• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight sales breakdown

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/08/sales-one-month/

It's a long post, so go and read it for the details.

kickstarterbreakdown.png

first_week_sales2-630x374.png

first_month_sales2-630x374.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's a pretty good showing for Wii U and 3DS.

I suspect the Steam proportion will grow a lot once they start doing Steam sales, but especially given full price that's quite solid.

Crazy numbers, congrats, the game is great.

And just for reference, Steam PC codes were $5 less than Wii U and 3DS codes on the Kickstarter.

Salsa

And just for reference, Steam PC codes were $5 less than Wii U and 3DS codes on the Kickstarter.

I swapped from PC to 3DS after pledging and shot them an email saying to pay the extra $5 and there were nice enough to swap the code for free

glad I played it on 3DS, seemed like the best fit

So... does it mean 60k sold on 3DS in the US ? Or do I misread it ?
Because if so, that would be a good point of comparison of all time eShop sales on 3DS.

bender

What time is it?
Surprised at the GoG percentage. I'll double dip on GoG once it goes on sale. I went with the Wii U version at release.

Phil S.

Banned
Those Wii/3DS numbers really surprise me, considering the game is not available in Europe. Very happy for the team, as they told me how much they put into this, even went without pay for a good while.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet, congrats to Yacht Club! I love the game.

Murrah

Banned
Really surprising Wii U (and 3DS) numbers. Did my part by purchasing Wii U version on launch day, and I'd gladly double dip on something else when a decent sale comes along

Hero

Yacht Club Games, the swagger ladies and gentlemen that they are, just released a blog post detailing some interesting tidbits of information on how the well-received Shovel Knight is doing so far!

Posting tidbits of information here, as always, click and read the link for more information!

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/08/sales-one-month/

First we have the Kickstarter Reward Breakdown:

dGjAJFJ.png

64% on PC is staggering! Just shy of 16,000 "pre-order" sales and I'm proud to be among that number.

YCG decides to break down their estimates on how much a game "costs" these days since there's been a lot of talk recently, especially in light of Mighty Number 9's voice acting stretch goal.

SnFJCq4.png

Unfortunately, we’ve now run out of options – the only thing left to do is cut the amount allocated for each person by half. So now we’re running on $5k man months – which is extremely low. At first, that sounds like $60k per year, but with the company costs, taxes, etc, in reality, it’s more like $30k for each of us over the course of the year… and that’s before any taxes.

At this point you have to be thinking, $30k minus taxes for one year’s salary, a grueling work pace (think: 12-18 hours a day, 7 days a week) and no stability whatsoever….why bother? An NES game, that’s not going to sell. The 80′s are over, man, get with the times! The cool kids are all into the AAA explosive action sequences. You’ll never make it!

Finally, first week sales:

OX2OvEg.png

75,000 copies in the first week is excellent! A much more even distribution among the platforms as well.

There are a few reasons we think our preorder prediction ended up being such a conservative estimate. One is…we were a Kickstarter! That’s not quite the same thing as a preorder. People could only attain the preorder for a limited time, so the stats aren’t 100% aligned with what a preorder would do. We think due to the PC nature of Kickstarter, we saw a higher amount of sales on Nintendo’s platform when the game actually got released. Nintendo users are more inclined to buy the game day one rather than through a preorder on Kickstarter. Finally, the preorder prediction isn’t a set in stone statistic, but more like a guideline for what to expect. We had done a lot of promotion and marketing at conventions and on media sites to prove ourselves over the course of the year, and we think people responded to it in kind! Nintendo also did an amazing job supporting us through their store placement and own marketing channels.

Finally, first month sales:

Ix9HnFD.png

Note: this includes review copies and Kickstarter copies

Overall, we’re extremely happy with the sales! We don’t have sales data on many other digital games to offer a comparison, but we do know it’s doing very well for our company – meaning the six of us! This means we can keep our current course and continue making the stretch goal content without fear of disbanding or seeking additional funding. It means we can continue living our dreams producing awesome games for our incredible fans (and soon-to-be fans)! And we still have lots of markets to release the game in – Australia, Europe, Japan…although those markets are typically less when compared to America, they will definitely help contribute to our next efforts. The steady supply of free stretch goal content updates should also provide a nice boost in sales once each is released.

After the Kickstarter project ended, we all discussed our sales goals. The number that most of us settled upon was….when all was said and done, 150,000 copies sold in total. That was our high point! So thank you, everyone, who supported us and made it possible for Shovel Knight to surpass that in just the first month. We are blown away!

It’s been a crazy ride! We’re not done yet though. We’re going to keep working our hardest to keep this game loved, played, and selling like hotcakes. Our new goal is the quest to 1 million sold, to truly solidify Shovel Knight as a modern platinum classic! For all of you who had doubts that a Wii U game or a digital game on a Nintendo platform could sell, we hope these facts show that a good game on any system, marketed the right way, can sell.

Great to hear Shovel Knight is doing well! Looking forward to the free content updates throughout the rest of the year.

gogogow

Wow, really interesting. It did/doing so well on Nintendo platforms. I haven't been following the development of this game, but why wasn't this game released on Sony/MS platforms?

topplehat

Went 3DS myself, but saw a lot of people double dipping across platforms. I had a hard time choosing between 3DS and Wii U. Would've gone Steam but the sales will come there, just had to have it Day 1.

Corpekata

Banned
I get people being surprised by the Wii U numbers, but why are people surprised by the 3ds numbers? Just the digital thing on Nintendo platforms?

Hero

Damn, I must've been doing my thread while this was being posted. Someone needs to lock my thread.

Great sales all around. Surprised by the Wii U number in all honesty.

After the Kickstarter project ended, we all discussed our sales goals. The number that most of us settled upon was….when all was said and done, 150,000 copies sold in total. That was our high point! So thank you, everyone, who supported us and made it possible for Shovel Knight to surpass that in just the first month. We are blown away!

It’s been a crazy ride! We’re not done yet though. We’re going to keep working our hardest to keep this game loved, played, and selling like hotcakes. Our new goal is the quest to 1 million sold, to truly solidify Shovel Knight as a modern platinum classic! For all of you who had doubts that a Wii U game or a digital game on a Nintendo platform could sell, we hope these facts show that a good game on any system, marketed the right way, can sell.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow, really interesting. It did/doing so well on Nintendo platforms. I haven't been following the development of this game, but why wasn't this game released on Sony/MS platforms?

They had six people and weren't using something like Unity so they decided to tackle ports like that later.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
That's pretty awesome for Yacht Club so far!

They had six people and weren't using something like Unity so they decided to tackle ports like that later.

Yup. They only have 2 developers too and a bunch of stretch goals they need to address, in addition to getting the Wii U and 3DS versions released in Europe.

To put the graphs into #s (not that it's hard or anything...)
after 1 month -
Steam sales ~ 66.6K
3DS sales ~ 59.4K (US only since it hasn't released elsewhere)
Wii U sales ~ 48.6K (US only since it hasn't released elsewhere)
Humble sales ~ 3.6K
GoG ~ 1.8K

They did a good job of marketing this game from day one, and I always expected that to translate into sales success on all platforms it launched on. Glad to see that that was the case, the game (and team) deserves it.

Top Bottom