• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have bad facial tics and hand tremors. How do I deal with these in job interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Man

As some of you know I've recently been laid off. For the past 2 weeks I've been interviewing and the problems mentioned in the title have been affecting my interviews, and I don't know how to address things.

Due to medical problems and medication, I have pretty bad facial twitches and tremors in my hand and lip. These all get worse when under stress. What should I do? Telling the interviewer I'm just really nervous doesn't really cut it--if I'm -that- nervous, who'd want me for a job? Telling them that I have a medical or mental problem presents myself as a complete basket case, and the interview phase is pretty much the only time you can get rid of such a problem--once you're hired, you're in and it's much more difficult to get rid of. Not mentioning anything probably makes makes me look like an alcoholic experiencing the DTs.

I'm not really expecting any answers, but I figured I'd ask. The best my friends have given me is to say I'm nervous. Nobody seems to think that mentioning I'm on medication is a good idea.

Any ideas are appreciated. I have a new round coming up, so I figured it's a good time to ask for input.

I'm... Not entirely sure. Maybe just straightforward and address you're aware of them? You know the situation better than us, but some interviewers may appreciate the courage to address it right away.

I could only imagine telling them upfront, briefly, that you have a medical condition which creates facial tics and hand tremors, and leave it at that. Whatever frequency or intensity they happen at during the interview shouldn't throw the interviewer for a surprise as they've already been informed.

Gustav

Banned
As an interviewer, I'd say: just be honest and upfront about it.

People will realize what is going on and if you try to hide it, it comes off as low confidence or just plain weirdness.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I don't know what medication is causing it but maybe say it's a side effect from a medication you're temporarily taking for some sort of non-serious physical ailment? Fill in the details as you wish. I mean if it's an obvious tic then they're going to notice it and they're probably going to wonder, at least give them a reason to think it's for something they have no reason to be concerned about. Unless you're involuntarily knocking people's coffee mugs out of their hands and slapping them in the face I doubt they'll really give a shit.

cluto

I've heard beta blockers can help in these kinds of situations, but if you have medical problems and you're already on medication, I'm not sure how viable that solution is.

Grakl

I wouldn't mention medication. Just say that you get facial tics when you're nervous. No problem with that, I think.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Mentioning your medical condition is probably the best option. As long as it doesn't affect your work it should be fine.

That must really suck, man. What a sticky situation.

I'd just mention it beforehand. If they're going to notice, they're going to notice. If you think it'll make them feel more comfortable if they know the reason behind it, I'd be honest about it.

Foaloal

Gonna have to echo the others and say personally the only approach I can see working is to be straight up and honest, present it like it is a minor issue (which it is, really, who cares if you have a tic?), and move on. Just keep it simple and say "I have a tic, but it doesn't affect my ability to perform" or something like that.

It doesn't have to define you in any way, as you are still every bit capable of doing a job. As an interviewer, as long as it doesn't somehow impact your ability to do the job, there is no reason for me to hold something against you which is out of your control, and there is no reason for me to judge you because nobody is perfect.

I have CRPS which makes my arms shake all over the place; on every interview I just flatout tell them straight away, explaining how it affects me and how it gets worse with stress, pressure and temperature change.

All you can do, really

Zoggy

tell them you're an alcoholic and haven't had a drink in a while so you got the shakes.

then ask for a shot

Tremors/tics are a symptom of many things. I have one friend who has them from a former xanax addiction, and the other has a mild case of tourrettes. So their mind may not immediately go to where you fear.

Have you had any luck with OTC muscle relaxants?

TUSR

Banned
My typical response to reduce nervousness for interviews is to fap first.

But since I have a really bad trigeminal nerve and it looks like im squinting all the time, I address it in a casual/joking manner.

