• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

Disclaimer: If moderators would like to reduce the number of active MGS threads, please lock this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=865337 instead. It's outdated and the MGS community would rather continue talking about the game in a relevant thread without having to resort to the news threads.

phantom-pain-logoj6qez.png

Release Date

if4tfzgalv6bw89q23.gif

Cast and Crew

• Kiefer Sutherland - Venom Snake / Big Boss
  • Robin Atkin Downes - Kazuhira Miller
  • James Horan - Skull Face
  • Troy Baker - Ocelot
  • Piers Stubbs - Eli
  • Antony Del Rio - Chico Libre
  • Jay Tavare - Code Talker
  • Christopher Randolph - Huey Emmerich
  • Donna Burke - iDroid
  • David Hayter
    -
    Nobody :lol
Plot

In the aftermath of the events of Ground Zeroes and the destruction of Militaires Sans Frontières, Big Boss falls into a coma. Nine years later, he awakes and forms a new mercenary group, the Diamond Dogs. Now under the guise of the codename "Venom Snake", he ventures into Afghanistan during the Soviet war to track down the men responsible for MSF's destruction. Along the way, he becomes reacquainted with his former rival Ocelot and encounters a unit of warriors robbed of their past, present and future. While he and Kazuhira "Kaz" Miller are initially driven to exact revenge, Snake soon unearths a plot by the Cipher organization to develop a weapon with the potential to surpass even the Metal Gear system, and his mission quickly switches focus to ending this new threat

Gameplay

- Open world: Not one massive, continuous world, but rather, a set of large, open areas set in different places
- Story: Small missions are completed individually and tie together to present the overall story.
- Transportation: Vehicles and horses. Enemy vehicles can be stolen and used as transportation, and a means to escape hostile areas.
- Crawling returns (was absent in Peace Walker)
- More realistic CQC (Three icons appear, allowing players to interrogate, knock out, or kill the guard.)
- Binoculars can be used to mark enemies
- enemy AI has been described as advanced and "unpredictable" their paths cover wider areas than before.
- Base building returns from Peace Walker
- iDroid replaces on screen mini-map
- Cardboard box returns!

Multiplayer

Players can infiltrate other Mother Bases in multiplayer. As seen in the gameplay videos, these bases will feature different names such as Stubborn Sheep and Roughneck Raven. Players will have to try and avoid guards and other security measures set up by the player they are invading. The objective seems to revolve around stealing (fulton) other players possessions such as guards and weapons.

A new version of Metal Gear Online should appear as well, but exact details have yet to be revealed.

Metal Gear Online CLAN [GAF's list of potential names]

- Guerilla Gaffers
- Glorious Gaffers
- Platinum Platypuses
- Diamond (Diamondo) Dawgs (Doges, Dawgzu)
- Rogue Rottweilers
- Felonious Foxes
- Notorious N.E.O.Gaffers
- Ignorant Infiltrators
- Sneaking Snakes
- Boisterous Bosses
- Articulate Apes
- Rampaging Rhinos
- Ominous Owls
- Overkill Ocelots
- Wily Wolves
- Secret Sloths
- Jabbering Jackals
- Guerrilla Gaffers
- Guerrilla Guerrillas
- Gaffer Goats
- Idiotic Iguanas
- Whoahaaa Wolves, Whales, Wankers
- Handsome Hayters
- Hater Hayters
- Infinite Ishmaels
- Voracious V's
- Venomous Valkyries
- Ignorant Iguanas
- Gaffling Giraffes
- Quiet Quails
- GAF Guerrillas
- Gullible Gaffers
- Grasping Gaffers
- Arendelle Abattoir
- Zelotypia Zaibatsu
- Sutherland Snakes
- Potato Patriots
- Quick 'n Quiet
- Kiefer's Komrades
- Sutherland Shurfifers
- Poopy Planeteers

-> ! NeoGAF MGS V MOSAIC ! <-

NeoGAF MGS V mosaic? What's this about?

Well, all of this started when I won some tickets to attend the Metal Gear Solid V event near gamescom. This included a signing session with Hideo Kojima. Because I didn't really have anything special to get signed, MGS-GAF came together and created a pretty cool looking mosaic image in just a few hours To my surprise, once it was printed... a lot of people told me they didn't know we were doing this and kinda wish they could have been included.

So, what happened?

Unfortunately, the stream lasted longer than expected with the Q/A and Silent Hills bit. There was no time left for a signing session. Fortunately, Diamond Dawgs never give up and now we decided to simply send this to Kojima. Well, not straight to the man himself. ToraShiro will help us with this. It just needs to reach him before TGS and then we're fairly sure Kojima will get it!

What does this mean?

We could just send him the print(s) we already got, but I decided it would be a good opportunity to gather more NeoGAF users this time. More people, more avatars... an even better mosaic picture! We just want to give more people a chance to be included this time.

How do I participate?

Just fill in ths form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Hufdakz0o02Uy8RaJyXhZAwlbYIqYkNv1ToLKOH37HE/viewform
What will the final result look like?

This was the print we did earlier: http://i3.minus.com/i1znvpOsiLdAr.jpg

Screenshots

ibmOpSjaFAOKQC.jpg

ibbKcKI8eggI3.jpg

iOZWIQA5FCE8.jpg

ib1CSdh3nlzj5d.jpg

ie2Yc2qiWoinJ.jpg

ib1CSdh3nlzj5d.jpg

ibmOpSjaFAOKQC.jpg

Revealed Footage

Hideo Kojima interview with Geoff Keighley (gamescom)
E3 2014 DEMO
Gamescom 2014 DEMO

Cinematic Trailers

GDC 2013
E3 2013 Red Band
E3 2014

jba9iICFaOPQ7x.png

sorry SJRB

Woffls

So hype. Having a lot of fun with MGS4 at the moment, but I can't help think about all the new cardboard boxes and... creative horse mechanics.

Isotope

After finishing the current MGS series games (Just finished Peace Walker today actually), I NEED TPP to come out now! Hoping we get a release date soon (Hopefully TGS)!

Grisby

So excited just to play the game. I like the MGS lore and everything but I haven't been this excited to play an MGS since Sons of Liberty.

Moving around Ground Zeroes base was a blast and I can't wait to do it in more environments.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I foresee this being a great thread
until it gets locked lol

Was thinking abut making something similar....

Wonder how this thread will end.

My guess is.. soon.

I'll take an early prediction and say MGSV will be goty 2015, I know it will be for me anyway.

We have hype threads for asscreed unity, destiny or smash bros so i see no reason why we can't have a MGSV hype thread.

Gamescom is over, it's time we get a new home.

Erban1

@Dawg -- The mosaic link to signup is broken.

My most anticipated game of all time! The open world design is something i thought would always fit the series, and with the new smoother gameplay i can see myself playing this for hundreds of hours.

Saving my first plat ever for this as well...

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Dawg went to bed. He will probably fix the screenshots and url links in the OP tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
HYPE!

Hey and the Google thing isn't working. Proud to be here with you BROTHERS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom