• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight sales breakdown

gogogow

They had six people and weren't using something like Unity so they decided to tackle ports like that later.

Hmmm...interesting, but you'd think an indie dev would use Unity, since it's free for Nintendo indie devs, no? Anyway, thanks for anwering.

They need to hurry with bringing it to MS and Sony platforms. Sales would be much greater.

Absolutely. Hopefully some of the money they've made here will be aimed at more ports (if that's even something they're entertaining). I've really loved watching LPs and the GB Quick Look of this game. Glad that consumers are rewarding Yacht Club Games for all their hard work.

KooopaKid

Banned
Wii U and 3DS will increase by quite a bit once it's released in Europe. If the game is released soon here. September is the limit.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wow, really interesting. It did/doing so well on Nintendo platforms. I haven't been following the development of this game, but why wasn't this game released on Sony/MS platforms?
ex-wayforward devs which means they had a good relationship with nintendo, they would also have nintendo fan support, the style of the game lends itself the most towards nintendo platforms and nintendo was willing to support and advertise the game.

Hmmm...interesting, but you'd think an indie dev would use Unity, since it's free for Nintendo indie devs, no? Anyway, thanks for anwering.

3DS doesn't have Unity support, and they've had experience making games on handhelds and Wii U before (they made Mighty Milky Way for DSiWare, and Mighty Switch Force HD was their last project, IIRC, before leaving WayForward).

Hero

They had six people and weren't using something like Unity so they decided to tackle ports like that later.

The game was being designed for 3DS as well so at the time (and maybe still?) Unity is not running on that.

Also bear in mind that Nintendo essentially gave/lent Yacht Club Games Wii U and 3DS development kits at no cost to help them start this aspect of their endeavor.

SparkTR

Steam has 75 million users. You wouldn't know it.

The 3DS also sold 44m units. Though I think the outcome of having that large playerbase is that more games are coming to Steam these days than both of those Nintendo systems combined.

Chris R

PC numbers are going to spike this winter. Game goes on flash sale or daily sale and watch those numbers explode.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Thats why indie games are awesome.

Now imagine a major pub trying to do the same... you end up with a downloadable game costing closer to $10MM, just because their overhead is so much more. They can't afford to retain talent and competitive tools for the price Yacht Club pays it's employees.

And can you make $10MM back with these numbers?
Not easily...

Which is why it's a rarer thing, and retail is so important, and $60.

jett

D-Member
Prettay, prettay good. That's scary how they didn't budget the game appropriately though. We lucked out with SK, but Kickstarter really is a risky proposition. :p

edit: really though, this game deserves all the sales. GOTY so far.

gogogow

ex-wayforward devs which means they had a good relationship with nintendo, they would also have nintendo fan support, the style of the game lends itself the most towards nintendo platforms and nintendo was willing to support and advertise the game.

3DS doesn't have Unity support, and they've had experience making games on handhelds and Wii U before (they made Mighty Milky Way for DSiWare, and Mighty Switch Force HD was their last project, IIRC, before leaving WayForward).

I see, makes sense now. Thanks guys.

rjc571

Banned
It's amazing how little support 3DS gets from indies when the big ones that do come out are nothing but success stories.

After the Kickstarter project ended, we all discussed our sales goals. The number that most of us settled upon was….when all was said and done, 150,000 copies sold in total.
Our new goal is the quest to 1 million sold, to truly solidify Shovel Knight as a modern platinum classic!
That must feel pretty good for them, already surpassing their sales goal and now aiming for 1 million.

jett

D-Member
If I'm reading that correctly, virt's salary is 240k? I said gotdayum, dude's getting paid. Where's his Ferrari at.

Not surprised by the strong 3DS/Wii U performance. It's a very "Nintendo" looking game that fans on the platform would gravitate to.

cacildo

Congratulations, meninos!

I hope you guys make a 3d game next!

(Own the wiiu version. I dont like the genre but im really enjoying the game. Took me a while)

(ALSO, very nice of em to release the sales breakdown. I was really curious about it)

CDX

hmm... So Wii U + 3DS beat out PC. I would've thought more PC people would've bought it.

Those seem to be great Nintendo sales considering Steam was a worldwide release and 3DS & Wii U was just North America. The Wii U & 3DS percentage should increase even more when it's released in Europe.

phanphare

Banned
That's pretty awesome for Yacht Club so far!

Yup. They only have 2 developers too and a bunch of stretch goals they need to address, in addition to getting the Wii U and 3DS versions released in Europe.

To put the graphs into #s (not that it's hard or anything...)
after 1 month -
Steam sales ~ 66.6K
3DS sales ~ 59.4K (US only since it hasn't released elsewhere)
Wii U sales ~ 48.6K (US only since it hasn't released elsewhere)
Humble sales ~ 3.6K
GoG ~ 1.8K

those are pretty damn solid number for being US-only! good on them! they made a fantastic game and deserve every sale they get. Wii U version here because those dpad options........oh yes. match made in heaven.

I'll probably double and then triple dip once the game gets marked down on 3DS and Steam. It really, really lived up to the hype and I love playing it on the Wii U pad.

Mrbob

I'm pretty surprised at those PC numbers considering the game released in the middle of the summer sale on Steam with no discount. Strong 3DS showing too. Guess there are other crazies like me who buy Nintendo digital games without a true account system.

thefro

Not surprised by the strong 3DS/Wii U performance. It's a very "Nintendo" looking game that fans on the platform would gravitate to.

Yep, it's also been marketed very well by both YCG and Nintendo. Win/win for both. Shovel Knight's had pretty strong legs on the eShop and great word of mouth on Miiverse so I'm expecting it to have a long tail on those platforms.

Interested to see how it does on the Nintendo platforms in Europe, Australia, and Japan.

zhorkat

They sold less copies through GOG than they did through Humble Bundle? I just checked and Shovel Knight doesn't appear to be on the Humble Store. Did they really sell more copies through the Humble Widget on their site than they did through GOG?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes, that's more than likely not right, but that's how the article makes it appear. :p

It's derived from the ideal scenario here:

butts-630x618.png

$10,000 * 24 months (two years) = $240,000 per employee

Top Bottom