• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity Info from Game Informer

danthefan

The auto fail thing was so shit. I enjoyed Black Flag but if they had retained some of the mechanics in the next game I probably wouldn't be buying it. All sounds very positive though.

jett

D-Member
Been in development since 2010. After Brotherhood a team broke off and started on Unity

Are they really peddling this BS? They said that same shit about AC3.

edit: that's good info though, thanks Deadly Cyclone.

Amir0x

Banned
Huh, OP didn't mention it but it is worth noting that Arno is not an ancestor of Desmond.

I honestly have no idea where the modern day is going any more with these games. AC3 kinda killed it for me, and AC4 made me question WTF is going on anymore.

But I have kinda accepted the fact that I play these games for the stuff going on in the past, but it is bugging me a bit.

hehe, to me that's a bonus. If I never have to play another future segment again it'd not come too soon :p

sjay1994

When we constantly make fun of the fact an entire country is making AC games it is believable. They splinter of into little teams to research the history and gather gameplay ideas. Not to mention the fact when a previous game comes out they have the time to fix up the gameplay accordingly.

Also AC3 and ACR started development in 2009.

ACB was a quick job because they already made rome for AC2, but couldn't fit it in.

yeah i remember when they were talking up the new improved combat of Assassin's Creed III

lolololol
Well it was fairly improved.

Sure they didn't improve it enough to be worth of being called "combat" to begin with, but it's still miles better than Parry simulator

Orayn

A lot of this actually sounds somewhat promising. I may have to change my timeframe for buying it from Summer Sale 2015 to Winter Sale 2014.

Can't see myself paying full price for any AssCreed game, however. I enjoy the series, but I still think of them as "junk food" games that provide mild to moderate levels of entertainment—hopefully punctuated by a few memorable high points—spread over way too many hours.

Arukado

Sure they didn't improve it enough to be worth of being called "combat" to begin with, but it's still miles better than Parry simulator
AC3 was a parry simulator too. And the multi kill parries were the icing on the cake.

All of this sounds promising, but they really need to avoid the checklist gameplay.

Altairre

They have to improve the mission design for that all to really matter but it sounds somewhat promising. It's always difficult to make both stealth and combat equally viable and I wish they'd focus on stealth but I realise it would be too much to ask from such a big title. Still if they manage to actually manage to make the stealth not feel like shit like in all previous entries I'll give this a shot.

Toa TAK

Banned
I am going to remain skeptical until I see how this is executed. it SOUNDs good, but in my experience everything in the Assassin's Creed games tend to sound good before you play it and realize all the caveats there are
Just wait, in order to get 100% synch, you can't be detected in the vein of insta-fail.
Sounds really promising.

Happy about no ships, it was a chore to complete the last game.
Yes. Boarding is fun and all, but beyond the warfare, sailing is boring. Especially when there's nothing to do but collect crap, and I'm expecting as much in Unity as well.
AC3 was just overall disappointing with Connor as a character, and the open landscape of the wilderness just sucked to me.

Eh, I think Connor is fantastic. Not every Assassin has to be another Ezio 2.0 like Haytham or Edward. Hopefully Arno and even Shay in Rogue are their own and not another "charismatic" assassin. Broaden the personalities some more.

But then again, I felt the same as you did with Ezio when ACII came out. Couldn't get into him and got bored of Italy midway through the game. I liked him more in his other two games (did I mention I loathe the fact he got two more games? Even if Rome was already in development), as he became older and more experienced, and able to pass that on to others (even Templar allies).

Glass Rebel

I'm 100% sure that skill leveling will be the same kinda shit as in Far Cry 3 where you unlock every worthwhile skill halfway through the game.

The no-autofail thing is appreciated but it's a solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place. The missions affected by this were shit to begin with.

