• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are all the 3DS 3rd party games?

TnK

Seriously, where are they?

The DS had an extremely strong 3rd party support, I don't know if I can say the same thing for the 3DS. Therefore, enlighten me of all the good 3rd party titles on the 3DS, because I really feel that the handheld is lacking in that department.

Secret thread of "I miss the DS" =(

zeromcd73

V V
apple-iphone-5s-white-front-hires.jpg

vareon

The DS had an extremely strong 3rd party support, I don't know if I can say the same thing for the 3DS. Therefore, enlighten me of all the good 3rd party titles on the 3DS, because I really feel that the handheld is lacking in that department.

Here is the ones coming out in a few months, minus a lot of stuff like Bravely Second and Ace Attorney.

Edit: Japanese, though. If you want 3rd party from the Western side, you must suffice with the eShop titles.

Xenoflare

I dunno, I bought the 3DS for 3rd (Atlus) party games.

Atlus is delivering, with SMT IV, Soul Hackers, Devil Survivor, and two EO games. (Though I never brought myself to enjoy EO and regretted my purchase), and Persona Q down the road.

You also have MH4 coming up

Western developed? On the eShop.

From Japan, retail and eShop.

But both are in decline due to mobile.

Wasn't there a Direct lately for exactly this? Did I miss it?
Japanese only. As a result many of the games might take a while to arrive (if they do at all, DQX for instance).

There are still some games coming out from 3rd party devs.

Atlus being my favorite 3rd party dev, Persona Q is coming out soon and we're getting more Etrian Odyssey.

And Devil Survivor 2: Break Record lol

There's more Japanese 3rd party stuff coming out like the Miku game, Harvest Moon, Stroy of Seasons, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Bravely Second, MH4, and other stuff.

If you mean current stuff, just check Atlus games.

redcrayon

Generally I've found 3DS third party support to be much weaker than the DS, but the first party offerings to be far superior.

Even so, my favourite third party games on 3DS are:

Resident Evil: Revelations
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
Etrian Odyssey IV
Etrian Odyssey Untold
Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm
Bravely Default
Monster Hunter 3G
Steamworld Dig
Mighty Switch Force
Code of Princess
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Devil Survivor: Overclocked.

What I really miss from the DS are the 2D games like Contra IV, Metal Slug 7, Aliens: Infestation and Spider-Man: Web of Shadows.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sega still made some Sonic games and Capcom made Ace Attorney and Resident Evil Revelations. Also, some nice games from SQX, but overall, 3rd party support pales in comparison to DS, sadly.

GamerJM

Banned
It's not as good as the DS but then again few platforms are IMO. The 3DS still has the best third-party lineup of any post-SNES Nintendo platform IMO.

JordanN

Banned
I know many will disagree with me but the one analog stick was gonna doom 3DS to an early death.

A handheld that was suppose to support Dreamcast/PS2-esque games but no one at Nintendo remembered you need something to control the camera? The touchscreen/circle pad pro just doesn't cut it.

Koren

I know many will disagree with me but the one analog stick was gonna doom 3DS to an early death.

A handheld that was suppose to support Dreamcast/PS2-esque games but no one at Nintendo remembered you need something to control the camera? The touchscreen/circle pad pro just doesn't cut it.
Assuming that's the reason, where are the 3rd party?

On Vita, with two sticks?

On mobile, without any sticks?

Dreamcast you said ?
soul-calibur-ending-2.jpg

:p

redcrayon

I'm not sure how the lack of a second stick doomed it when the big competition is mobile with zero sticks and the DS didn't need them either.

Basing your handheld around running first/third person twin-stick home-console games is what the brief for the Vita was, not the 3DS, and it hasn't exactly worked out well for it.

JordanN

Banned
I'm not sure how the lack of a second stick doomed it when the big competition is mobile with zero sticks and the DS didn't need either.

Basing your handheld around running first/third person twin-stick home-console games is what the brief for the Vita was, not the 3DS.
The DS could barely run 3D games. A lack of a 2nd analog stick wasn't going to hurt it much when the games still played like the Super Nintendo.

Mobile can still emulate two sticks but it's a bit erroneous. You don't have any buttons there anyway (should 3DS have come with no buttons?).

The DS could barely run 3D games. A lack of a 2nd analog stick wasn't going to hurt it much when the games still played like the Super Nintendo.

