• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The beast is unleashed... again. 10th anniversary of "Evo moment #37"

Zukuu

Banned
Anniversary tournament
Super Arcade announced today, that they will hold a 'special tournament' in November, to honor the 10th anniversary of history's best gaming moment. It will take place in Cal Poly Pomona's Ursa Major Hall, Southern California, the same venue where Daigo was able to not only avoid death by parrying ALL hits of Chun Li's super, but to turn the round around and win the game. Daigo has been confirmed to attend.

Chun-mvc-kicksuper.gif

The moment
Almost everyone knows the video that is simply called "Evo moment #37", but in case some people don't, you can watch it here:

Why is this moment so amazing?
In Street Fighter, whenever you BLOCK a special or super attack you still receive a small portion of it as so called "chip" damage. In this case, Daigo, who had no HP left, would have lost the round if he would have blocked even a single hit of a special or super attack. However, Street Fighter III features a technique called "Parrying" that deflects any attack and nullifies any damage (including chip damage), but requires the player to tap TOWARDS the enemy at the exact same moment the character would be hit, making it incredible risky and hard to pull of consistently. You have only a few frames (1/60 of a second) to time it correctly, making the feat to block all of Chun Li's 17 hits, in particular during a tournament, even more amazing.

701812247.gif

FAQ
What is the game?
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

When did it take place?
On the last day of Evolution 2004, which ran from July 29 to August 1, during the Losers bracket finals. More info about Evolution, the biggest Fighting Game tournament in the world can be read here.

Why is it called Evo moment #37?
Evo give especially hype moments that occur during a Evo a seemingly random number. "We basically just pick a # that isn't 1-10 to represent the idea that there are ALWAYS more amazing moments around the corner. When I picked #37 years ago, we knew we were in for some crazy stuff in the years to come." So while there also exists an Evo moment #69, there isn't a number 36 for instance.

Who was the opponent?
Americas favorite and most successful FCG-meatball Justin Wong. Click here for more info about him.

Who commentated?
Seth Killian, who was later for a period of time Capcom's first community manager and remains to be active in the FGC, commentating this year's Evo USF4 top 8 as well.

Daigo "The Beast" Umehara
006.jpg

Daigo is a Japanese arcade fighting video game player. He specializes in 2D arcade fighting games and is one of the world's most famous and among the best Street Fighter players. He currently holds a world record of "the most successful player in major tournaments of Street Fighter" in Guinness World Records. More about Daigo here: Daigo Umehara

Legacy
-The video made Daigo internationally famous and gave him his nickname "The Beast"
-The moment placed first in numerous lists, including Kotaku's Top 10 Moments in Pro-Gaming History.
-With 20-30+ million combined views, it's the the most-watched competitive gaming moment of all time.
-Daigo's parry ability was mentioned in the web-series purepwnage. Check the clip out here.
-Daigo released multiple books about pro-gaming.
-Glenn Cravens released a dedicated book about the moment. Click here to have a look.
-The catchphrase "LET'S GO JUSTIN" has become some sort of a meme and is used to this day, in particular when Justin Wong plays.
-Like shown above, the moment has appeared in Daigo's own manga that has the subtitle "To live, is to game"
-There are many fan arts, parodies and remixes surrounding the moment, parrying and Daigo himself and even merchandise like T-Shirts.
-The anime Acchi Kocchi uses the moment. Click here.
-Japanese Televison made a documentation about Daigo Umehara and the Evo moment. Untranslated version can be seen here (If anyone has an English translated video, leave a message please)
-He has also appeared for numerous promotions and ads in Japan.
-The entire parry and combo are featured as last expert parry trial in Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition, with the subtitle "Evo moment #37"
-RedRapper's song for the SSF4 Evo finals in 2010 mentions Daigo. Song can be listened to here . He is also the target for a vast number of remixes featuring his matches.
-Penny Arcade has a very detailed article about the moment. Check it out here: The Beast is Unleashed: Capcom’s Seth Killian explains the most famous minute in competitive gaming

Do you know any more pictures, gifs, videos, songs or facts about the moment? Post them!

antitrop

I will never get sick of watching that, and I'm always still as impressed and surprised as the first time I saw it.

shaowebb

Here's hoping the Blaz Blue Chrono Phantasma Grand Finals Saga of Galileo gets the same sort of treatment as the years roll by. Whole damn climb out of losers finals to the gold was giving people panic attacks and forcing people to break down in tears.

Here's hoping the Blaz Blue Chrono Phantasma Grand Finals Saga of Galileo gets the same sort of treatment as the years roll by. Whole damn climb out of losers finals to the gold was giving people panic attacks and forcing people to break down in tears.

It would be great for BB players, because Evo moment #37 wasn't just incredibly impressive, it literally got people into learning the game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
crowd's roar midway through the parries when they realise what's happening is amazing

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Everyone has seen this, even if you are a far outsider to the FGC.

Cess007

Why is it called Evo moment #37?
Evo calls especially hype moments that occur during a Evo with a seemingly random number. "We basically just pick a # that isn't 1-10 to represent the idea that there are ALWAYS more amazing moments around the corner. When I picked #37 years ago, we knew we were in for some crazy stuff in the years to come." So while there also exists an Evo moment #69, there isn't a number 36 for instance.

He, always wondered this.
I'm not really into fighters but even i can grasp how awesome that moment is. And really love the reaction of the crowd: Genuine excitement, disbelief and total madness at the end :)

Mr. X

Parry window in 3rd Strike is actually active for 5 or 6 frames. Daigo is preemptively inputting parry in that highlight meaning he input parry before the Super flash.

Why was that mechanic removed anyway?

To differentiate each numbered entry. SFA thing was Custom Combos (more or less), SF3 was parries, SF4 is focus.

Pics_nao

I had always loved playing fighting games at the laundromat with the other kids when I was younger casually and mashing buttons and randomly flicking the stick but when I first saw this I knew I HAD to learn how to play fighting games competently.

Zukuu

Banned
Why was that mechanic removed anyway?
Every Street Fighter has new mechanisms. SF5 won't have Focus Attack from SF4 most likely. Parry was also incredible broken and basically punished being offensive and doomed characters with telegraphed attacks to be nigh non-competitive.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
It was an amazing moment. Although not as impressive as it was when I first saw it and didn't know much about the game and it's players.

Justin gets shit for it, but SF is about taking risks sometimes. At that point it was a very safe risk. Daigo isn't superhuman and at that point had most likey parried that super multiple times against opponents in Japanese arcades.

Not to take away from the hype. Just saying there's some perspective to be had there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Still the best moment of Evo, ever.

140.85 said:
It was an amazing moment. Although not as impressive as it was when I first saw it and didn't know much about the game and it's players.

What? Yes it is still an impressive moment. Justin was pretty much a sure-bet on winning since he had life-lead and could take the risk of landing the super. The "impressive" bit is Daigo landing the parries perfectly and then retaliating. You can say he "had a lot of practice in arcades," but that's selling the feat short: You can practice all you want but nail the parries 100% of the time? I kinda doubt that.

Anth0ny

The greatest highlight in gaming history. I watched that video and thought "Huh, that was the best thing ever. I think I'm going to start going to video game tournaments now."

The 10th anniversary tournament sounds like such an awesome idea.

I also feel super old realizing that Daigo's parry was 10 damn years ago

Valentus

Serious Question, why is Daigo so bad last couple of years in tournaments?

Lack of reflexes because he is getting older?

Lack of innovation in his playstyle?

Didn't care anymore for competitive fighting?

Daigo is a leyend in SF scene, it's a shame he didnt get in the final 8 of this year's evo.

Top Bottom