• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios ramps up recruitment; what do you want them to make and why?

Odie_Esty

Metroid Dread, or rather a 2d metroid on the 3ds. After Other M you'd need to ease back into the franchise which has never been big in Japan to begin with. Since the 3DS has a bigger install base it would be a better platform for this, buffing interest in the series enough to make another 3d metroid. It's also important that Nintendo not abandon it's handheld in favor of it's home console, like some companies.

Could you imagine what a WiiU Metroid would look like ?

Even the decade old Prime 1 looks fantastic at higher resolution.

ametroidinHD-1.jpg

i would LOVE a new first person Metroid, but i don't want it to be part of the prime saga. i feel like that is done for the most part, besides the ship at the end.

what i DO want is a sequel to fusion, i would do almost anything for it...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Definitely StarTropics - the original game series had so much vintage Americana in it, so why not hand it to Nintendo's most talented American developer? Not to mention Retro is quite adept at beautiful tropical graphics, as seen by their DKC games.

I could see the game becoming a 3D platformer/puzzle game, with tons of traps and slightly less of a combat focus. Very similar to classic Tomb Raider.

tanooki27

partner with ead on the new zelda. if the game is looking to western rpgs for influence, get some assistance from talented western devs.

LiamR

I think it's probably time to let make a brand new IP. They've proven themselves and if they were given the freedom to make something wholly original, I think it would be amazing.

A new Metroid would be amazing though.

clem84

Gold Member
Honestly, I would want them to become the new Rare, back when Rare was creating those amazing FPSs for Nintendo's consoles. I know MP is a first person game but that's not really what I have in mind. A Sci-fi objective based FPS a little like Perfect Dark, just different. A WiiU FPS really tapping into the system's power would no doubt look amazing.

Jawmuncher

A new IP for older audiences.
Not talking dark but something more akin to Prime or Zelda. On the surface those are seen as games for older audiences even though they're suitable for everyone. While something like DK is seen as for kids while it's something everyone plays.

Its a odd request I know.

Sheroking

They were asked to choose between Metroid Prime 4 and Donkey Kong Country before Tropical Freeze started. Miyamoto wants Metroid Prime to continue.

Therefore, it's likely Metroid Prime.

Sean

Banned
Something new.

I still feel like Retro haven't truly proven themselves until they create a brand new franchise from scratch. They did a great job on Metroid and Donkey Kong but both of those were established franchises with a ton of the game design work already done for them. I want to see if they can do it all by themselves.

2.5D in the spirit of Super Metroid, because I still want a worthy Super Metroid sequel and I'm sure Retro is more than capable of that. With the DCKR series they've proven they can handle 2.5D very well.
Or new IP in a genre they haven't done before.

Davey Cakes

As much as people want a new IP, remember this:

There has yet to be an HD Metroid game.

Let that stew in your mind and also think about how Retro is probably the best developer Nintendo has for immersive, fully-realized, and heavily-detailed environments.

I almost feel like it NEEDS to happen.

Maybe, like Splatoon, the new IPs can be saved for other, smaller and newer studios within Nintendo.

Kyzon

How about a new IP and not something already established, fuck
Retro Studios makes new entries into Nintendo's retro games... It's like literally painted on the studios face. Also, Nintendo believes in using existing properties to make their definition of IPs though like with all the different Mario series

That said I want Metroid Prime 4 because I trust them with the property. I miss Samus dearly.

What I REALLY want though is for them to continue the Mach Rider series. They could do whatever they want with that since it's such a blank state. Also, I really wanna hear that theme song again and again.

Pociask

I'm resigned to thinking that Metroid Prime is the best Metroid game that Retro could ever make, as shown by Prime > Prime 2 > Prime 3. So, rather than keeping chasing after past glory, I want Retro to do what they absolutely do best - new takes on old franchises that haven't been touched in a while - see Prime, DKC:R, etc.

So obviously, Mach Rider is the only answer (would have gone with Excite Bike, but we got a Wii Ware version recently. F-Zero is also acceptable).

Edit: That's just eerie.

why are people so obsessed with new IPs? If it's a great game it's a great game, who cares if it's "new" or not

Saying 'I want a new IP', without any qualifiers, is such a cop-out answer because unless you just want it for an internet list war or to go 'aha! Nintendo does work on new IPs!'
There's every possibility that even a 'new IP' won't appeal to you and you'll still be in the exact same position you are now.

Has everyone forgotten the irrational levels of hate that Code Name S.T.E.A.M. got during E3 already??

random25

why are people so obsessed with new IPs? If it's a great game it's a great game, who cares if it's "new" or not

It's funny when people wanted new IPs when all developers give is a game of different title but the experience is just but almost the same.
See how a "new" IP like Watch_Dogs gets being compared to GTA

Retro provided fans a different, but great, Metroid experience. I'm all for letting them do another Metroid game because Retro has proven that they can deliver a different experience, or much better than its predecessors.

Wildean

Don't mind really, as long as it's not another 2D platformer. They don't need to make three in a row. I'd prefer someone else to take a crack at Metroid though, like Next Level, or (not going to happen but) Monolith.

Davey Cakes

That said I want Metroid Prime 4 because I trust them with the property. I miss Samus dearly.
Exactly.

You trust Retro with the established property. They would do it best, period.

New IPs can be more experimental and given to other studios instead. If you want a specific series/franchise done justice, you want the most capable dev to take care of it. That's Retro. And, for what people want out of Metroid, I can't think of a more appropriate choice.

Let the EAD teams take care of the more original projects.

Firemind

Saying 'I want a new IP', without any qualifiers, is such a cop-out answer because unless you just want it for an internet list war or to go 'aha! Nintendo does work on new IPs!'
There's every possibility that even a 'new IP' won't appeal to you and you'll still be in the exact same position you are now.

Has everyone forgotten the irrational levels of hate that Code Name S.T.E.A.M. got during E3 already??

F-Zero FPS (Falcon Punch Simulator)

I want to get involved in the mythos of the F-Zero universe (whom I have been told shares it with Metroid).

soultron

Banned
I'd love it if they were able to pursue a new IP of their own creation. Something decidedly more "mature," aimed at Western audiences. I'm going to catch flak for saying that, but know that I don't mean to take away from their Donkey Kong efforts. I'd just like to see them do something that's entirely of their doing since they're an incredibly talented team.

I'd be fine with Donkey Kong as long as its 3D Donkey Kong Platformer. They can do a much much better job than Donkey Kong 64 and I feel that they've already done all that they can with 2D DK. DKTF just felt like more of the same (nothing wrong with that, I just want something new) so I want a 3D DK, or a new IP/IP they haven't worked on.

phanphare

Banned
Diddy Kong Country Returns: DKC Returns 3

Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers I've ever played and there's still room for improvement. make Diddy the main playable character and have Dixie, Cranky, and Kiddy Kong playable and bring back the swapping mechanic. also add in some more animal buddies
or just Enguarde
and spruce up the bonus rooms. oh and obviously bring back David Wise. that game could possibly be the GoaT.

Trago

I'm pretty sure that they're aware of demand for a new Metroid game.

I think it's Metroid. Then again, Miyamoto did say that they are capable of developing multiple games at once. New IP maybe?

Sean

Banned

Retro has worked on Metroid games for nearly a decade (2000-2009) and have spent six years on Donkey Kong franchise now. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to want something new from them.

Servbot24

Banned
As much as I want a new Metroid, it's probably not a good idea. A big studio like Retro is going to feel obligated to turn it into a big cinematic spectacular with NPCs and all kinds of frilly shit. A game like Metroid Prime is never going to happen again until indies reach that level.

Top Bottom