• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock available today for iOS

Gurish

Now we know what Bioshock on PS2 would have looked like.

Going by this screen:
GFCRvLq.jpg

I'm not even sure this is PS2 level, looks more like between PS1 to PS2. (closer to PS2 than PS1 though)

SmokyDave

Going by this screen:
I'm not even sure this is PS2 level, looks more like between PS1 to PS2. (closer to PS2 than PS1 though)
It's nowhere near PS1 level when you actually see the game running in front of you, I assure you.

I feel like smartphones have rapidly skewed perspectives on what a tiny handheld device should be capable of.

It does look like crap, and this is a botched port (the A7 is capable of more), but I still find how this runs on a petite, light 5S at all impressive.

nkarafo

Difference is, every year we see mobile hardware take a jump forward, instead of every 8 years. We started in 2007 with basic flash game graphics and 7 years later we're at PS2 graphics basically.
Υeah but mobile graphics are like PC graphics. They get better as you improve the hardware. On consoles its different. The same hardware that runs Bioshock 1 also runs GTA5 and TLOU. You are going to need 2 or 3 hardware jumps to see that kind of graphics in mobile.

PSP?

Could it be because a good chunk of mobile devices' RAM/CPU/GPU is always used for multitasking / other functions all going on while playing, which means that graphical possibilities are heavily limited compared to, let's say, a device with the same RAM/CPU/GPU but with a specific focus on games, and not a multipurpose device that happens to support also games on it?

That, and budget probably not being that high to begin with, doesn't it?

I feel like the A6 in iPhone 5/5C held this port big time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_system_on_a_chip

A6 is ancient by today standards. Much weaker than the Vita even.

Miker

Υeah but mobile graphics are like PC graphics. They get better as you improve the hardware. On consoles its different. The same hardware that runs Bioshock 1 also runs GTA5 and TLOU. You are going to need 2 or 3 hardware jumps to see that kind of graphics in mobile.

That doesn't make much sense. Bioshock 1 on PS3 was a shitty port, as far as I can tell, and TLOU was built for the system as an exclusive. Bioshock 1 on, say, iPhone 5S is a shitty port, but what if Bioshock Beyond Infinite comes out next year built from the ground up for iOS, and looks better, and still runs well on iPhone 5S? Besides, the same PC that can run Bioshock 1 when it was released can probably still run GTA V when it's released for PC later.

Now, the real problem is that because iPhones come out every year, more ambitious games will be limited to the most recent iPhones - but that's how the hardware cycle works when there's explosive growth (like the mid-90s PC market).

jokkir

Pretty interested in this but no iOS devices to test it. And of course some screenshots would look bad if you blow it up like that.

Gundy2010

Do you think we will see a Bioshock VITA?

VITA Bioshock will be glorious. It's a proper platform for shooter and its hardware is powerful enough to maintain the graphic fidelity. Sony really should consider porting it, much better than and easier process than BD2 that's for sure.

IOS Bioshock just shows how fucked up this industry has become.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I feel like the A6 in iPhone 5/5C held this port big time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_system_on_a_chip

A6 is ancient by today standards. Much weaker than the Vita even.

That looks like a limit, indeed.

And I suppose this + RAM being used by many apps at the same time, not just the OS + budget being probably pretty low are all possible reasons for Bioshock iOS being like this, right?

Trace

Banned
Looking at this makes me think how amazing a Vita port would have been...

Everything is all there in this one, it's just a fairly ugly port of a beautiful game.

Competa

Banned
I love Bioshock and this is Awesome !
It looks great for playing on an iPad... But, I would never have time to play it on the go.

SmokyDave

VITA Bioshock will be glorious. It's a proper platform for shooter and its hardware is powerful enough to maintain the graphic fidelity. Sony really should consider porting it, much better than and easier process than BD2 that's for sure.

You can't blame the industry for following their customers. Yeah, this would be better on the Vita. Sure it would. The majority of people that care, however, would just give it the same old 'lol got it on steam for 25p in a sale twenty years ago lol not playing it on a 5 inch screen' and the publishers would probably end up out of pocket.

I'm just glad that 'the industry' has found a way to make portable ports like this happen at all.

M3d10n

I picked it up. Just couldn't resist seeing Bioshock running on my phone. It's fucking nuts.

Pretty impressive stuff. I'd be interested to see it run on a Vita for comparisons sake, rather than holding it up against the console or PC versions.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was based on the Vita version, if only because it was a very random game to pick to release on iOS.

