• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix is bringing back instrument-based music games to new consoles

CaVaYeRo

From the music genre thread:

Alex Rigopulos confirms they're bringing back the instruments/Rock Band experience to new consoles.

He was at Gamelab Barcelona, we interviewed him. He comments Fantasia: Music Evolved differences between both Kinects, "this is not Fantasia" comments and Dance Central Spotlight digital-only, "low price point" offer, but then he talks plastic instruments and whatnot.

They're just waiting for the right time with the new consoles.

Also says it's Harmonix responsibility to make exciting enough games for people to buy peripherals, now Kinect-less Xbox One exists.

"I play more casual unless I'm drunk. Then I try to get more fancy" - love it :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Harmonix, please make a good Hip Hop game, or at least include a Hip Hop mode in a new Rock Band game... I want hip hop DLC and karaoke like you did for every other genre.

This has been known since April.

Link.

I'll buy it whenever they decide to put it out. Doesn't sound like it's going to be any time soon, though. Hopefully Harmonix doesn't implode before they actually get around to Rock Band.

Z_Y

I think they have to somehow make our existing libraries backwards compatible. I've got hundreds of dollars sunk in RB DLC. I'm not starting over.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Harmonix, please make a good Hip Hop game, or at least include a Hip Hop mode in a new Rock Band game... I want hip hop DLC and karaoke like you did for every other genre.

You can always play dance central.

Anyways as a Harmonix diehard, I'm surprised they have the resources for this. Regardless, I will still buy anything they put out day 1.

tsab

we need charting for lead and rhythm guitars next time and I wouldn't mind an additional instrument (a cowbell? lol)

I was JUST browsing ebay for cheap RB3 instruments (and found none) and was thinking that I really want a new Rock Band on the three current gen consoles.

woolley

I hope they do something like DJ hero. I really liked it but I'm sure there's a lot of stuff that could be done better with that kind of game.

jond76

Banned
I think they have to somehow make our existing libraries backwards compatible. I've got hundreds of dollars sunk in RB DLC. I'm not starting over.

If Dance Central Spotlight is any indication, I'd say its possible.

Thrak360

Neo Member
That would be the dream, from a player's standpoint. But I imagine that would take a significant effort to try and re-license all the songs. I mean, that's what happened with the different Rock Band iterations. Songs from RB1 were re-licensed for RB2, and some were lost in the process. Same with RB2 to RB3, etc.

Wynnebeck

Banned

This is the major crux. I have hundreds of dollars invested into the PS3 version of the game and is honestly one of the biggest reasons I haven't sold my PS3 since getting my PS4. I love the series greatly, but I'm not buying the same songs over again.

Ramza

Banned
I'll buy a PS4 Rock Band only if I can use my existing instruments and can use my existing DLC. Fuck buying all of that shit again.

It wont be anytime soon, if at all. That right time may never happen. According to what multiple Harmonix employees said on twotter and the Rock Band forms after this was mentioned.

muteki

Song list would have to be impeccable to get me to buy another one. No holding back. Pony up the $texas for those song licenses.

I bought tons of band-games last gen but get enough of my rhythm game fix now with portable ones that don't need extra accessories and are easy to pick up and play.

Radec

rocksmith did used an real guitar model ?

rocksmith69.jpg

BigDug13

Good. I hope it takes off. Not because I'm going to make the switch from RB3, I have too many peripherals already to switch (including the Squier for 360), but it better ensures that Microsoft keeps my DLC purchases as downloadable for longer in case my 360 dies.

Atomski

Rockband could be one of the only things that actually makes me want to buy a console ever again.. (or even better make a PC version this time Harmonix.. then I can continue not having to get a console)

mclem

Harmonix need to swallow their pride and make a pure dad-rock guitar game. It'd go down like a bomb with my Dad, at least :)

Zomba13

That would be the dream, from a player's standpoint. But I imagine that would take a significant effort to try and re-license all the songs. I mean, that's what happened with the different Rock Band iterations. Songs from RB1 were re-licensed for RB2, and some were lost in the process. Same with RB2 to RB3, etc.

Yeah, and there were a lot that were removed from the Rock Band Network due to licenses expiring and them not renewing them or something right?

I doubt we could import previous tracks into the new gen.

As I understand it, songs licensed on-disc would need to be re-licensed, but DLC was licensed for "the Rock Band platform" so it was automatically compatible with new iterations of the series. Not counting songs whose licenses have expired, I'm sure any new Rock Band game would be able to use DLC from last gen. Same with Dance Central.

I would very much like them to relicense on-disc songs though, for both series.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Seems like a pretty risky financial move.

Activision lost a lot of dollars on GH:WT didn't they?

I know Rockband was really hot about 5 years ago, but most of my non-gaming friends stopped having or going to Rockband parties at least 3-4 years back.

Dinosur

I know Rockband was really hot about 5 years ago, but most of my non-gaming friends stopped having or going to Rockband parties at least 3-4 years back.

I just had a Rock Band party last weekend.

...I was the only person who showed up. =/

They haven't released a new instrument Rock Band game in almost 4 years, so that makes sense. Rock Band 3 was great, but how long can you really expect people to play the same game? I have thousands of songs, but I haven't had the urge to play it in a long time.

Ridley327

They did. It's something of an open secret that GH:WT was ridiculously expensive, thanks to the deals they made with the bigger artists and the low margins they had for the added instruments. I will always maintain that GH died faster than it needed to when they decided to copy RB's setup when there was really no call to do so, especially with how much better GH3 sold than RB1.

prag16

Banned
I'd buy a Wii U Rock Band if I could use my Wii Guitar Hero instruments with it. I also have a lot of songs purchased, but I'm probably shit out of luck with those; doubt there would be a way to carry those over.

Yep, and in a couple of years a new generation of teenagers will be ripe for a game genre they missed out on.

IISANDERII

For sure. If they get a large portion of all Rock Band Dlc included in the game, then that would be good too.

Dinosur

They did. It's something of an open secret that GH:WT was ridiculously expensive, thanks to the deals they made with the bigger artists and the low margins they had for the added instruments. I will always maintain that GH died faster than it needed to when they decided to copy RB's setup when there was really no call to do so, especially with how much better GH3 sold than RB1.

It was crazy how fast they changed GH4 into WT also. It really felt like it only took ~3 months to shoehorn in the full band "experience" and have the giant boxes sitting on store floors.

Duxxy3

I'd probably wait until next gen hits 20m sold before starting this up (2015). Unless they want to go with cross gen.

Mainstream audience has moved on from rhythm games now.

Harmonix and Activision bled that well dry.

And it sucks, because Guitar Hero 3 was great, but the band shit was too much

I guess they didn't have much choice if they wanted to stay in business. With the removal of mandatory Kinect, the writing was starting to appear on the wall for them, unfortunately.

Either way, I could buy the instruments again if they were a step up (and I could find someone who would take my old sets) but I don't think I'd sink all the money in the DLC again like I did previously unless there was an upgrade program in place. 800+ DLC songs...crazy.

For those who watched the whole video, does it sound to anyone else like Alex is specifically referencing Chroma in that last bit?

Top Bottom