• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Wrestling is Fake, but Its Race Problem Isn't

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...al-bias-in-the-wwe-world-championship/374042/

Interesting read, and something I wish would change as well. Some choice bits:

Don't laugh: WWE has been trying to show some social consciousness lately. So why does it still insist on making its minority wrestlers into grill-wearing, thuggish B-listers?

Professional wrestling, everyone knows, is theater. Its finishes are predetermined, its storylines are scripted, and its characters are a product of a team of creative writers. But “fake” remains a dirty word in professional wrestling fandom. This is because professional wrestling, in many ways, isn’t fake. The performers are real people and wrestling is their job, and WWE is a real company that makes a lot of real money. No, Rusev and Lana aren’t actually out to prove Mother Russia’s dominance over the United States, but what they do is real in the same way that the individual plot of a film might not exist, but the film itself exists.

Because of this, to many fans, it’s the stories that play out backstage—in really real life—that are the true draw of professional wrestling. Although Rusev’s victory over Big E in a little more than three-and-a-half minutes at the June special event Payback may read as Russia defeating America in the fictional universe of WWE stories, the real-world narrative playing out is much more insidious.

“Fake” remains a dirty word in professional wrestling fandom. This is because professional wrestling, in many ways, isn’t fake.
Rusev has been squashing black wrestlers almost exclusively since his debut back in April. Before Big E, there was R-Truth, who comes down to the ring dancing and rapping; Kofi Kingston, a Jamaican whose accent mysteriously vanished a year or so after his debut; and Xavier Woods, a legitimate Ph.D. candidate when outside the ring, but a funk-loving dancing machine within it.

Fans online remarked in amusement at the coincidence, at first. Kingston, Truth, and Woods are perpetual losers called “jobbers,” meant to get beaten by whoever the WWE brass have decided to push that month. Before Payback, even Big E joked in a tweet that stopping Rusev might involve putting back together the Nation of Domination, a controversial black-power faction formed in WWE in the mid-‘90s. That tweet was quickly deleted, and perhaps in response, the next guy Rusev beat had a lot less melanin in his skin, a Jersey Shore-inspired jobber named Zack Ryder.

But Rusev quickly returned to form, beating Big E at Payback. Rumors recently surfaced online that Rusev’s next major opponent will be another black wrestler, the World’s Strongest Man, Mark Henry. But Big E and Mark Henry aren’t jobbers like Kingston, Truth, and Woods. Big E had his own heavy push in recent months, enjoying a lengthy run with WWE’s Intercontinental Championship, the second most prestigious belt in the company at the moment, and Mark Henry was at one point legitimately considered the strongest man in the world. He’s an Olympian who has been with WWE for over a decade and has enjoyed two reigns as “world champion.”

Those scare quotes need an explanation. Mark Henry has held world titles before, but never the world title, the WWE Championship. From March of 2002 until December of 2013, there were two world championships in the company, one for each brand of WWE programming, the flagship Monday Night Raw and the B-show Friday Night Smackdown. For a brief period, WWE operated a third brand, a relaunch of ‘90s grunge federation ECW, and there were three world championships in the company. However, not even in WWE’s nonsensical universe can there be three different people who are supposedly champion of the world, so a hierarchy of titles formed. Fans recognized that since Raw was the flagship show, whatever championship was defended on Raw was the real world championship.

Mark Henry held ECW’s world championship, and then Smackdown’s world championship. But despite having one of the most impressive resumes in WWE history, he has never won the top prize in WWE.

In the fictional WWE storylines, being the world champion means you are the best wrestler. But in real life, it means you are the best performer. The decision of who gets to be the titleholder simply comes from a team of creative writers with the final call going to WWE owner Vince McMahon himself: Who do we want to be the face of our company? Who do we think is good enough?

In its 62 year history, WWE has never chosen a black wrestler to hold its world championship.

That’s not Rusev’s fault, of course. He just showed up a few months ago, and the black wrestlers he’s effortlessly demolished during his short tenure are just a small fraction of all the talented black wrestlers who’ve never been entrusted to hold WWE’s most important big shiny belt. Rusev is just the flavor of the moment until proven otherwise, a guy in which WWE officials see potential, so they’re having him beat the rogues gallery of jobbers in order to bolster his credentials. Fans who jokingly ask why Rusev is beating up all the black dudes are missing the more pressing question: Why are so many of the black dudes jobbers?

