• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OK PC-GAF, time to put up: Give me a plan to build a CPU comparable to a PS4XB1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

So forever I've been hearing PC-GAF extoll how much better PCs are for gaming and how stupid people are for going with consoles exclusively. And now that I know that in the months to come I'll be looking to buy into the next gen I figured, why not make the jump. I'm a comfy couch gamer. Have zero desire to play on laptop or at a monitor.

- Must have a comparable cost to a PS4/XB1
- Has to have similar power as a PS4/XB1
- Similar storage
- Cost must include Wireless controller (at least 1 as a console would have)
- Must last/be non-obsolete as long as a PS4/XB1
- OS cost is counted towards the total cost (I don't have to pay for console OS)

I'm in no hurry and don't mind waiting on parts or building it slowly to save money. So let's see what plans GAF comes up with.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Please show me a Ferrari that's as cheap as my Kia.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

This is basically what you are asking OP.

btw I dont see your point of building a PC. You want similar specs as console, then just play on console?

Sendou

The build you are talking about doesn't exist unless you want to go hunting for deals and used parts but that can always go either way. Take PS4's price then at least double that and we can talk.

oti

Banned
Are we talking cost of PS4 + Xbox One here? So $800?
I built my first PC with that exact mindset, 800€, everything looks and runs great.

Sendou

He's not asking for a Ferrari at a Kia price. He wants something he can build himself for the same amount of money with the same amount of power.

I guess the point is that even PC that plays games in comparable quality to PS4 does so much more things and has much better library so Ferrari/Kia applies.

Can I add the cost of 5-8 years of online multiplayer and 20+ euros per game you buy into the price of the hardware? Because for such a huge amount of money I can build you a pc that is vastly much more powerful and make a steam account with a bunch of games to start with.

From the tone of the OP I'm guessing not!
Just in case you're actually serious instead of just wanting to make the same shitstirring goalpost moving thread that will go around in circles that has been made 100 times before:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835397
People in this thread will be happy to help you, I suggest you read the OP thoroughly before asking questions.

Krejlooc

Banned
A CPU comparable to the PS4/XB1? The PS4 and Xbox One have terrible mobile CPUs. Don't go down that route.

EDIT: Just realized OP is one of those guys who calls a computer a "CPU" lmao

Oh that's easy.

First you need to find a company that will subsidize your chosen parts. Are we adding the costs of online subscriptions to the mix for the length of the generation?

OP you don't really know how building a PC works, or understand the comparisons to consoles, do you?

Corpsepyre

Banned
If you can spend about 500 US dollars, you can get a really decent rig that will give you good performance on 1080p. Youtube has a lot of said videos covering that range.

ethomaz

Banned
He's not asking for a Ferrari at a Kia price. He wants something he can build himself for the same amount of money with the same amount of power.
That the point... he can choose something weaker at the same amount of money... or something stronger costing more money.

A stronger cars costing the same than a weaker is not possible.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Get me a PS4/XB1 that can be easily upgraded with new parts to increase performance and we'll talk.

OS cost can at least be somewhat reduced by way of r/softwareswap, I bought a Windows 8 key off of there for $18 when I built the rig I'm currently using.

kasane

How about i show a gtr to your ferrari???

Ferrari costs twice as much as a gtr but the gtr is still as fast
That the point... he can choose something weaker at the same amount of money... or something stronger costing more money.

A stronger cars costing the same than a weaker is not possible.

The gtr doesnt exist??

Terrible analogy

Sendou

Okay OP here's what I could do:

Screwdiver - $0 (borrow from uncle)
Ticket to local LAN Party - $5
Trash bag - $2 (can't buy invidually)
Ski mask - $2

Total: $9

Only your imagination is limiting the quality of build you can get with these easy instructions!

Tenki

You can also add the cost of online multiplayer ($50/year x 6 years = $300) and the price of the games, which is a lot higher on consoles than PC.

How many years is this for, so I can budget in the value of Xbox Live Gold/Playstation Plus?

Agreed.

Also this thread is so extremely baity and agenda-driving (and driven).

Who the heck would want to buy a 400 dollar PC to game on? It is obvious.

DCDW

In this thread: individual non-specification conforming PC parts that are as cheap as massively bulk purchased console parts.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I entered this thread asking myself "who the hell would want a CPU like in PS4/XB1?". After reading the OP, this is still a better question.

Pretty obvious attempt at 'taking PC-GAF down a peg' OP. If you actually want information on building a PC people have already linked the GAF build a pc thread which is one of the best sources of information on the internet about this subject.

But where is the 8GB GDDR5? Does this or does this not include Windows: Metal-Coding Edition?

Kezen

Banned
PC parts are sold with a high margin, the PC world isn't subsidized so price wise there is nothing we can do for you.

ronito

Thank you. I'll go with this then. See? wasn't hard.

kharma45

G3258 is a better buy.

Good deal on it if you live near a Microcenter too. It and a mobo for $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom