• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix is bringing back instrument-based music games to new consoles

I'll believe it when I see it. And it's not that I don't trust Harmonix, it's that I don't see how it makes any financial sense. Music licensing has always been an awful crapshoot. The market has already collapsed once, making it less likely that bands will sign on and customers will buy in, never mind that people will probably have to buy new instruments if they already got rid of their original sets. I just can't see a big market for a Rock Band revival as is, without a fundamental reinvention of the genre that somehow convinces everyone to hop back on board the bandwagon.

WoolyNinja

I'd be happy with just a PS4 port of Rock Band 3 for $40. The instruments on the PS3 are USB so I don't see why they wouldn't work.

I'd be happy with just a PS4 port of Rock Band 3 for $40. The instruments on the PS3 are USB so I don't see why they wouldn't work.
Agreed, I don't really care about the graphics one bit, and they more or less nailed the interface with RB3.

There's probably no way that the libraries we've amassed would transfer though (licensing & tech issues), so that makes it much less attractive of a proposition.

I'd buy RB for PS4, though, no doubt. Probably my favorite game of all time.

cakely

I think they have to somehow make our existing libraries backwards compatible. I've got hundreds of dollars sunk in RB DLC. I'm not starting over.

I really don't see the "Rock Band experience" made better by next-gen graphics, so I'll just keep playing on my Xbox 360, where I own all the songs, and the gear.

You know, I actually fancy a bit of GH/RB again. Been a few years since I played it but it all got so saturated back in the day.

etrain911

Please bring back the Beatles Rock Band. It's easily in my top 3 games of all time. Or create a Spotify-style subscription service for Rock Band where you can pick any song from a catalog for X amount per month or buy them piecemeal. That would be amazing.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
time to spend another fuckton of money on new rockband instruments and songs :D

If they bring Rock Band over the same way they're doing Dance Central (where your library carries over) I will be so happy. Pretty much the only reason I'll be holding on to my 360 for the foreseeable future.

zulux21

I'll buy a PS4 Rock Band only if I can use my existing instruments and can use my existing DLC. Fuck buying all of that shit again.

my instruments are a must... my DLC is only a must if they want me to buy it at release.... i have nearly 1k songs in rock band 3... not something I would want to get away from, but i would totally be down for paying $20 for some rock band on ps4... especially if it contained an imagine dragons song or two :p

but no way I am investing all that money into new dlc and new instruments.

I do wonder if they do manage to bring over dlc if there will be any way to get your xbox 360 songs to transfer to the ps4.

Xeroblade

Hopefully when RB4 comes out we dont have Activision following suit and start pumping out endless guitar heroes like before.

my instruments are a must... my DLC is only a must if they want me to buy it at release.... i have nearly 1k songs in rock band 3... not something I would want to get away from, but i would totally be down for paying $20 for some rock band on ps4... especially if it contained an imagine dragons song or two :p

but no way I am investing all that money into new dlc and new instruments.

I do wonder if they do manage to bring over dlc if there will be any way to get your xbox 360 songs to transfer to the ps4.

I wouldn't count on it. Pretty sure the way it will work for Dance Central is for the store to just check your account history which obviously wouldn't be possible cross-platform.

zulux21

I wouldn't count on it. Pretty sure the way it will work for Dance Central is for the store to just check your account history which obviously wouldn't be possible cross-platform.

that's what I imagine as well....
heck I half expect that if they do allow dlc to be brought over it will be xbox 360 to xbox one only given how the rock band network went down :/

that's what I imagine as well....
heck I half expect that if they do allow dlc to be brought over it will be xbox 360 to xbox one only given how the rock band network went down :/

Nah, I don't see why they couldn't do PS3 to PS4. RBN was a special case where Microsoft already had the system in place (XNA) to make that work and Harmonix was able to piggyback on it. Building and maintaining the entirety of that on their own would have been a nightmare for a company that size.

Noble

Neo Member
I hope when it comes back they're able to bring back the RBN in some fashion. We've still got over a hundred songs that were never released to the game that we've completed.

I highly doubt it, but it'd be nice if all that time and work wasn't wasted ;)

_woLf

The only way I will even consider buying Rock Band on new consoles is if my DLC carry over. Otherwise, this is dead in the water.

Gleethor

99% sure this will be subscription based beyond maybe 80ish songs on disc. People expecting DLC to carry forward will be disappointed, but maybe they can throw a few free months to people with lots of DLC purchased.

Noble

Neo Member
99% sure this will be subscription based beyond maybe 80ish songs on disc. People expecting DLC to carry forward will be disappointed, but maybe they can throw a few free months to people with lots of DLC purchased.

Yep. Much as I hate to admit it I don't see the DLC carrying over to new consoles.

Some of the music is already expiring (license wise), and getting removed from the music store.

