.

OK, Korean fighting game Dragon Master takes the cake for most blatant SF2 rip-off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjkqwOkcBUY

That ending, that's something special.

OmegaDL50

Seriously, Dragon Master is utter shit. And all the characters are badly edited Street Fighter II characters. Everyone shares Chun-li, Ryu, and Guile's sprites, I shit you not.

My god the video linked above. The first stage is literally an edited Balrog stage. The Intro with the guy being punched in the face is also pretty blatant as well.

Holy Shit, watching that was terrible.

Jaeger

We can really organize these games into two types of categories. We had outright clones of Street Fighter II, that simply tried to cash in on the popularity of SFII, without any effort to blasphemous levels like whomever over in Korea made Dragon Warrior, are didn't even use their own assets. Then we had companies that were pretty much on the same path as Capcom, and had stuff that was setting their own trail, adding new stuff to the formula and were of decent to outstanding quality, like SNK and Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, etc.

One of my favorite secret gems was Galaxy Fight: Universal Warriors from Sunsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7HulRF-wg Beautiful.
xlYxDMdo.png

JV8g6Ax6.gif

My waifu.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
We can really organize these games into two types of categories. We had outright clones of Street Fighter II, that simply tried to cash in on the popularity of SFII, without any effort to blasphemous levels like whomever over in Korea made Dragon Warrior, are didn't even use their own assets. Then we had companies that were pretty much on the same path as Capcom, and had stuff that was setting their own trail, adding new stuff to the formula and were of decent to outstanding quality, like SNK and Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, etc.

One of my favorite secret gems was Galaxy Fight: Universal Warriors from Sunsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7HulRF-wg Beautiful.
xlYxDMdo.png

JV8g6Ax6.gif

My waifu.

Yeah Waku Waku 7 was dope too, but I feel like at that point, you're right, they weren't street fighter clones.

256605-waku-waku-7-neo-geo-screenshot-politank-z-walks-in-direction.png

lazygecko

My favorite character is in the sega cd version, the senator. I loved his "CITIZEN" taunt and his stage was awesome, as was the stage fatality (where you were impaled on the washington monument due to an exploding manhole sending you in the air).

And he threw red tape at people.

I loved them all at the time which is strange because I have very little interest in fighting games today. They feel like they belonged to the arcade generation. I don't get enjoyment out of them unless I'm playing someone in person.

That said, I think World Heroes was probably the best clone. I was really happy when it came out on the SNES.

905306-935715_20081001_002.jpg

Looking at that picture makes me laugh how much of a copycat the game ended up being.

Ryu - Fei Long - Dhalsim - Bison - Vega - Chun Li - Blanka
Ken - Honda - Cammy - Zangief - ??? - Sagat - Balrog

That's a blast from the past, I remember playing the shit out of World Heroes.

The SF2 clones were definitely by and large better than the MK clones, though the MK clones usually have a nearly unparalleled level in the history of arcade games of cheese and poor taste to them.

Personally, I rather like The Karate Tournament by Mitchell (which was staffed by a lot of quote-unquote "Capcom misfits"):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9-UhjJH0CA

My understanding is that it follows karate rules on a fairly traditional basis and thus feels pretty dissimilar to the average SF2 clone. The frequent use of motion blur in the sprite work is also pretty interesting and unique to see in action.

Most people probably already heard of the more infamous ones like Kasumi Ninja and Tattoo Assassins. But recently I was also introduced to a more obscure one called Survival Arts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCzJ1ce06T0

Survival Arts is ridiculous, hilarious, and profoundly bad and broken. It was developed by Scarab, which is now feelplus, which shared development duties with Mistwalker on Lost Odyssey, and was published by Sammy, which, as all y'all may recall, succeeded with a hostile takeover of Sega somewhere about halfway between when Sega stopped making hardware, and when about half of Sega's most important creative staff quit.

If you think EC aged well, definitely check out it's much improved sequel on the Sega CD. It's to EC, what Super Street Fighter 2 was to SF2. So many more moves, fatalities, combos, and characters. Like 34 characters in the game. Really good for the time.

In what other fighting game can you have matches with an owl versus a senator?
Probably MUGEN

Fuz

Banned
Reading this thread, I think I played them all.

Ultimate Body Blows was great too, combing both games However it was only on the CD32 and DOS, so it's remembered less.

EDIT: Just reminded me of Team 17's first fighting game though... It wasn't great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Nj5dXzsGA

It was a shameless clone of Ye Ar Kung Fu (which I loved, by the way).

Edit:
Maybe you're thinking of Yie Ar Kung Fu. That Team17 game is a pretty obvious clone of that game.
Damn, you beat me.

Top Bottom