• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan lines up again! For Youkai Watch... early movie tickets!

zeromcd73

With the huge popularity of the Youkai Watch games and franchise in Japan a movie was previously announced to open in Japan in December later this year.

Yesterday was the day that 500,000 limited edition early movie tickets were sold to customers. The big thing about this early ticket though, is that it comes with a rare medal and card!
jUnQJHM.jpg

And of course the lines came!
6:00am in the morning:

The Krispy Kreme sign in one of those photos reminded me that Japanese will queue up for almost anything. When Dunkin' Donuts first opened a store in Tokyo there were queues.

Tizoc

What's to say the movie won't be a trite, uninspired, generic anime trope infested movie? Cuz I'd like for it to be good, but you never know when they just want to make a quick Yen >_>;

For that matter...how long will the movie be?

What's to say the movie won't be a trite, uninspired, generic anime trope infested movie? Cuz I'd like for it to be good, but you never know when they just want to make a quick Yen >_>;

For that matter...how long will the movie be?

Doesn't matter.

It's Youkai Watch.

Hum...
Reminds me of the Mew's special card for one of the Pokemon's movie (the second i think).

The first one . The second movie was about Lugia and the three birds.

The first one was about Mew and Mewtwo and the whole cloning thing.

My 7 year old self loved it back then.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
The Krispy Kreme sign in one of those photos reminded me that Japanese will queue up for almost anything. When Dunkin' Donuts first opened a store in Tokyo there were queues.

This is true. I saw a line for special popcorn. I mean really?

chrono01

This is true. I saw a line for special popcorn. I mean really?
To be fair, popcorn is pretty great.

Also, that lineup is insane. I really hope Nintendo brings Youkai Watch to NA. I mean, they would be insane not to, but crazier things have happened...

L~A

I guess the people calling it "This generation's Pokémon" weren't exaggerating.

Of course they weren't. First people I heard saying that were retailers, who have been seeing copies of both games sell like hot pancakes. No idea how far the whole thing will go... will it reach Pokémon-levels of popularity?

And the most impressive thing about Pokémon isn't so much how popular it is, but how consistently popular it's been. If Youkai Watch can do the same... I wish Level-5 good luck (oh, and please localise the games already, ha ha).

I've been watching the anime lately, and it's really great, lots of fun.

JoeM86

Of course they weren't. First people I heard saying that were retailers, who have been seeing copies of both games sell like hot pancakes. No idea how far the whole thing will go... will it reach Pokémon-levels of popularity?

And the most impressive thing about Pokémon isn't so much how popular it is, but how consistently popular it's been. If Youkai Watch can do the same... I wish Level-5 good luck (oh, and please localise the games already, ha ha).

Indeed. Games still break records on sale, the movies are always in the top 5 for the year in Japan too, if memory serves. Youkai Watch's anime does beat Pokémon in the weekly ratings more often than not, though.

I can't see Youkai Watch matching Pokémon in terms of overall success, though. That said, I can see it standing alongside Pokémon and Monster Hunter as successful portable gaming sensations over the years.

Those lines are crazy, though.

Forkball

I've been playing Yokai Watch 2 and I'm really enjoying it. Kind of like Earthbound meets Pokemon with its own unique additions. I'd be careful about calling it the next Pokemon. Pokemon's been around 20 years and YW has survived one.

What the fuck? Stand in line for a "limited edition".... movie ticket? Even with the 'medal' or whatever, I mean huh? Besides, 500,000 of them doesn't exactly make them 'limited', except for the fact that they're limited compared to the millions of movie tickets sold each week, but I still can't wrap my head around this...

Ken

Himura Kenshin looks jealous.

What the fuck? Stand in line for a "limited edition".... movie ticket? Even with the 'medal' or whatever, I mean huh? Besides, 500,000 of them doesn't exactly make them 'limited', except for the fact that they're limited compared to the millions of movie tickets sold each week, but I still can't wrap my head around this...

Maybe the bonuses are really meaningful to YW players.

JoeM86

Three years ago, there were huge lines to access a special Snivy at the Pokémon Center in Tohoku

JoeM86

Milk? It was all planned right from the start to be a cross media franchise.

Indeed. It was quite an oddity in fact.

Before the anime came around, the game was having mediocre sales at best. Then, the anime came and things turned around for the game. Sort of the inverse of Pokémon, where the anime's popularity is due to the games.

Dr. Buni

It would be interesting if Youkai Watch could reach similar levels of popularity as Pokémon, though it likely won't.

No "mon" franchise ever matched Pokémon in its seventeen years of existence (or is it eighteen already?).

Still, there is a first for everything, they say.

Zweizer

Banned
I knows it's not at the same level of Pokemon yet, but how does it compare to, say, Digimon? I'm rather curious to see how this franchise will evolve.

Ah memories. People said the same for Pokémon.

The similarities are getting uncanny.

zeromcd73

I knows it's not at the same level of Pokemon yet, but how does it compare to, say, Digimon? I'm rather curious to see how this franchise will evolve.

I don't think Digimon is a great comparison since it wasn't a video game that evolved into a mass media franchise like Pokemon/Youkai Watch. It was originally created to be the boys version of Tamogotchi.
Code:
[3DS] Youkai Watch 2 Honke/Gansho - 1,281,096
[PS1] Digimon World - 246,859

The first Digimon World on PS1 is awesome. Loved it as a kid and still love it now.

JoeM86

Now Level-5 only needs to follow the Pokémon steps and give us a female playable character (if there isn't one already?)

You should.

Haha, my Pokémon site keeps me so busy, have so much on my plate right now. Youkai Watch on top of that would just slay me.

According to StreetsAhead though, there is no Youkai Watch equivalent to my site

Dragoshi1

Now Level-5 only needs to follow the Pokémon steps and give us a female playable character (if there isn't one already?)

You should.

There is, actually.

Fumika is the female choice, I just never see her used in marketing for the game, and she's more or less a side character in the anime.

crinale

Used shops are buying premium medals for $150/piece or more.
The thing is getting a little out of hand actually...

Kouriozan

Where is the trading card game? :p
Also, they really should announce the release of the first game for the West, something so huge just can't stay in Japan, that's cruel T_T

Top Bottom