M3d10n

Bioshock 2 runs around 15-34FPS on a Surface Pro at full settings at 1080P NO AA so technically this is quite impressively for iOS/Android device to achieve. Considering the iPhone renders this game at 1136x640 (close to X360/PS3 render resolution) and iPad Air at 2048x1536 its quite amazing.

No, with this game it doesn't:
GFCRvLq.jpg

That's almost the 3DS resolution.

Gurish

Original Bioshock on VITA will probably look as good as the consoles version or very very close (just like U:GA for vita looks very close to UC1).

Infinity VITA on the other hand won't look as good as on consoles, but still won't be horrible like iOS Bioshcok.

PFD

The hardware of the Vita is equal to the (2 gens old) iPad 3. The iPhone 5s is more than twice as powerful

It's nowhere near PS1 level when you actually see the game running in front of you, I assure you.

I feel like smartphones have rapidly skewed perspectives on what a tiny handheld device should be capable of.

You mean a 500 dollars device ?
Because that's what some people are saying for years, that smartphones are getting so fast it's beyond PS360 capabilities.

M3d10n

The hardware of the Vita is equal to the (2 gens old) iPad 3. The iPhone 5s is more than twice as powerful

Yes, but the Vita has fast dedicated VRAM which helps immensely. You routinely see per pixel lighting and full scene real-time shadowing on the Vita while they are still rare sights on iOS.

Hell from what I'm looking at in the vids this is beyond PS2 level just on pixel shader effects alone. Toss in resolution and there's no way in hell a PS2 could even approach it. It's missing shadows and the lighting of the PS3/360 versions. Along with minor reductions in polygons.

Rolodzeo

Yep, looks terrible. It's kinda sad, I mean, for the people first playing it, I think the immersion in BioShock was one of the key elements of the game. Playing it on a phone, with a tiny screen and touch controls... man, I think I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I did on 360 back in the day, at all.

Just for a comparison...

iPhone 5S

iPad Air

Considering both devices are of a similar power, I don't know why the iPhone version is so gimped.

Because it was a crap effort, that's why.

As mentioned before, the 5S's SOC outperforms Vita's. Those devices are capable of more than what those screens show.

Takao

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if this was based on the Vita version, if only because it was a very random game to pick to release on iOS.

Bioshock on Vita was meant to be an original game. Levine wanted a Final Fantasy Tactics-style SRPG. The game never entered production, so there's nothing to use as a base.

MattyG

Banned
I really hope that 2K takes the leap and ports this and XCOM EU to Vita. It seems like it would be easy money, especially considering that a majority of the
small
Vita install base would probably buy it. I know I would. Obviously I don't know how hard getting Unreal game optimized for iOS running on Vita would be though.

Based on some of the reactions of the video review, maybe I wouldn't want a Vita port...

Graphics aside just watching the person in that video flail around because of the touch controls and imagining actually playing it sent shivers down my back.

Video review's up on AppSpy for those of you wondering how it looks in motion:

That's a solid review. It's neat to see mobile devices get to this point where they can run 6 year old PC ports, but at the same time... yikes... the game looks ugly.

I really need to play through Bioshock. I have had the game in my steam library for almost 2 years now and I never got around to playing it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
That's a solid review. It;s neat to see mobile devices get to this point where they can run 6 year old PC ports, but at the same time... yikes... the game looks ugly.

I really need to play through Bioshock. I have had the game in my steam library for almost 2 years now and I never got around to playing it.

Eh, whenever I see this kind of thing I am reminded of Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES. I mean, yea, it is sort of impressive you got the game running but it is so compromised it doesn't seem like it was worth the effort.

I've been playing on my iPad 3 with very little issue. There was some slowdown in Neptunes Bounty but Arcadia is fine now.

Some screens:
O38G4y.jpg

6kvi6E.jpg

sF437N.jpg

More Screens!

Currently in Fort Frolic, my favourite area and it always resonates because this was the area they made the first footage that revealed the game wayyy back.

iPad 3, performance is decent, can slowdown at times but not unmanageable.

SWd4zY.jpg

ytDcus.jpg

2kyG5M.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
More Screens!

Currently in Fort Frolic, my favourite area and it always resonates because this was the area they made the first footage that revealed the game wayyy back.

iPad 3, performance is decent, can slowdown at times but not unmanageable.

SWd4zY.jpg

ytDcus.jpg

2kyG5M.jpg
That's not too bad.

It ain't pretty, but considering the medium of play and graphics I think ~$17.41 is an acceptable price.

It still very engrossing and most importantly the sound design and quality has not taken a hit. There are no low quality samples or anything like that.

I've been playing with my Sennhessier headphones on my iPad 3 and it sounds amazing, there must also be some level of surround at work because i can tell there is directional sound.

Top Bottom