Secondly, if none of the games, dlc, or arcade(PSN,XBL) titles work on the PS4 and One, I'm not sure exactly how people (in general) are expecting Rock Band DLC to be the one thing from previous consoles that works on the new ones.

Obscured

rocksmith did used an real guitar model ?

Rocksmith you can use any electric guitar. It is one thing I still save my 360 for, would love a new version for XB1 (although PC version is probably the way to go, I'm just less likely to use it there). If anything ever called out for motion or voice control of menus it was this. I really enjoyed it except for having to always pick up the controller while already holding a guitar.

On topic, I would be into a standalone (compact) drum peripheral for a new Rock Band. I wonder what a new iteration would look like.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I remember going to Best Buy and half the video game section being a massive pile of GH and RB boxes. Harmonix is so planted in the music genre, that I hope they know what they're doing bringing plastic back.

ViciousDS

Banned
I miss my rock band............owned a crap ton of songs of which I won't be able to use as I owned them on the 360 and are going the Sony/Nintendo/PC combo this generation due to money restraints on buying a ton of games.

I even helped GameStop with the midnight release of Rock Band 3 and brought all my songs and instruments for it back when I wasn't a gamers unlocked best buy member. Was so much fun playing Rock Band all day, loved drums.

edit: I would easily be willing to pay $10 a month of it gave me unlimited access to a huge library of downloadable songs as long as I remained subscribed. It would also solve a ton of issues with people not meeting people with certain songs during online play as they would ALL be available.

Harmonix, please make a good Hip Hop game, or at least include a Hip Hop mode in a new Rock Band game... I want hip hop DLC and karaoke like you did for every other genre.

As someone who worked on a hip hop karaoke game...this. Hopefully they'd have more clout in the music licensing department as well, so they can get way more tracks.

Plus, a hip-hop karaoke game has the benefit of not needing special peripherals, since any regular USB microphone should work...in theory.

Wynnebeck

Banned
As someone who worked on a hip hop karaoke game...this. Hopefully they'd have more clout in the music licensing department as well, so they can get way more tracks.

Plus, a hip-hop karaoke game has the benefit of not needing special peripherals, since any regular USB microphone should work...in theory.

Really, I remember there being this hip-hop karaoke game that had T.R.O.Y. and C.R.E.A.M. among other rap classics. I bought a lot of DLC for that game too lol.

YES!

futurama-fry-shut-up-and-take-my-money-high-quality.gif

If it's a new rock band then bugger that. I got over 2000 DLC songs on the 360 and it's unlikely they can bring all of that over to another console.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, there'd be my reason to buy an Xbone. Assuming my guitars, ~200 DLC songs and the MIDI-adaptor for my drumset will still be worth a damn.

Zen

Banned
As long as they make it a platform where song lists are updated on a store for you to purchase and your plastic instruments will always work. There should not be a ~here is Rock Band 2! Your old plastic wont work and songs are not transferable!~

Yep. Much as I hate to admit it I don't see the DLC carrying over to new consoles.

Some of the music is already expiring (license wise), and getting removed from the music store.

Secondly, if none of the games, dlc, or arcade(PSN,XBL) titles work on the PS4 and One, I'm not sure exactly how people (in general) are expecting Rock Band DLC to be the one thing from previous consoles that works on the new ones.

Normally I wouldn't, but that's what they're doing with Dance Central. That said, because a lot of the rights issues and letting them expire, I wouldn't expect EVERYTHING to make it over.

Can't wait for this.

It would be a big bummer if my 360 DLC songs don't transfer over to X1, but if they add Real guitar support like Rocksmith, all will be forgiven.

That's basically all I want, Rocksmith combined with Rockband, though that may be hard due to note visibility in multiplayer

Son Of D

I really don't see the "Rock Band experience" made better by next-gen graphics, so I'll just keep playing on my Xbox 360, where I own all the songs, and the gear.

I feel that if Rock Band does come to PS4/XB1/Wii U they'd also be trying to get new songs added as DLC else it would be pointless for the most part.

toa95

Am I the only one that would love for them to do something like DJ Hero? It's a shame that that game came out at the end of the music game hype. I think the series could have done really well if it wasn't for the fact that everyone was sick of those games.

MadHitz

Neo Member
This will work if the old peripherals are supported on the new systems. If I have no buy all new instruments....forget it.

Really, I remember there being this hip-hop karaoke game that had T.R.O.Y. and C.R.E.A.M. among other rap classics. I bought a lot of DLC for that game too lol.

probably Def Jam Rapstar, which is the game I'm referring to as well. Eventually, the publisher ran into legal trouble with it, got sued by EMI or something, and shut down. So all the online features and DLC are no longer accessible now :/

But man, I at least just want that same basic game, with a bigger publisher behind it that can negotiate better music deals and get a larger tracklisting.

Top Bottom