• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA FY15 Q1: Beats expectations for quarter, Ultimate Team revenue way up, game delays

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Good to see they learned that it's not cool to release Battlefield before it's ready. Dragon Age looks awesome, so I'm happy that's still on tap for this year.

They'll all move out of October into March. Same thing happened a couple years ago.

But I think these games will be ready for the end of the year. So I could see some moving into September while others may move to late October. Mordor seems like it'll stick since they no longer have to worry about DA.

Alienous

Doing the right thing?

It's a good thing they moved the fuck out of Far Cry 4 and Call of Duty AW's way. They were destined to get stomped.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I can only guess the extra month for DAI is for QA testing and what not. The game is already content locked and feature complete. There's really nothing else to do but balance and bug fix.

You guys do realize that the new Dragon Age date is launching the week before Black Friday, and the same (probable week) of Smash 4 Wii U version, and Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and whatever else gets announced.

That last week before Nov is going to be as jam packed as Oct. was.

And then only like one game comes out in Dec. (KH). Why can't they just spread games out throughout the year. Everything pushed into an 8 week period and then they complain when their games don't sell. I can say, for me at least, even though I want multiple games, I'll only be buying maybe 2 or 3 day 1 between Oct. and Nov. Everything else will get relegated to BF sales, and/or later.

Definitely a good thing to delay Hardline. Couldn't find a single person in my group who had a nice thing to say about the beta.

I think it was only delayed cause of fps madness.. Destiny, Cod AW, MC Colection, Far Cry 4...

Pretty sure the lukewarm reception of the beta along with the backlash from BF4 made them hesitate when it came to pushing out Hardline too soon.

Smart move, and maybe we'll get a better game for it.

Don't care about BF getting delayed, Though DA getting delayed is okay by me as long as its coming out before the december holidays. I need that RPG to be out by that time.

You guys do realize that the new Dragon Age date is launching the week before Black Friday, and the same (probable week) of Smash 4 Wii U version, and Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and whatever else gets announced.

Those aren't even releasing on the same systems as DA:I though. Pokemon is handheld and I highly highly highly doubt there are many non-enthusiasts overlapping Smash and Dragon age.

Dragon Age is competing for the "mature" gaming market. A market that Shadow of Mordor, Lords of the Fallen, Assassin's Creed and several other titles are competing for in October. The first two of that list are direct competitors both being WRPGs.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Is there a reason why there are no games in Dec? Too close to Christmas? No more money to spend? Or just simply due to trying to launch before BlackFri?

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
So if Battlefield got delayed till march are we still getting the beta this fall :/ or is it going to get moved for a February release?

Lakitu

st5fu
This is very good news IMO. EA is finally learning? One can only hope. So I guess this puts the idea of a BF 5 in Fall 2015 to bed.

Plus, October was stacked.

I'm really surprised Hardline got delayed. At this point just cancel it because there will never be pre-bf4 levels of interest.

I just doubled dipped on BF4 and never really considered Hardline. I would probably spend time in some other shooter first.

Cess007

I think this is good for Battlefield Hardline. It seems that they actually learned from the awful launch of BF4.

Kampfheld

Banned
Okay. For all the hate EA gets. Kudos to them for having the balls to delay BF Hardline. Quality of the game >>> happy investors.

Im surprised Battlefield got delayed although I'm not going to give them props for it because of how BF4 launched.

Dragon Age delayed I don't mind, I'm getting Shadow of Mordor that day anyway, that and FC4 on the same day plus Halo a week before though, big month

Liha

Banned
YES, I will have more time for Alien Isolation, The Evil Within, Driveclub, Civilization: Beyond Earth, Evolve and Smash 3DS!

nk9rFGd.jpg

I was hoping to pick Dragon Age up during a black Friday sale. Oh well. Still, at least many wallets will go slightly less tortured this October.

Slightly.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Ultimate Team revenue, which is actually the biggest news here, this is another reason why EA getting rid of online passes was a no brainer, but also not particularly a good thing; Online passes meant smaller multiplayer communities in exchange for a relatively low purchase conversion fixed upfront revenue. Micro-transaction driven online games with used copies in play means a bigger community up-front, some pretty sticky revenue transaction, and revenue that continues for the life of the game.

Top Bottom