MUCH more at the link. I highly recommend reading it.

Mark Henry deserves a world championship run. A real one. And many more.

Mark Henry is a super nice man so I have heard, but he can barely walk. He comes to the ring in sugar shoes and moves as slow as anybody....

I do agree that they need to have better stories/ gimmicks for some of the African American wrestlers...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Mark Henry is a super nice man so I have heard, but he can barely walk. He comes to the ring in sugar shoes and moves as slow as anybody....

I do agree that they need to have better stories/ gimmicks for some of the African American wrestlers...

He's still got gas in the tank! He ain't done!

mhs004

Because most people who watch wrestling, besides children, are rednecks. Got to fit you're target audience.

Jk wrestlegaf.....or am I

Cagey

Banned
The Rock is an ethnically ambiguous looking amalgamation / perfection of the homo sapien. Gaze upon him and feel bad for yourself.

Mark Henry deserves a world championship run. A real one. And many more.

8LcL6.gif

It's still hilarious (and sad) that Booker T didn't win that match with HHH at Wrestlemania.

The whole feud was a big racist joke which resulted in Booker being buried

Burai

shitonmychest57
I don't know if Mizzark even needs a championship run. He's over enough to be champion but, like Eddie Guerrero, I think the man is bigger than the belt and it would be a waste.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Those of you bringing up the Rock and not reading the rest of the article:

The only person of African descent ever named world champion was Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, a special case. Half Samoan and half African-Canadian, Johnson identifies as Samoan and comes from a line of famous wrestlers. As WWE's first third-generation fighter, he was allowed a narrative that reflected his specific family history, not the mere fact of his race.*

This guy:

g3ZNHkG.jpg

was fucking great. Should have been the champ! Same with The Junkyard Dog!
I still find myself doing the 'birdman' dance before getting in the shower.

kirblar

Don't they choose that by which characters the fans respond to?

So isn't it sports entertainment fans that determine this?
They've had a number of recruiting problems in the '00s that have led to the currently deficient roster. For a pretty long time, all they seemed to be interested in was white fitness models and ridiculously large black bodybuilders. They're definitely getting better in the HHH-era but still have a long way to go to rebuild.
I like Mark, but lets be honest... if anybody there neeeds or deserves a title run it would be Dolph Ziggler. He is one of the best wrestlers and easily the best seller they have.
"Not selfish enough" is the best way I've heard his issues summarized.

self-identifies as samoan and is a special case in many ways. WWE wishes it could just replicate whatever The Rock was.
Can you point me to where he said that? I've heard him say to not discount his Samoan heritage when calling him Black, but I've never heard him say he identifies a Samoan.

WWE has been trying to show some social consciousness lately. So why does it still insist on making its minority wrestlers into grill-wearing, thuggish B-listers?

This is a great question to ask, and the answer is that they don't think their percieved audience base is going to buy the product any other way, unless they want to put a SERIOUS amount of effort into it, and they probably don't think it's worth that effort.

Saying "But the Rock is black!" and focusing on that isn't really getting at the quoted question there - it's hard to deny a large majority of the black wrestlers in that company have been forced into rapping/dancing roles. Making such a sidelining even more funny is that the only real WWE star who's been allowed to break out of that narrow box - is Cena.

Bullshit wrestling racism stories 101. They'll trot out Junk Yard Dog stories from 40 fucking years ago to fit the narrative, and conveniently forget the respect shown to Ron Simmons as the first black WHC and also that The Rock, a person of colour is one of the top 3 greatest, most charismatic, and most beloved stars in the industry. B-b-b-but what about Virgil!?!? Give me a break.

Ithil

There's that pair of WWE Divas who're hispanic, I think. They're pretty cool and stuff.

Half the WWE Divas are hispanic, or black. Apart from the severe lack of Asians they don't have much of a diversity problem there. That division has many other actual problems, not relevant to the thread.

pa22word

Booker T and Mark Henry held the Smackdown version of the world title. People would use a bullshit 'not the real world title' logic to ignore that.

I don't think those people actually watched wrestling during the early-mid 2000s then, because the SD title was very much a legit title back when WWE still had the talent to support the brand split.