Truant

I fear that the dynamic missions will somehow be more janky and overdesigned than they need to be. Design like this should be entirely systemic and feel natural.

hydruxo

Very excited for Unity, but then again I enjoy all the AC games. Unity just has my attention more than the others because of all the changes they are making.

jett

D-Member

I consider it much worse. Counter was dumbed down to a ridiculous notion. The window was increased by an insane amount and you had a giant counter button on screen indicating you when to do it as if it was even needed. Combat was almost as much on autopilot as freerunning. Combat in AC3 and AC4 feels absolutely dreadful to me. It's some of the most unsatisfying shit I've experienced in a basic game mechanic in a major AAA title in recent times.

Frankly, when it comes to combat in ACU the only thing they've been very clear on is that they've removed chain-killing. The rest is pretty nebulous.

When we constantly make fun of the fact an entire country is making AC games it is believable. They splinter of into little teams to research the history and gather gameplay ideas. Not to mention the fact when a previous game comes out they have the time to fix up the gameplay accordingly.

Also AC3 and ACR started development in 2009.

ACB was a quick job because they already made rome for AC2, but couldn't fit it in.

I think in the end that sort of comment just means very little.

Alienous

I fear that the dynamic missions will somehow be more janky and overdesigned than they need to be. Design like this should be entirely systemic and feel natural.

I'm actually worried about the opposite. It might just be the same tail-chase-track mission in different locations of the city.

iNvid02

i think if you fail a tailing mission it wont make you start over, it will turn into a chase and then once you kill the guy he will have something on him allowing you to get the info that way rather than eavesdropping.

simple workaround avoids so much frustration, but fuck those tailing missions should be limited anyway

So this is the team that worked on Brotherhood? I have a very little reason to worry, since IMO ACB was the best from the series.

true. but they also have the guy who directed revelations doing this, he left the industry after rev but came back pretty quickly.

Matush

So this is the team that worked on Brotherhood? I have a very little reason to worry, since IMO ACB was the best from the series.

Orayn

You can't really talk about it in terms of "the" team that worked on this or that Assassin's Creed game, as they're all nightmarish Venn diagrams with tons of contributors. Talking about the "Brotherhood team" just indicates that the team may still exist as a recognizable group, and that may have contributed a large-ish amount to Unity.

pull-me-back-in.gif

Huh?

Neo Member
I liked it better than AC1-ACr's combat of turtling and counter killing.

This. I like AC3 and 4's combat just fine, the AC1 combat is easily my least favorite because of how tedious it was. The combat's never been amazing but AC3 and 4's is at least more fun and less grating than 1's and even 2's, to a lesser extent.

Eh, I think Connor is fantastic. Not every Assassin has to be another Ezio 2.0 like Haytham or Edward. Hopefully Arno and even Shay in Rogue are their own and not another "charismatic" assassin. Broaden the personalities some more.

But then again, I felt the same as you did with Ezio when ACII came out. Couldn't get into him and got bored of Italy midway through the game. I liked him more in his other two games (did I mention I loathe the fact he got two more games? Even if Rome was already in development), as he became older and more experienced, and able to pass that on to others (even Templar allies).

For me, I like the idea of Connor, as I'm not a huge fan of the prospect of every character being a bid by Ubisoft to make another Ezio now that they saw how so many hated Connor, but I do think they failed in really making that connection between him and the audience that they could've. As far as the more serious protagonists go, I think I actually liked Altair more, though I've not played Liberation so I don't know where Aveline falls on the spectrum.

I'm actually worried about the opposite. It might just be the same tail-chase-track mission in different locations of the city.

This kind of thing concerns me too, for instance AC3's side missions seemed to be an attempt at having less structure than the other games' side missions had and its side missions are some of my least favorite things in the entire series.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

from the interviews I've watched, it seems like the Brotherhood team is spearheading the core single-player stuff while Ubisoft Toronto is handling the co-op missions.

edit: that's good info though, thanks Deadly Cyclone.

I remember that shit. "We had to release all those Assassins Creed 2 half-sequels in order to afford making Assassins Creed 3 into the masterpiece it is". Ugh.

Toa TAK

Banned
For me, I like the idea of Connor, as I'm not a huge fan of the prospect of every character being a bid by Ubisoft to make another Ezio now that they saw how so many hated Connor, but I do think they failed in really making that connection between him and the audience that they could've. As far as the more serious protagonists go, I think I actually liked Altair more, though I've not played Liberation so I don't know where Aveline falls on the spectrum.
Aveline is a little bit more lighthearted for sure. I wouldn't put here in the same sphere as Altair and Connor.
This is directed by the director of Revelations? Not sure about this...

I know your fears, but funny enough, Revelations was the game that got me back into the series and is my favorite of the Ezio trilogy after being bored with 2 & Brohood.

Amir0x

Banned
the AC 3 gameplay was terrible, but it DID make me feel like a Bad Ass with that tomahawk.

i guess it was neat when he would use the tomahawk to pull someone's leg out from under them

but i don't really need to be a badass, I just want a game to feel great to play :p

i guess it was neat when he would use the tomahawk to pull someone's leg out from under them

but i don't really need to be a badass, I just want a game to feel great to play :p

Yeah.

Also, HOLY SHIT. The same team that made Brotherhood is making this?!?!?!?? AGH YEAHHHHHHHHHHH! Brotherhood is one of my favorite games ever and IMO the best AC game. Hell yeah!

Joco

The new game mechanics sound promising. Too bad the setting is as boring as hell for me.

I'm still (probably foolishly) waiting for a feudal Japan or Chinese dynasty era setting. Until then I don't see myself getting back into the series.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Aveline is a little bit more lighthearted for sure. I wouldn't put here in the same sphere as Altair and Connor.

I know your fears, but funny enough, Revelations was the game that got me back into the series and is my favorite of the Ezio trilogy after being bored with 2 & Brohood.

ACR is the only game in the series that I actively dislike

Amir0x

Banned
The new game mechanics sound promising. Too bad the setting is as boring as hell for me.

I'm still (probably foolishly) waiting for a feudal Japan or Chinese dynasty era setting. Until then I don't see myself getting back into the series.

For me the only important thing to any setting is how convenient and well designed the major cities are for the free running traversal. Feudal Japanese cities would be atrocious for Assassin Creed gameplay, as much as the history itself might be fascinating.

I can't really stand the AC games so far that have had mediocre or terrible cities, such as ACIII.

cackhyena

For me the only important thing to any setting is how convenient and well designed the major cities are for the free running traversal. Feudal Japanese cities would be atrocious for Assassin Creed gameplay, as much as the history itself might be fascinating.

I can't really stand the AC games so far that have had mediocre or terrible cities, such as ACIII.
I think Paris could be pretty boss for traversal, coupled with the new way you get around. I'm looking forward to an AC game for the first time in a loooong time.

Gray Matter

I still don't understand how multiple games of the same franchise can be in development at the same exact time while "staying true" to the franchise.

So 2010... AC: revelations, AC3, AC4, unity and liberation are under some sort of development.

Auctopus

Wow, they've actually fixed quite a few things I didn't like about the gameplay. Not buying that 30k crowds until I'm sat down playing it in November, though.

In development since 2010 and they couldn't animate a woman?!

A lot of the changes are definitely for the best, no sailing and no auto failing of missions is great.

Amir0x

Banned
I think Paris could be pretty boss for traversal, coupled with the new way you get around. I'm looking forward to an AC game for the first time in a loooong time.

oh I agree. Paris is actually a great city for this purpose. That's why I'm more interested in Unity than I have been for some time for an AC game. But I always have to be cautious around AC games, because some of them have some really terrible design decisions that ruin everything. Gotta be a skeptic until I play the thing :p

Tookay

*New cover system makes hiding easier and you can now peek.
*Guards no longer automatically know where you are at all times once alerted, they will now search your last known location which makes it easier to get away and even flank them.
*Combat is now harder. You may be able to beat 2-3 guys but 5 is too many. You have to pay attention to what weapons enemies have now. "For the first time, we have boss fights that are about parrying at the right time, making sure you dodge, and not spamming the attack button."

Ubisoft, where basic game design comes to fruition 8 games into a series.

Top Bottom