How bad would your hand tremors be if you locked your fingers together and put them in front of you on the table?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
When you first get in do some exaggerated bad ones, then say something like "Sorry, because of past trauma I sometimes get these tics"
Then just do the interview as normal. They won't ask about the trauma, and the statement it implies it's over. The regular tics wont be as bad as the exaggerated ones at the beginning so they will believe you mostly have control over them. Plus it won't show your nervousness. All this shows strength, honesty, plus some sympathy. Decent stuff.

Alphahawk

If you have a Goodwill Career Center in your area they would be able to do a mock interview with you for free. I suggest this because, for all you know, you may be making a bigger deal out of this then it is. You also could go over strategies with them about how to approach this issue. (This is also free, as are all Career Center services).

I think some level of honesty and transparency would be your best bet. I don't think simply saying that you are nervous helps because the physical response is atypical, whereas mentioning something regarding a side effect or condition will give the interviewer(s) sufficient notice. How you mention that and the level of specificity, if you go that route, is the toughest part, I think. You want to clarify, but if you oversell the problem, it could be what defines you to the interviewer(s).

If you do decide to be forward about it, I think you would want to specifically practice relaying just that information, preferably with feedback.

White Man

How bad and how frequent do they occur during the interview process, WM?

Once any tension hits, the tremors are pretty constant. To describe what sort of tension sets these off, making a controversial post will make it difficult to type.

Facial tics kind of come in batches. They'll be absent for a few minutes and then I'll get them hard for a few. These aren't quite as stress related; they're kind of constant-ish.

Have you had any luck with OTC muscle relaxants?

Never tried them. Any recs? I cqan't take anything that contains an NSAID. I'm going to ask my psychiatrist about some sort of relaxant when I see her in 2 weeks, but that's 2 weeks of potential interviews hurt.

How bad would your hand tremors be if you locked your fingers together and put them in front of you on the table?

My arms shaking are still visible. My go to move is to hold my hands together under whatever table I'm sitting in front of. It's not perfect, but it minimizes things.

To everyone saying honesty is the best policy, I appreciate your response, and the only reason, I'm not quoting you is because a number of you have recommended it.

andthebeatgoeson

Don't really have a great option out of those three. Although, the current era is much more sympathetic to medical issues than ever before. I would explain that you have a medical issue that requires medication and the tics are a side effect. You don't have to go into detail about any 'mental health' issues.

They may have a question about if it will hinder you performing on the job and that is job specific. If they are a good employer, they want to avoid discrimination and are probably trying to be accommodating.

And it's probably a talking point. If you can truthfully talk about it, you'll probably be less anxious and you may get the chance to distinguish yourself. And, there's not a lot of ways to go around this. Sounds like all the reason to take it head on.

Remember folks, your confidential health information is yours alone. They should only want to know if you can do your job. If you can, even with reasonable accommodations, they don't need to know specifics.

White Man

As an addendum, I've thought about making this thread in regard to getting pulled over by the police. I got locked up a lot -before- I had hand tremors. I know they specifically check for them, so I know now I'm fucked if I ever get pulled over again.

Makai

Are there other objects that work as well as steering wheels? Maybe a notebook binder? You could always hide your hands under a table if the interview is in a conference room.

Alienous

Most people I know with anything similar just mention it upfront. A "Just before we get started, I might have some facial twitches as the interview progresses. When I'm in these kinds of one-to-one situations they can pop up". Something like that to preemptively diffuse it. It might even be endearing.

Don't mention the medication. As long as this isn't a retail job I can't see it being a big issue.

Agree with the others, advise the interviewers about your condition, and keep it simple. Wouldn't mention that's it's medication or nervousness unless asked for further clarification. Simply say that you are aware of it and that it might happen during the interview.

GL white man!

also, sympathies about the being pulled over thing. Shaking hand is not the best thing to exhibit once the cops pull you up :(

TrueGrime

Once any tension hits, the tremors are pretty constant. To describe what sort of tension sets these off, making a controversial post will make it difficult to type.

