• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA FY15 Q1: Beats expectations for quarter, Ultimate Team revenue way up, game delays

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GAAP Q1 Net Income: $335 million (Official Accounting)
Non-GAAP Q1 Net Income: $61 million (EA Accounting)
TTM Cash Flow: $964 million (How much money they've actually made in the last twelve months)

EA IR said:
July 22, 2014
Electronic Arts Reports Q1 FY15 Financial Results
Q1 Non-GAAP Net Revenue up 57% and Operating Income Up $246 Million Year-Over-Year

Trailing Twelve Month Operating Cash Flow Hits a Company Record High of $964 Million

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced preliminary financial results for its first fiscal quarter ended June 30, 2014.

"It was a strong start to the year for Electronic Arts. We are committed to putting our players first and delivering the entertainment, innovation and creativity that our players want," said Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wilson. "Through exciting new titles and fresh content in our live services, we are well-positioned to deliver on that commitment in FY15 and beyond."

"EA delivered first quarter EPS above prior year and our guidance through a combination of revenue growth, higher gross margins and lower operating expenses," said Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen. "We have gotten off to a great start and are encouraged by the trends in our industry and business."

News and ongoing updates regarding EA and our games are available on EA's blog at http://ea.com/news.

Selected Financial and Operating Highlights and Metrics:
*On a non-GAAP basis

In EA's fiscal Q1, gamers played more than 13.6 billion online sessions of EA games, totaling nearly 2.4 billion hours played across console, mobile and PC.
EA received more than 40 E3 awards: Dragon AgeTM Inquisition won more than 20 awards at E3, including Best RPG, and NHL®15 took home Best Sports Game from the E3 Game Critics.
Monthly active players for EA MobileTM titles reached more than 140 million in Q1.
Calendar year-to-date, EA continues to be the #1 publisher on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One consoles in the Western World led by FIFA 14, TitanfallTM, Battlefield 4TM, and EA SPORTSTM UFC®.
More than 53 million matches were played in FIFA Ultimate Team World Cup mode in the quarter, equivalent to playing over 800,000 FIFA World Cup tournaments.
Revenue for EA's Ultimate Team services continued to grow in fiscal Q1, with NHL Hockey Ultimate Team growing 50%*, FIFA Ultimate Team growing nearly 80%* and Madden Ultimate Team growing over 350%* year-over-year.
Operating cash flow for the quarter improved $252 million versus the same period last year and hit a Company record high of $964 million on a trailing twelve month basis.
EA repurchased 1.4 million shares in Q1 for $50 million pursuant to the $750 million Share Repurchase Program initiated in May 2014.
EA reaffirmed fiscal 2015 guidance of $4.1 billion in net revenue* and $1.85 in EPS*, which reflects the launch date changes for Battlefield™ Hardline and Dragon Age Inquisition announced today.
Source: http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=861279

Quentyn

Hardline is 2015

fy15q153srz.png

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...e4c34943/FY15 Q1 Earnings Slides - FINAL.pdf

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Maybe they figured out that they needed more than a cops and robbers skin on BF4 for Hardline...

Sucks about Dragon Age though, but it moves it to a time with a few less games. More time to play I guess!

Quentyn

Statement from Blake Jorgensen

The moves, which postpone the releases of its action adventure game Dragon Age Inquisition and cops-and-robbers shooter title Battlefield Hardline, are sure to upset excited fans. But EA said it needed the extra time to add more polish. Dragon Age is being delayed several weeks to Nov. 18, while Battlefield will be released sometime in early 2015, during the company's fourth fiscal quarter.

Blake Jorgensen, EA's chief financial officer, said the company is responding to customer's reactions after it offered access to a preliminary version of the game earlier this summer. EA is also crafting the game to avoid nagging bugs and performance problems that plagued last year's war simulation shooter, Battlefield 4. "As you know we've had stability issues in the past," he said. "We're trying to make sure it's really strong."

http://www.cnet.com/news/electronic-arts-beats-estimates-after-world-cup-but-still-cautious/

GTA V Oct release date incoming. They got the news early. (;

I'm glad we're seeing delays OCT was stuffed, it still is even with these.

Also I said it once and I'll say it again Battlefront next Fall, BF5 the next.

Kyo645

Banned
This is actually pretty smart for both games. Dragon age will have some breathing room in November and get a black friday push in the US, while hardline can get some more polish and hopefully get some more features that can differentiate itself from battlefield 4 and make it be the game you need to play next year.

Not surprising. Now let's see what else moves. I think Alien Isolation may get pushed back too. If GTA is announced for Oct. more than a few games will probably get delayed. Too much coming out in too little time.

Surprised it was BF that moved to 2015 though, and not DA.

Well, I'm absoltly fine with that... In fact I'm really glad to see EA give more time to devs after the shit storm that was BF4

DNAbro

Really surprised at Hardline. But at the same time i feel like it would do awful in the winter line up. 2015 becoming even more stacked.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Couldn't care less about BF but DA being delayed makes me a sad panda

What with this coming out in 2015, I can see BF5 being replaced by Battlefront in Nov. next year. Can't see em releasing 2 BF games inside a year

BouncyFrag

Whelp, I've still got Drive Club and that Mordor game to tide me over, but I really wanted Dragon Age to be the first game I played on ps4. I might just have to wait that extra month then.
#firstworldproblems

a916

Clearly a reaction to run away from the hype train that's building for Destiny...

/s but maybe not...

Gaz_RB

Yeah October was full, sort of glad Dragon Age was moved, though I sort of wish it was a different October game.

Tripon

Will be better for it than launching in the crowded October.

GTA V Oct release date incoming. They got the news early. (;

I'm glad we're seeing delays OCT was stuffed, it still is even with these.

Also I said it once and I'll say it again Battlefront next Fall, BF5 the next.

October was too crowded anyway. Give the RPGs a little room to breathe.

You guys do realize that the new Dragon Age date is launching the week before Black Friday, and the same (probable week) of Smash 4 Wii U version, and Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and whatever else gets announced.

That last week before Nov is going to be as jam packed as Oct. was.

npa189

They don't want a repeat of BF4. If Hardline shipped in any state close to BF4 they would have had to throw a match a the name and walk away. Did EA forget about 2014? what else do they even have except Dragon Age?

Top Bottom