• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaton!(?): LBP3 to allow full 3D movement between "layers."

This game looks like it's going to be the best of LBP series so far, with tons of new options but it's going to be the most undervalued because of the timing.

Isn't this game from the same people who made the Vita version? And wasn't the vita version supposed to be the best?

E: Read some of the Devs replies and damn. I'm extraordinarily hyped!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yarp, 16 playable layers opens up a lot of opportunities for top down. I wish I had these tools when I was making this, this, and this back in LBP2. Having bits move properly in the depth instead of just 3 layers and background is gonna be great for y'all. Much less trickery with glitches and easier to deal with as well.

Gat dang, you still did a super impressive job. 5 years on and I still haven't bothered to learn how to do the infinite layers glitch. Haha, I remember playing Craft Earth Crusaders back in the beta.

By the way, any word on whether the voice recording quality is improved at all? I mean, I figure it's a file-size thing, but...

I'm starting to think I'm the only one who preferred the floaty jump physics :(

Looking forward to this game so much.

It doesn't bother me, but I understand why others want it to be precise.

Well, the good thing is, the tools let level creators mess with the physics settings (been there since an updated to LBP2). So you can make them more precise or more floaty when you create your levels. So when you start playing user created levels, that should be one of the comments you make when you complete it, if you dont like the jump physics.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm low key so excited for this game.

LBP as an IP is just something from my dreams as a kid come to life.

Creaking

Now if only the controls were more tight

It's been said numerous times in this thread and reiterated by the developers:

They are.

I'm low key so excited for this game.

LBP as an IP is just something from my dreams as a kid come to life.

No kidding. I was a big... uh, drawer as a kid, and I used to draw scenes or levels of made-up video games. I was fourteen when LBP1 first came out, and it was the perfect answer to my desires. Even now, I maintain that it's the most intuitive game-maker out there. LBP1 was especially good in that aspect, since very little of what held the story levels together was hidden from the player. In essence, you could learn how to build levels by playing levels.

Well, the good thing is, the tools let level creators mess with the physics settings (been there since an updated to LBP2). So you can make them more precise or more floaty when you create your levels. So when you start playing user created levels, that should be one of the comments you make when you complete it, if you dont like the jump physics.

Hehe, here's what we mentioned about tweaking the core Sackboy controls (probably needs to be a separate thread title itself) :p

Here's the obligatory "we fixed that". I've posted this before and I know it's been mentioned a few times in other threads but we put a lot of time into refining the way Sackboy's controls feel. We've done our best to get rid of the floaty feel, this means that Sackboy moves a little bit faster, jumps a tiny bit higher, has more responsive air steering and stops on the spot he lands rather than keeping his momentum like he would in the past. This all adds up to a better experience when playing with him. We're quite proud of the way he feels now. When you play LBP3 you might not notice at first, but when you go back and play the previous games you'll see the difference like night and day.

Oh and on the whole core controls bit, a bunch of people came up to me at the LBP3 Gamescom booth and thanks us for making the controls tighter. xD

So yeah, you can go nuts with customizing how Sackboy and friends move, jump, run, etc (which is much easier than in LBP2 now), but yes we've gone lengths to make the base controls for you much tighter, less floaty, and more direct in feel versus the previous installments. ^^

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
No kidding. I was a big... uh, drawer as a kid, and I used to draw scenes or levels of made-up video games. I was fourteen when LBP1 first came out, and it was the perfect answer to my desires. Even now, I maintain that it's the most intuitive game-maker out there. LBP1 was especially good in that aspect, since very little of what held the story levels together was hidden from the player. In essence, you could learn how to build levels by playing levels.
I'm the exact same, man.

I'm a big supporter of games with expansive and intuitive content-creation systems in general (Trials, Halo, etc.).

Is there anybody here that's working on LBP3? Donkey Show?

I'd love if somebody in an important decision knew that I, and I'm sure many others (though I only surveyed myself), would love to be able to access the story levels from LBP1+2 alongside all the user generated levels in LBP3. LBP1's levels in particular are some of my favorites of all time. <3 the Gardens.

I believe they mentioned that LBP Hub, if it still exists, would include all content from LBP1+2, and I'd love if that ended up being true for LBP3 on PS4. Even if it's paid DLC, I want those levels!

Edit: I made this topic the subject of my very first Tweet. https://twitter.com/makingmusic476/status/501195874081718273

Teknoman

Oh this is going to be so awesome for created boss battles!

This news actually revitalized my interest since I was pretty gutted about losing all my data from LBP1 and 2...

Hopefully the music synthesizer is even better now. Gotta have those custom stage themes.

Creaking

Oh this is going to be so awesome for created boss battles!