Mobile can still emulate two sticks but it's a bit erroneous. You don't have any buttons there anyway (should 3DS have come with no buttons?).
Its still not the reason the 3DS has less third party support though.

iMerc

you mean 'ever'? because there are plenty. and i'm just talking about the quality ones.
i can't stand people who deliberately perpetrate outright lies for whatever trendy justification. please don't be one of them. the 3ds has plenty of great 3rd party titles already available.

if you mean coming out in the near future from now, though….not sure. it's definitely quieted down.
there you go; i offered you a 'way out'. i suggest you take it… :p

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
western support wasn't all that strong even on the DS, and I don't find the eastern one so weaker, especially thanks to the eshop releases of some games that we would have missed on the DS probably

redcrayon

You suggested that the 3DS was doomed because it didn't have twin sticks, that's what I'm arguing against:

I'm just saying that that blatantly isn't true as it's not like there are developers queueing up screaming for more options to make their portable twin-stick action games on. They already have one and it isn't exactly being lifted to the heavens by a tide of such games. Not only that, but of the developers supporting portables, the majority of them Japanese, do you seriously think that just because a 3DS had twin sticks at launch, it would have seen shedloads of such action games rather than rpgs, layton and pokemon? The market for those action games on a portable in 2011/2012 was focused around the Vita, a great machine designed from the ground up for them, and it still wasn't enough.

The 3DS might well have seen a few more action games with a second stick, I don't doubt that. It also wouldn't have done any harm, no argument there. Butt the lack of one comes a long way from the biggest challenges it faced in the market, being hand-me-down phones and a healthy portion of iOS games being free. Gamers that care about twin sticks for Metal Gear etc on portables are a ridiculously small piece of the market compared to the tens of millions of customers that mobile has cost Nintendo's portable business as they flee for Angry Birds and Candy Crush, hence it isn't the lack of a second stick that 'doomed' it.

TnK

This further proves that the 3DS is really lacking its 3 years compared to the DS.
Curse you mobile phones!
It's not as good as the DS but then again few platforms are IMO. The 3DS still has the best third-party lineup of any post-SNES Nintendo platform IMO.
I think that goes to the DS.
you mean 'ever'? because there are plenty. and i'm just talking about the quality ones.
i can't stand people who deliberately perpetrate outright lies for whatever trendy justification. please don't be one of them. the 3ds has plenty of great 3rd party titles already available.

if you mean coming out in the near future from now, though….not sure. it's definitely quieted down.
there you go; i offered you a 'way out'. i suggest you take it… :p
Not ever, but in terms of number aad quality. In 3 years time, there were a ton more excellent 3rd party games on the DS compared to the 3DS which feels like it almost has no games for it (relatively speaking, not in general)
There are still some games coming out from 3rd party devs.

Atlus being my favorite 3rd party dev, Persona Q is coming out soon and we're getting more Etrian Odyssey.

And Devil Survivor 2: Break Record
There's more Japanese 3rd party stuff coming out like the Miku game, Harvest Moon, Stroy of Seasons, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Bravely Second, MH4, and other stuff.

If you mean current stuff, just check Atlus games.
Atlus is nice and all, but more support would have been better.
Generally I've found 3DS third party support to be much weaker than the DS, but the first party offerings to be far superior.

Even so, my favourite third party games on 3DS are:

Resident Evil: Revelations
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
Etrian Odyssey IV
Etrian Odyssey Untold
Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm
Bravely Default
Monster Hunter 3G
Steamworld Dig
Mighty Switch Force
Code of Princess
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
Devil Survivor: Overclocked.

What I really miss from the DS are the 2D games like Contra IV, Metal Slug 7, Aliens: Infestation and Spider-Man: Web of Shadows.
I own most of the games listed and I still feel the 3DS is lacking, lol.

I really wanted the 3DS to be the true successor to the DS, similar to how the PS2 succeeded the PS1, but alas, that was not the case. I guess mobile games really are to blame to some extent.

redcrayon

This further proves that the 3DS is really lacking its 3 years compared to the DS.

Curse you mobile phones!

I think that goes to the DS.

Not ever, but in terms of number aad quality. In 3 years time, there were a ton more excellent 3rd party games on the DS compared to the 3DS which feels like it almost has no games for it (relatively speaking, not in general)

Atlus is nice and all, but more support would have been better.

I own most of the games listed and I still feel the 3DS is lacking, lol.

I really wanted the 3DS to be the true successor to the DS, similar to how the PS2 succeeded the PS1, but alas, that was not the case. I guess mobile games really are to blame to some extent.

Yeah, an awful lot of the gems on the DS were oddities made on the cheap, like Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, and then sold for £30. Obviously a profitable idea on a portable console with no mobile competition.

Now, those developers are better off working on indies or mobile games, where they don't need to worry about manufacturing carts and distribution in a highly fractured market. I have to say, I expected to see more indie games on the 3DS eshop though, it's still a comparatively tiny selection and largely of poor quality compared to what you can find on the Vita, with a few obvious exceptions.

