• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock available today for iOS

mocoworm

Crazy that this runs on iOS.

£10.49 , that's pretty expensive.

http://www.gamefreaks.co.nz/2014/08/28/original-bioshock-available-today-ios/

2K has announced that BioShock is available today on iOS devices via the iTunes App Store.

Original BioShock available today for iOSBioShock iOS brings the full experience of the original “genetically enhanced” action-adventure, first-person shooter to iOS devices, while offering optimized touch controls and full Bluetooth and Made for iPhone (MFi) game controller support.

Bringing a true AAA gaming experience to the mobile platform, BioShock sends players on an adventure to explore the submerged Art Deco city of Rapture to fight deranged survivors of a failed objectivist utopia, and genetically modify their own DNA to gain superhuman powers.

The game also features a new leaderboard system, an in-app digital artbook (based on the original Special Edition), and a new player profile function that allows players to see how they stack up against their friends with a number of personal in-game stats that track how many weapons and plasmids are used, the number of enemies killed, and more.

This is what it looks like to play BioShock on an iPad

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/4/5967395/this-is-what-it-looks-like-to-play-bioshock-on-an-ipad

BioShock: Xbox 360 vs iOS Graphics Comparison

http://youtu.be/s-Zjd6jTmTU

REVIEWS

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/BioShock/review.asp?c=61228 - 6/10

Not that crazy considering the specs, the price of the device and the sacrifices made on the game.
By the way, did they finally released that controller for iPad Mini ?
I mean the attachable one.

nkarafo

while offering optimized touch controls
gtfo_women_gif.gif

Also, are these screens from that version? I remember in some other thread, the pictures looked like a very ugly/downgraded version of the game.

GavinUK86

not like i was going to buy it anyway, i already own it on 2 systems, but im starting to realise my ipad 2 is getting a bit long in the tooth. this apparently wont even run on it.

:(

e_i

The game does work on the iPad 3rd generation according to posters at Toucharcade despite what 2K said.

MegaMelon

I have nothing against mobile gaming but I do think we have some way to go before we'll be getting the same kind of graphics out of em in comparison to last gen gaming.

Gurish

Mobile gaming has still a long way to go to even touch last-gen graphics, in my opinion.

And we are talking about very early next gen graphics, how will Infinite look? and God Of War 3, Uncharted 3 or Halo 4?

Yea it's not even close.

SmokyDave

I picked it up. Just couldn't resist seeing Bioshock running on my phone. It's fucking nuts.

Pretty impressive stuff. I'd be interested to see it run on a Vita for comparisons sake, rather than holding it up against the console or PC versions.

Mendrox

I picked it up. Just couldn't resist seeing Bioshock running on my phone. It's fucking nuts.

Pretty impressive stuff. I'd be interested to see it run on a Vita for comparisons sake, rather than holding it up against the console or PC versions.

Bioshock Vita... the dream is dead. :(

Kssio_Aug

The biggest problem imo is that those games just dont work nice with touch screen. Would be more intersting if those developers devoted their time making games with different mechanics and design to tell the history of their franchises on the smartphones. Like a different approach!

randomwab

Playing on a 5S. Resolution seems very low, and the textures and lighting have taken a hit, but I'm still impressed. BioShock on my phone and it's all there seemingly, and with a pretty good framerate. Only issue I have is that some controls are missing (jump and aim down sights) and it doesn't seem to support multi tasking which is borderline game breaking for me. But still.

I bet we'll see Borderlands 1 ported if this is half way successful.

A quick screen for any interested.

P44

And we are talking about very early next gen graphics, how will Infinite look? and God Of War 3, Uncharted 3 or Halo 4?

Yea it's not even close.

Difference is, every year we see mobile hardware take a jump forward, instead of every 8 years. We started in 2007 with basic flash game graphics and 7 years later we're at PS2 graphics basically.

Zimmy68

I have no interest in this.
I would buy in 2 seconds if they put it on the Vita.
If only Sony would have shook some change out of their product and helped produce an enhanced Bioshock (1.5?) for the Vita, it would have breathed some life into the old gal.

Miker

I set my expectations low given that Bioshock is a weird Unreal Engine 2.5/3 hybrid. It seems like the weirdest game for 2K to port, honestly. Unreal Engine didn't properly support iOS until halfway through UE3's lifetime, but UE4 seems to be made at least partially with mobile in mind - Epic is on board w/ Apple's Metal API for iOS.

I think if a decent development team actually sat down and created a big, AAA shooter for iOS using modern engines/APIs, it'd be pretty impressive. As it is, having the entirety of BioShock in your pocket, albeit with godawful controls, is already pretty cool.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, considering the hardware in the iPad Air is basically equivalent to a modern netbook, it doesn't look that much different from how it ran on a 6 years old netbook.

Could it be because a good chunk of mobile devices' RAM/CPU/GPU is always used for multitasking / other functions all going on while playing, which means that graphical possibilities are heavily limited compared to, let's say, a device with the same RAM/CPU/GPU but with a specific focus on games, and not a multipurpose device that happens to support also games on it?

That, and budget probably not being that high to begin with, doesn't it?

Lazaro

Bioshock 2 runs around 15-34FPS on a Surface Pro at full settings at 1080P NO AA so technically this is quite impressively for iOS/Android device to achieve. Considering the iPhone renders this game at 1136x640 (close to X360/PS3 render resolution) and iPad Air at 2048x1536 its quite amazing.

I imagine the only thing better about BioShock with a touch interface would be the annoying waterworks/safe-unlocking puzzles. That got old real quick.

Magwik

Banned
Bioshock 2 runs around 15-34FPS on a Surface Pro at full settings at 1080P NO AA so technically this is quite impressively for iOS/Android device to achieve. Considering the iPhone renders this game at 1136x640 (close to X360/PS3 render resolution) and iPad Air at 2048x1536 its quite amazing.
You're comparing the full version of BioShock 2 running at full settings to a extremely cut down iOS version of the original BioShock?

Top Bottom