This news actually revitalized my interest since I was pretty gutted about losing all my data from LBP1 and 2...

Hopefully the music synthesizer is even better now. Gotta have those custom stage themes.

Ugh, that happened to me once in LBP1. I had a backup of most of my stuff, but not my most recent work in create mode.

Also, I'm no big musician, but yeah, the music sequencer could use more instruments/improvements. Or at lease a couple of bug fixes. I still sometimes have issues where when I place a note down on one end of the sequencer and the same note down further away, and the two attach, making one long note.

Another thing I forgot to mention during the live stream about making your own stickers:

BvXEDQYIcAAlfaf.jpg

:)

thank you donkey show

No problemo ^^

SerTapTap

Another thing I forgot to mention during the live stream about making your own stickers:

BvXEDQYIcAAlfaf.jpg

:)

wait as in remote play on Vita lets you use real touch controls or what? I LOVE when games do that, very disappointed when a game has touch controls on Vita but doesn't have them for PS4 remote play on Vita.

Clawww

A full 3d platformer version of little big planet would be incredible

Aside from the floaty as fuck controls

I don't really know much about LBP, but is there like, a physics editor? 3D + being able to adjust the feel of the jumps etc. would be amazing

edit: saw the posts above, cool!

Creaking

What does it mean by layers? Is there a series of 2D playing fields or is it actual 3D movement?

In normal play, you've got 16 2d playing fields that you can transition between, though the transition is fairly rigid. Now, using a bit of logic, you can move through the 16 layers in a way that looks to be about as smooth as in a 3d platformer. Hard to say what the extent of this ability will be without poking at it myself.

This sentiment always confuses me. As someone getting into nintendo classics late in life, I found all the classic mario games to be floaty as fuck, and people love those games. Why are the physics in this game so hard to grasp? Keeping in mind for me I hate the feel of classic mario, love the feel of classic mega man, and love the feel of little big planet.

I know exactly what you mean. The Galaxy games to me feel floaty. Donkey Kong Country on the other hand feels tighter and much much more precise imo

Xenon

Great news, I hope they clean up the interface for searching and starting levels. It was painfully slow in 2 and unplayable in LBPV.

Zen

Banned
One thing that was mildly concerning in one of the LPB trailers is a few of the shown 'custom created stages' had slowdown (particularly some top down helicopter game) This kind of thing is no acceptable anymore! I know you will always be able to strain the engine in your own levels, but we better get rock solid performance and playability out of the PS4 version. One of the things that has hampered custom levels in the past is horrendous lag on the PS3 due to skipped frames etc.

Whatever the input lag in LBP has been make sure it is as low as possible moving forward guys! Input Lag killed Killzone 2 for most people and it has hampered LBP for a long time.

geordiemp

Yup, controlling sackboy annoyed me no end on Ps3 on first LBP, never bought one since...

How hard can it be to make decent platforming controls in 2014 ? Look at how Rayman controls for example

Hate getting frustrated by poor controlling character.

IF they get the controls right it could be a winner. Hope there is a demo...

Zen

Banned
Yeah I think they said they really tightened up the controls and cut back on the floatiness and sliding when you hit the ground.

Famassu

This sentiment always confuses me. As someone getting into nintendo classics late in life, I found all the classic mario games to be floaty as fuck, and people love those games. Why are the physics in this game so hard to grasp? Keeping in mind for me I hate the feel of classic mario, love the feel of classic mega man, and love the feel of little big planet.
It's probably because controls in Mario are just a tiny bit more responsive and there is no intricate physics system so your jumps are always the same so you know better where you are going with a jump. Sackboy is affected by the same physics system that affects every object in the game, so the height of the jump can vary based on a number of factors, which can make players feel less in control of Sackboy than what they feel with Mario. It can feel annoying when there's some jump you think you can make but because there's some bump in the level or something, it'll affect the physics of the jump and your jump will end up short.

That said, I think LBP2 and especially LBP PSP & Vita really improved on this aspect and it's more responsive than before.

this has always been a huge problem for me. I think the game is fantastic, if only it 'felt' good. It feels fucking weird still after playing for hours. BUT - I haven't played LBP 2, and 3 looks like each character moved differently. What would REALLY be a megaton is if you could set 'character physics/move speed / jump height' in custom maps.
I'm pretty sure you could do that in LBP2 already? You could make Sackboy move differently. It might've been behind some trickery, but it could be done.

Most assuredly. Move support was a big DLC in LBP2, and in a screen I took from Donkey Show's create mode demo, you can still see move controller options in the painting mode:

Sweet. I loved the Move stuff in LBP 2. I hope they also bring offer the Cross-Controller DLC from LBP 2.

Top Bottom