• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Microsoft completely abandoned Kinect?

Sorry if some version of this topic has already been made today, but is Microsoft doing anything with Kinect going forward? None of the bundles they announced have it in the box. They haven't announced any more games for the device. It seems like it's going to be even less used than the original. So is Kinect essentially for media related features now?

Yes.

Next question?

EDIT: Well, there are SOME games coming that you will need Kinect. Things like Just Dance, Dance Central, and more. It isn't completely dead, it will still have a market. Just everyone won't have one, which is not a bad thing.

Skele7on

Banned
No it's just on the back burner.

Wait till Fantasia comes out we'll see it come back.

I personally love having mine, I don't get the hate.

dugdug

Banned
Phil Spencer retweeted a tweet calling him the destroyer of mandatory kinect.

Pretty sure they're done with it.

De-bundling is huge. It's a lot harder to justify developing Kinect software if you're going to have to convince a large portion of your audience to buy an expensive accessory that they probably don't want.

They seem to have dropped their focus on it completely, yeah. I took note of the bundles all missing Kinect as well.

I like my Kinect and the voice commands are great but I'm not sure how I would choose if I was buying an Xbox One now (instead of at launch).

shandy706

As the user base rises there will be games that take advantage of it. I'm hoping for some next-gen versions of Kinect 1 game series for my kids.

My 360/Kinect won't last forever, and my daughters will probably still want to play Kinect dance games for MANY years.

Phil Spencer Retweeted this, lol. It's dead

fw6m5uw.png

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kinect is Microsoft's Vita.

It's a value add that complements the main device they're trying to sell, but the company will generally pretend that it doesn't exist at all.

SerTapTap

They abandoned Kinect at E3 this year when they quietly relaunched Xbox One as a games-oriented device. Harmonix seemed so out of place.

They're not going to like, remove Kinect support or anything, but not one bundle has Kinect. They stopped showing Kinect in most advertising material, certainly at conferences. It's basically the same as the PS4 camera now. Though it's install base might be higher simply due to the large number of launch units. But developers don't seem to care. Sports Rivals seems to have flopped and that was, if anything was, their biggest Kinect title.

They're going to sell it standalone though, right?

Phil Spencer Retweeted this, lol. It's dead

fw6m5uw.png

Holy shit. That's...kind of rude even though I agree it was a good decision.

Kinect is Microsoft's Vita.

It's a value add that complements the main device they're trying to sell, but the company will generally pretend that it doesn't exist at all.

I don't know Shahid and his team managed to drum up a lot of support for Vita even where it's selling like shit. Kinect.....seems like they spent a good deal of money on it, and the first sign of trouble are completely separating it out of the system lineup. It's like some niche accessory going forward.

Bgamer90

Banned
Still future games coming for the device and I'm sure they will try to figure out ways to make kinect sell to some people when it's sold separately (sure this had an impact on Dance Central being digital only -- bundling purposes).

Definitely isn't a main point for the system anymore. MS has now just made it an optional feature.

Really interested in seeing if Cortana will come to the Xbox One. Would be surprised if it doesn't come but we'll see what happens.

ShutterMunster

I do feel like a complete ass for buying one at launch. I might trade the whole shebang in for a white unit with Sunset Overdrive. Kinect 2.0 has been a bust and it's voice detection/system is awful.

npa189

The premium COD bundle not having one at $500 is the deathblow, they haven't even announced it as a standalone peripheral.

onQ123

Yes.

Next question?

EDIT: Well, there are SOME games coming that you will need Kinect. Things like Just Dance, Dance Central, and more. It isn't completely dead, it will still have a market. Just everyone won't have one, which is not a bad thing.

Just Dance is now all about shaking your smartphone.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Looks like Project Natal was the spiritual successor to the Sega Activator after all.

EBE

that isnt to say some non kinect games wont still support it. i could see something like Screamride or Fable Legends using it quite well, and we know Forza Horizon 2 is using it.

Top Bottom