Vyroxis

Banned
wat

Pretty sure that's patently false.

Rock has been champion, pretty sure Henry has been as well. Rey Mysterio has held belts more than once. The tag team belts were recently on two samoans. WWE has had belts on non-white wrestlers plenty of times. The big problem is getting non-white wrestlers, there just aren't that many of them in the US. Even in the smaller indy circuits, minorities are far and few between more often than not.

Ithil

Don't they choose that by which characters the fans respond to?

So isn't it sports entertainment fans that determine this?

In theory they do. That is what they claim. In reality, at least in the WWE, it's the furthest from the truth. Management picks who they want to push, and that's that, they force the audience to go along with it.

Well, with a huge entertainment empire like this any racial issues should be reflections of its fan base right? Entertainment is produced for and targeted to its consuming audience.

Not to say that there are any issues, I'm not a fan of wrestling so I don't know.

shoplifter

Saying "But the Rock is black" isn't really getting at the quoted question there - it's hard to deny a large majority of the black wrestlers in that company have been forced into rapping/dancing stereotypical roles. Making such a sidelining even more funny is that the only real WWE star who's been allowed to break out of that narrow box - is Cena.

But their statement is factually false.

I'll grant you that their gimmicks have largely been awful, but WWE books based on who is going to make them money. If a black worker is going to draw, he will be pushed.

Ron Killings has had that same gimmick for pretty much his entire career.

Damaniel

Banned
Because most people who watch wrestling, besides children, are rednecks. Got to fit you're target audience.

Jk wrestlegaf.....or am I

Maybe not every wrestling fan is a redneck, but every wrestling fan I know (and I know many, having been part owner of a very small-time wrestling promotion at one time in the past, and being the son of a almost single-mindedly wrestling-obsessed dad) seems to fit the stereotype. Universally right wing (and viciously so), heavily nationalistic, and perhaps not outright racist, though quick to assume that the dark skinned person in line at the grocery store is going to pull out the SNAP card and somehow hold up the line. Sure, there are plenty of exceptions, but having experienced the culture first hand (and at a pretty deep level, at that), I have to say that the stereotype exists for a reason...

Thorakai

Bullshit wrestling racism stories 101. They'll trot out Junk Yard Dog stories from 40 fucking years ago to fit the narrative, and conveniently forget the respect shown to Ron Simmons as the first black WHC and also that The Rock, a person of colour is one of the top 3 greatest, most charismatic, and most beloved stars in the industry. B-b-b-but what about Virgil!?!? Give me a break.

but the article doesn't mention Junkyard Dog or Virgil. And it addresses both Ron Simmons and The Rock.

BigDug13

Can you point me to where he said that? I've heard him say to not discount his Samoan heritage when calling him Black, but I've never heard him say he identifies a Samoan.

Seems like he's identifying pretty heavily with the tribal tats like his fellow family members Roman Reigns and the Usos have.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't think those people actually watched wrestling during the early-mid 2000s then, because the SD title was very much a legit title back when WWE still had the talent to support the brand split.
Talent = Smackdown six and Paul Heyman.

The issue here is that no matter how successful Smackdown was back then Vince and his goons still viewed it as the B show and it was an Us(Raw booking/creative) vs Them(SD booking/creative) scenario.

Striker

I like Mark, but lets be honest... if anybody there neeeds or deserves a title run it would be Dolph Ziggler. He is one of the best wrestlers and easily the best seller they have.
Mark could have easily had a run of some sort back in 2011-12. His problem has been his ability to get injured so much. It's a shame. He's a talented dude.

Workrate and being champion is rarely the case. Case in point, they are gearing up a run for a young Samoan now who hasn't worked singles matches very long and has less moves than Mark Henry.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also Ron Killings (R-Truth) has held the NWA Championship, which at one time meant a fucking lot.

Currently TNA has a black champion in Bobby Lashley. Even though he sucks.

It's an up hill battle for people in WWE.

krae_man

Question - how many other minority WWF/WWE champions have there been? Iron Shiek counts, correct?

Pedro Morales, Antonio Inoki(kinda), The Iron Sheik, Yokozuna, Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, Alberto Del Rio, The Rock, Batista kinda?

Lots of Hispanics and little else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom