• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving 3DS content to new SD card

With the release of Azure Striker Gunvolt today and not having enough space to even download the demo for Bravely Default, the time has finally come to move my 3DS games/saves/content from the 2GB card to a new 8GB SDHC. I have a card reader, is it just basically as simple as moving the old card's content into my computer and then transferring into the folder on the new card? Anything I should be worried about? I have the digital version of Animal Crossing NL, anything I need to be careful about in order to prevent it getting messed up/lost? Thanks in advance for any info.

HUELEN10

Step 1: Take your new card, put it into the computer, and use the OFFICIAL FORMATTER to format it to FAT32 (official formatter tends to work best!).

Step 2: Copy everything from the root of the original card, to this newly-formatted card (just to be safe, don't delete or modify contents of original card in any way).

Step 3: Insert new card into your 3DS.

Step 4: ?????

Step 5: Enjoy!

Eyothrie

Something tells me that OFFICIAL FORMATTER isn't really official. Maybe it is. Whatever. There are plenty of formatting programs that will work just fine.

HUELEN10

Something tells me that OFFICIAL FORMATTER isn't really official
It is, and I've used it since 2006; it really does a better job and gets you better performance, especially on lower-end cards.
There are plenty of formatting programs that will work just fine.
No doubt, but why settled for fine when you can have optimal for free?

Dryk

Do you have a digital copy of Pokemon XY? Because those saves are bound to the SD card they were created on. You can get around it but it requires some fiddling.

Eyothrie

Not an official Nintendo program, if that is what you are thinking, it is the official SD Association formatter.

Not what I was thinking. I've always used EaseUS (free) and haven't run into any problems. My point is there are several good solutions to properly formatting an SD card.

Do you have a digital copy of Pokemon XY? Because those saves are bound to the SD card they were created on. You can get around it but it requires some fiddling.

Nope, only digital 3DS retail game I own is AC. Thanks for the heads up though.

Used the official formatter, everything is moved over to the new card, worked like a charm, thanks! Will keep old card w/current content and saves just in case.

Why are you only going for an 8gb card when 32gb cards are so cheap.

Because I was on a budget when I got the card and it was way cheaper than the 32GB cards at the store. I probably will eventually but 8GB will be more than enough for me for a long time because I rarely purchase digital retail titles, 99% of my downloads are eShop.

I did this today. Most of my downloaded games transferred over to the new card except for Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion. None of my save files transferred at all.

Went from a 4gb to a 32gb for PW:DD and Layton vs AA

I did this today. Most of my downloaded games transferred over to the new card except for Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion. None of my save files transferred at all.

Went from a 4gb to a 32gb for PW:DD and Layton vs AA

That's too bad, my saves transferred over fine, even my Virtual Console save states. Maybe something was wrong with the card or issue during transfer?

Top Bottom