Lets take the case of SE

DS

1 2005-03-24 Egg Monster Hero
2 2005-12-01 Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
3 2006-03-02 Children of Mana
4 2006-08-24 Final Fantasy III
5 2006-12-14 Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
6 2006-12-28 Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
7 2007-03-08 Heroes of Mana
8 2007-03-22 Front Mission
9 2007-04-26 Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
10 2007-06-21 Itadaki Street DS
11 2007-07-27 Subarashiki Kono Sekai: It's a Wonderful World
12 2007-08-23 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fate
13 2007-10-25 Final Fantasy Tactics A2: The Sealed Grimoire
14 2007-11-22 Dragon Quest IV
15 2007-12-20 Final Fantasy IV
16 2008-04-17 DS Bookkeeping, Level 3
17 2008-05-29 Front Mission 2089: Border of Madness
18 2008-07-03 Nanashi no Game (The Game with no Name)
19 2008-07-17 Dragon Quest V
20 2008-08-21 Sigma Harmonics
21 2008-10-23 Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Ultimate Hits)
22 2008-10-23 Final Fantasy III (Ultimate Hits)
23 2008-10-23 Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (Ultimate Hits)
24 2008-10-23 Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (Ultimate Hits)
25 2008-10-30 Cid and Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: The Labyrinth of Lost Time DS+
26 2008-11-01 Valkyrie Profile: The Accused One
27 2008-11-06 Pingu no Waku Waku Carnival!
28 2008-11-20 Chrono Trigger
29 2008-12-11 Chocobo to Mahou no Ehon: Majo to Shoujo to Go-nin no Yuusha

PSP

1 2006-03-02 Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
2 2006-05-25 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable
3 2007-04-19 Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition
4 2007-05-10 Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
5 2007-06-07 Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition
6 2007-09-13 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
7 2007-12-27 Star Ocean 1 First Departure
8 2008-03-06 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (Ultimate Hits)
9 2008-03-06 Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (Ultimate Hits)
10 2008-04-02 Star Ocean: Second Evolution
11 2008-12-18 Dissidia: Final Fantasy
12 2009-07-30 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Ultimate Hits
13 2009-07-30 Final Fantasy II: Anniversary Edition Ultimate Hits
14 2009-07-30 Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions Ultimate Hits
15 2009-07-30 Final Fantasy: Anniversary Edition Ultimate Hits
16 2009-11-01 Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Universal Tuning
17 2009-12-03 Star Ocean: The Second Story (Ultimate Hits)

And now 3DS (SE Vita support is non existent)

1 2011-02-26 Bust-A-Move Universe
2 2011-11-02 Dragon Quest: Slime Morimori 3
3 2012-02-16 Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
4 2012-03-29 Kingdom Hearts 3D – Dream Drop Distance
5 2012-05-31 Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
6 2012-10-11 Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
7 2013-02-07 Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden
8 2013-06-13 Gyrozetter: Wings of the Albatross
9 2014-02-06 Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca's Marvelous Mysterious Key
10 2014-04-24 Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
11 2014 FF Explorers

All in the same time frame of 3 years.

redcrayon

A lot of those DS games would have been very cheap to make though.

I don't think it's just about numbers of games released, it's the time and budget involved. Looking at the list there, would the total money invested in 3DS development over three years really be any less than the amount invested in DS development, when you take into account the work involved? I can't imagine that building something like Bravely Default from scratch is that cheap to produce compared to Revenant Wings on DS, or even the remake of Terry's Wonderland compared to a quick port of Chrono Trigger or Front Mission.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's the same thing as on home consoles. 20 years ago you could knock out a bit of software that sold for £40 in 6 months, now each generation takes twice as long and twice as many staff to make a game.

If only there was some sort of electronic shop where smaller third party games could be downloaded. Or, even better, some kind of slot on the system where you could put any of those third party DS games to play them.

Yes, the 3DS has less major third party support. I think we'll find that trend extends to the consoles too. But what we get is great.

Saro

The eshop has alot of 3 party and indie games if your looking for some. Try some of the dsi ware games too.

Can we get a localized Youkai Watch and DQ7, please? I mean seriously.

If SMT4 is finally coming to Europe then these can surely happen.

Pikma

Banned
I don't think the lack of 3rd party games, compared to DS, is exclusively related to iOS/Android. The sad truth is that lots of the current publishers in the industry have seen better days, and all in all, we know these companies have been moving to a more focused model that has significantly reduced their output quantity. The only pub that can really be pointed out for making the full jump is Square Enix, and even them have been affected by what I mentioned.

random25

The common misconception is that 3DS is lacking 3rd party support. Reduced, yeah, with pretty much Western publishers going away with handheld. But there is still good enough 3rd party on the 3DS.