Facial tics kind of come in batches. They'll be absent for a few minutes and then I'll get them hard for a few. These aren't quite as stress related; they're kind of constant-ish.

Damn difficult situation. No matter what you say to the interviewer it can be a toss up. Admitting nervousness can be both good and bad. Some interviewers might appreciate the honesty and others can see your nervousness as a detriment. The same thing can be said for medication. It's a toss up and depends on the interviewer.

See if you can try and have something calm you down before the interview. I wouldn't mix medication but that's a possibility too. Also, maintain a good posture and keep your hands off the table, hidden, and in your lap. Another good exercise is to have a friend sit with you and mock interview. Another set of eyes will go a long way to seeing if your tics are really that distracting. I personally would not recommend revealing anything medical or dealing with medication but if you have to say you were nervous do it at the end of the interview. Some interviewers expect people to say they're nervous at the beginning or during the interview. The interviewer would then reassure the interviewee that they should be fine and to relax and if you can't do this it might be a negative towards you.

Also, try doing something that you can control to see if it can keep you calm. When I get nervous (and I know this is nowhere near your problem with tics) I fidget a lot. My hands especially. I got used to taking my mind off this by curling and uncurling my toes. It's a distraction that helped and didn't hinder me from being attentive to the interviewer.

Ryaaan14

Banned
If I were interviewing someone with that condition I would be sensitive to it and not expect an explanation of any sort.

Of course, some employers may judge you for it, but I feel like bringing it up will make it sound like you're making excuses for something.

Rad-

As an interviewer, the best way to go is to say something like "Apologies in advance if my face tics or hand trembles, I get that when nervous. And I really want this job so I'm a bit nervous".

Otherwise I would think you are a drunk.

As an interviewer, I'd say: just be honest and upfront about it.

People will realize what is going on and if you try to hide it, it comes off as low confidence or just plain weirdness.
Totally this, I appreciate candidates being open about things like this first. No need to apologize about it, just say it happens.

Never tried them. Any recs? I cqan't take anything that contains an NSAID. I'm going to ask my psychiatrist about some sort of relaxant when I see her in 2 weeks, but that's 2 weeks of potential interviews hurt.

No recommendations, sorry. I suggested something OTC because I thought you may not have had access to healthcare.

My afflicted friend had something perscribed.

Maybe try Valerian root? A google search shows that some people use it to treat mild tremors. Though it can act as a sedative too.

I used to take it to help me come down from other stuff and get to sleep.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
OP as others have mentioned most def try to be up front about it. Since generally in this day and age folks are a lot more understanding about the various health related issues folks may have as long as said person is upfront and honest about it. If they turn you down over that even after you were honest and straightforward personally its not a place worth working for.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I know you have mental health issues and so do I. Thus far the combination has been absolutely negative. So just good luck.

HR departments and training is horid.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Like others said:

- Be honest about the tremors and ticks, but don't mention the meds. Will give the wrong impression. If you don't mention the tremors and ticks, the interviewer will focus on them more than they should as they wonder what is this.

When you mention the ticks and other stuff briefly in the beginning, but carry yourself confidently from that point forwards, no matter what ticks you have doesn't matter.

- For the cops, can you get some document from a doctor explaining what symptoms you have and why to show to the police? Maybe some contact person in case they want to check the facts.

Polari

I thought that Selby Jr. quote was wrong, but he must have said it loads wording it a little differently each time.

As for the other stuff I have no idea. Nerves kill me in job interviews. I seem to luck out eventually but it can take a while and be pretty crushing. You'll get something though. Some people will always be more sympathetic to these things than others.

Nilaul

Make-up.
vBSe61M.jpg

Hides everything; including your eyebrows if over done

I would honestly be straight up honest with the interviewer(s). That way they can understand and perhaps make you feel more comfortable. Good luck White Man

Hold a pen? I usually do this in meetings in case I need to jot anything down, so hopefully it wouldn't look unnatural

Can't help you with the facial tics unfortunately. Maybe look into muscle relaxants, although I don't know anything about them.