Activision is pretty much releasing their Skylanders games on the 3DS. There are also Disney games on the 3DS. There are also movie tie-in games on the 3DS. And hey, Shovel Knight and some cool indie games are there on the 3DS e-shop, so check them out.

For the Japanese publishers, SE is still there, with BD and Bravely Second as well as FF Explorers and Theathrythm. Level-5 and Namco as well. Some niche games too. And Sega with their Sega Classics as well as some Sonic games, as well as Project Mirai. Capcom with an RE game, an SF port, and Monster Hunter. And don't forget Atlus too. They can't pump up as many games as they do before, but they are still on-board and look forward to some of their games reaching outside Japan.

TnK

I don't know, I guess I am asking for too much. I have 60+ DS games, and almost all of them are grade A material. It is the reason why the DS was my favorite system when I had both the 360 and PS3.

I really wanted to see more games that were on the DS, to be on the 3DS.

Again, from that standpoint, the 3DS is lacking. Eshop also does not have the same quality output as the DS games. Maybe the numbers are there, I don't know.

Would have been cool if we saw a TWEWY 2 on the 3DS.

sörine

Banned
Lets take the case of SE

DS

21 2008-10-23 Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Ultimate Hits)
22 2008-10-23 Final Fantasy III (Ultimate Hits)
23 2008-10-23 Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (Ultimate Hits)
24 2008-10-23 Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (Ultimate Hits)
25 2008-10-30 Cid and Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: The Labyrinth of Lost Time DS+
26 2008-11-01 Valkyrie Profile: The Accused One
27 2008-11-06 Pingu no Waku Waku Carnival!
28 2008-11-20 Chrono Trigger
29 2008-12-11 Chocobo to Mahou no Ehon: Majo to Shoujo to Go-nin no Yuusha

PSP

8 2008-03-06 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable (Ultimate Hits)
9 2008-03-06 Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (Ultimate Hits)
10 2008-04-02 Star Ocean: Second Evolution
11 2008-12-18 Dissidia: Final Fantasy
12 2009-07-30 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Ultimate Hits
13 2009-07-30 Final Fantasy II: Anniversary Edition Ultimate Hits
14 2009-07-30 Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions Ultimate Hits
15 2009-07-30 Final Fantasy: Anniversary Edition Ultimate Hits
16 2009-11-01 Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Universal Tuning
17 2009-12-03 Star Ocean: The Second Story (Ultimate Hits)

And now 3DS (SE Vita support is non existent)

11 2014 FF Explorers

All in the same time frame of 3 years.
Your PSP one is four years. Also both the DS and PSP lists are loaded with reprints.

edit: Here they are corrected. 3 years, minus budget reprints.

DS
21 2008-10-30 Cid and Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: The Labyrinth of Lost Time DS+
22 2008-11-01 Valkyrie Profile: The Accused One
23 2008-11-06 Pingu no Waku Waku Carnival!
24 2008-11-20 Chrono Trigger
25 2008-12-11 Chocobo to Mahou no Ehon: Majo to Shoujo to Go-nin no Yuusha

PSP
8 2008-04-02 Star Ocean: Second Evolution
9 2008-12-18 Dissidia: Final Fantasy

3DS

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of them are on the eShop only now, they're indie games. I swear, it's as if the 3DS has no third party games to some people because they can't be bothered to look at the eShop.

Crayons

Banned
A lot of them are on the eShop only now, they're indie games. I swear, it's as if the 3DS has no third party games to some people because they can't be bothered to look at the eShop.

Unfortunately I'm one of them. I forget that AA5 and Senran Kagura exist because I never see them when shopping online.

If they were to have an eShop sale on those two I'd definitely pick them up.

Yagami_Sama

Elsewhere.

IF you compare the amount of third party games from GBA and DS, the 3DS has less games. But I think that in some cases the quality improved.
Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Monster Hunter was a quite addition to system library. But i do miss the rpg and great Castlevanias.

Pikma

Banned
Elsewhere.

IF you compare the amount of third party games from GBA and DS, the 3DS has less games. But I think that in some cases the quality improved.
Shin Megami Tensei IV, and Monster Hunter was a quite addition to system library. But i do miss the rpg and great Castlevanias.

Well, that contradicts your "Elsewhere" statement, because Castlevania is already there, the fact that the one released wasn't very good and that we probably won't see another one is completely because of the publisher's current direction. It has nothing to do with the platform, it's just that Konami now has those shitty westernized mechanics/looks as the face for the franchise, and there won't be another one because their release output is scaled back as hell, and that will only get worse in the next few years.

Top Bottom