Dali

Not really expecting any answers? Well fuck you too.

To answer your question, if you can't hide it, then own it. Embrace your perceived short comings.

Rich!

I've heard beta blockers can help in these kinds of situations, but if you have medical problems and you're already on medication, I'm not sure how viable that solution is.

Try this. I failed my driving test five times due to nerves. I was physically shaking each time and had to stop. My driving was fine, but nerves weren't. Got some beta blockers from the doctor and I passed my test with a single minor fault.

Dunno what prices are like where you are OP but here in the UK, the £8 that a medical prescription costs (that one pound price increase on medicine still stings, bastards) is worth paying for if it gets you through.

If you are already on medication though...well, maybe it won't help. It did for me anyway, but I had no condition other than stresss and nerves.

As some of you know I've recently been laid off. For the past 2 weeks I've been interviewing and the problems mentioned in the title have been affecting my interviews, and I don't know how to address things.

Due to medical problems and medication, I have pretty bad facial twitches and tremors in my hand and lip. These all get worse when under stress. What should I do? Telling the interviewer I'm just really nervous doesn't really cut it--if I'm -that- nervous, who'd want me for a job? Telling them that I have a medical or mental problem presents myself as a complete basket case, and the interview phase is pretty much the only time you can get rid of such a problem--once you're hired, you're in and it's much more difficult to get rid of. Not mentioning anything probably makes makes me look like an alcoholic experiencing the DTs.

I'm not really expecting any answers, but I figured I'd ask. The best my friends have given me is to say I'm nervous. Nobody seems to think that mentioning I'm on medication is a good idea.

Any ideas are appreciated. I have a new round coming up, so I figured it's a good time to ask for input.

You are human, so it's understandable that you will be nervous! The interviewers should know from experience that its a very nerve wrecking thing to do, so I'd hope they wont judge on that! In regards to the facial tics and hand tremors, you might want to think of giving them a heads up so they understand going into the interview that you do indeed do things that aren't under your control. Maybe just telling them you have a medical problem and some of the medication you take gives you tics and stuff, as a precautionary, would be for the better. You don't have to go into full out detail about it, just let them know so they can ready for whatever. I dunno, sometimes I feel like it's just best to be honest about things to get it off your chest.

Sorry, I'm not an interviewer so I don't know if any of this will help, but hopefully it just gives you a bit of an idea to move towards to!

Edit: There's a lot of great advice in here lol! Study this thread :p You gonna be nervous free when you get in there bro ! You can do it man, I have faith.

oneils

I know it's two weeks away, but when you get the chance, it might be a good idea to ask your doctor for some advice on how to explain your condition. They may have some useful advice.

My own thought would be to explain that I get tremors due to a medical condition (and don't explain the condition?) but it does not affect the quality of my work and here are some references that can vouch for that.

Gaspode_T

That used to happen to me a lot and doesn't anymore, I tried to think about what has changed since then...the main thing I can think of is that compared to when I was younger, the relative importance of one interview is considered less, "if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out". Basically, compared to when I was younger I don't give a crap anymore about small things or even failure...bring on failure, it will make me stronger and wiser. It's not confidence it's more like...giving up the need to worry about the other person's feelings to the point you make yourself feel bad. That's just my example at least.

Culex

Banned
Is it a case where you can forgo the meds for a day or two without any bad reactions?

Do the tremors go away if you're not taking them?

White Man

Is it a case where you can forgo the meds for a day or two without any bad reactions?

Do the tremors go away if you're not taking them?

No, the med in question takes a few days to clear my bloodstream. I'd probably have a whole slew of other problems if I stopped taking it anyway.

Thanks for all the advice, folks. Interviewing sucks enough, and I never even factored for this being a problem.

This also affects phone interviews. My hand will shake so badly that it's difficult to keep a grip on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom