• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

Cudder

NHL15.jpg

1403658280-media.jpg

INFO:

Release Date: September 9, 2014
Platforms: PS4/Xbox One, PS3/XB360
Price: $69.99 for Standard, 79.99 for Ultimate in Canada...$59.99/$69.99 in US
Developer: EA Canada
Publisher: EA Sports

PS4/Xbox One version:
Modes/Features
•No GM Connected
•No Online Team Play (when this is patched into the game later this year, it will use real NHL players and teams)
•No EA Sports Hockey League
•No EA Sports Arena
•No Online Shootouts
•No Live the Life
•No Be A Legend
•No Winter Classic
•No tournaments or Battle for the Cup
•No season mode (you can only play seasons in Be A GM, which is limited to NHL teams)
•No NHL 94 Anniversary mode
•No custom music support
•No create-a-play designer
•Cannot customize each team's AI
•No create-a-team
•No way to edit individual players
•Practice mode is now limited to one skater vs. an AI goalie
Gameplay
•No custom camera option
•No Action Tracker replay highlights
•No Top 3 Stars at the end of games.
Be A GM
•Yearly draft is fully automated by the CPU
•Cannot play the AHL games for your chosen franchise
•Players sent down to the minors do not accumulate any season stats
•No fantasy draft option
•No preseason games
Be A Pro
•No option to sim ahead to the next shift
•You only play in the NHL; you cannot play for minor league teams
•The Memorial Cup tryout period is gone. You now begin by picking an NHL team, or by letting a random CPU team draft you.
•No All-Star game
Ultimate Team
•Cannot play against your friends
•No tournaments
•No mobile app

PS3/360 version:
-This version does not include most of the gameplay features listed below, as they are next gen exclusive. New commentary is confirmed for this version, however.
-Has all game modes from previous NHL games, including EASHL, GM Connected, Live the Life, and more.

12 PLAYER NHL COLLISION PHYSICS
For the first time in any sports game, real-world physics affects every player through every on-ice collision with the new 12 Player NHL ® Collision Physics. Utilizing the power of the next generation consoles, and building off the critically-acclaimed NHL Collision Physics system, every player on the ice is governed by physics at all times. Feel the hard-hitting chaos of NHL hockey through true-to-life secondary collisions, net scrambles and player pileups, capturing the desperation of every shift.
ibbBMZcrhxxKhW.jpg

REAL PUCK PHYSICS
The puck is one of the most complex items in the game to authentically replicate and it finally gets its due in NHL 15. Completely rebuilt puck physics result in a more realistic feel to every puck interaction. Everything on the ice, including the ice surface itself, is live which leads to the unpredictable and authentic puck spins, rolls and bounces seen in a real NHL game.
ibacSMTrY3f9B2.jpg

AUTHENTIC PLAYER AND EQUIPMENT MODELS
The Next Generation Hockey Player has been rebuilt from the ice up. Now player models have three distinct layers - the body, equipment, and jersey. Each layer interacts independently, making every contact with the puck or other players even more realistic. Dynamic Cloth technology adds an extra layer of realism as it reacts to the player’s movement as they explode up the ice, helping bring the speed of the game to life.
i6nG5k4mYxTQn.jpg

UNPRECEDENTED PLAYER LIKENESS
Powered by the same technology that brought the most realistic representation of the athlete to EA SPORTS UFC, NHL 15 delivers groundbreaking player likeness, emotion and animation. From the strides a player takes to get up the ice to the emotion on their face after scoring a game winning goal, the players are as real as they’ve ever been.
i5q5oO2iu50Z1.jpg

SUPERSTAR SKILL STICK
Now all the tools of an NHL superstar are in your hands. The revolutionary Skill Stick has evolved to give even more control to the player. Protect the puck, receive passes without breaking stride, and discover an arsenal of sweet new dekes, all with an intuitive right stick control scheme that is easy to use but packed with depth.
ifNzH3GCgg2gU.jpg

AUTHENTIC ARENAS
There is no feeling like being there, and we are giving you the best seats in the house. The power of the next-gen consoles finally allows the NHL franchise to capture every detail of an NHL arena. Unique arena elements from 19,000+ seat capacities to lighting and player entrance tunnels are captured with a level of detail not possible on the previous generation. Now those home games will truly feel like home.
iFs2jYQ9B51WR.jpg

NEW COMMENTARY TEAM
New voices for a new generation. NHL 15 welcomes the NBC Sports commentary team of Mike 'Doc' Emrick and Eddie Olczyk to the broadcast booth. TSN analyst Ray Ferraro will provide game insights at ice level. Combined with Real Life Broadcast Integration that will feature real-world pre-game video commentary with Doc and Eddie set against in-game visuals, NHL 15 takes a revolutionary step forward in sports videogames; where the lines between the real world of sport broadcast and the game are blurred.
ibhsuCgKQ8HTBe.jpg

NBC SPORTS GAME DAY PRESENTATION
The most realistic broadcast package in a video game to-date is possible because of a new partnership with NBC Sports. Set the scene with the NHL on NBC crew welcoming you to the city during the game intros and immerse yourself in an experience that matches what you see on television with NHL on NBC graphics and branding.
i6Pywifjw0Xi5.jpg

VIDEOS:

Official E3 Gameplay Trailer
Next-Gen Hockey Player
True Hockey Physics
Superstar Skill Stick
Gamescom Trailer
Overhead Gameplay

Demo available now on PS4/Xbox One.

nhl15_logo.jpg

Tabris

69.99 ? what? thats the first im hearing of this.

Cudder most likely Canadian and that's the price we face.

Garbage it uses NBC Sports intros instead of TSN, Sportsnet, and/or CBC. I don't want the subpar American experience.

Filth

Cudder most likely Canadian and that's the price we face.

Garbage it uses NBC Sports intros instead of TSN, Sportsnet, and/or CBC. I don't want the subpar American experience.

yeah just looked it up 59.99 in the states. sucks canadabros :/

Cudder

69.99 ? what? thats the first im hearing of this.

Yeah I'm Canadian. Added US prices as well to OP.

I have it pre ordered digitally on PS4. The more I play the demo the more I like it. The gameplay changes are pretty great, especially the puck physics and the new skill stick.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, I can confirm that Season, Playoff, and Shootout modes are not present in the PS4 and XBox One versions. I have a friend that got an early copy and I asked about them specifically. Bummed me out cause all I play is Season Mode so I can control all the rosters. Still getting the PS4 version though... and the XBone, PS3, and 360 versions some time down the line.

depward

No NHL this year for me. Was so psyched for current gen EASHL. Won't support.

Looking forward to the funny physics videos.

On the fence here as to 360 or One. Has anyone heard of any improvements to EASHL on 360? Fucking love EASHL but the One demo was pretty tight.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

KuGsj.gif
Nice.

Well, I'll still probably pick up for the PS4. What choice do I have? It is this or nothing. And I did have some fun with the demo.

Edit: The lack of features would have been excusable if it were NHL 14 . . . but they gave us NOTHING last year for PS4/Xbone and this year a gimped version. :-(

Obligatory, Fuck you 2K Sports for quitting on hockey.

The biggest missing feature for me is online co-op. Any one else with me on that? The main way I play the NHL series is having a few buddies over to play together online against other people. Can't believe that's not included in NHL 15. Deal breaker.

AlexIIDX

The biggest missing feature for me is online co-op. Any one else with me on that? The main way I play the NHL series is having a few buddies over to play together online against other people. Can't believe that's not included in NHL 15. Deal breaker.

Yep, extremely disappointed with this, I always created a seperate psn account for me and my cousin so we could have our own co-op online record.Why the hell did this get cut?

REAL PUCK PHYSICS
The puck is one of the most complex items in the game to authentically replicate and it finally gets its due in NHL 15. Completely rebuilt puck physics result in a more realistic feel to every puck interaction. Everything on the ice, including the ice surface itself, is live which leads to the unpredictable and authentic puck spins, rolls and bounces seen in a real NHL game.

FYI, this one isn't true at all. Based on the demo, magnet pucks/magnet sticks are still in the game.

Dibbs

BTW, I can confirm that Season, Playoff, and Shootout modes are not present in the PS4 and XBox One versions. I have a friend that got an early copy and I asked about them specifically. Bummed me out cause all I play is Season Mode so I can control all the rosters. Still getting the PS4 version though... and the XBone, PS3, and 360 versions some time down the line.

Wtf is this shit. For the last 2-3 years I've only played GMC, EASHL, Season and occasionally Playoff mode with friends. What in the fuck am I supposed to play now? /sad

Phinor

FYI, this one isn't true at all. Based on the demo, magnet pucks/magnet sticks are still in the game.

I'd argue this point. The puck seems to be very loose, stick check that connects always moves the puck etc. Now there's one huge problem in the demo and it's the fact that there's a ton of pass assist which causes the puck to act pretty much like a magnet between players. It's a terrible way to pla the game. I'm confident (and I hope...) that in the full game disabling pass assists will mostly solve this issue.

rafaelr

BTW, I can confirm that Season, Playoff, and Shootout modes are not present in the PS4 and XBox One versions. I have a friend that got an early copy and I asked about them specifically. Bummed me out cause all I play is Season Mode so I can control all the rosters.

really? what´s even left then if i want to play with one team only and not screw around with salaries and management stuff? i was considering buying this at launch, but no way i´m paying full price for half a game.

I'd argue this point. The puck seems to be very loose, stick check that connects always moves the puck etc. Now there's one huge problem in the demo and it's the fact that there's a ton of pass assist which causes the puck to act pretty much like a magnet between players. It's a terrible way to pla the game. I'm confident (and I hope...) that in the full game disabling pass assists will mostly solve this issue.

I have it recorded on the my PS4 which conveniently cut out during the slow motion part of a goal replay. The puck was a good 2-3 feet away from the players' stick but it still flew into the net like it actually made contact.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I actually will be picking up the PS4 version because of the Dell deal last week.

Still upset about the lack of modes, but Be a GM is enough for me. Plus, with the Dell deal giving me a $25 gift card and $25 off Gamecenter, which I was buying anyway, it's like getting it for $10.

That thread title is brilliant.

Having real people against those fake backgrounds looks terrible. Not well executed at all.

Edit: Wait, no Season Mode? How do you not have a Season mode in a sports game in 2014?

I guess the Be a GM mode is the closest thing? That's like a basic Franchise mode?

Do the menus still suck.

If they haven't improved the UI at all this game will continue to be a sad joke in my book.

I think there are new menus but judging by the demo they will still be laggy as hell.

Great thread title OP!!

Despite only getting about 33% of a full game I am still looking forward to an NHL game for the first time in 2 years after bypassing 14. First up EA Access followed by the PS4 version on release.

Love the thread title. Feel bad for people who play those modes which are missing. I only play quick play and HUT so I'm pretty much set. Can't believe they wouldn't include season mode though. That just seems so odd and not something that seems all that hard to include.

U2NUMB

Sucks they removed features for those that enjoyed them but I am a Be a Pro type player so I am still getting it. Really enjoyed the demo so looking forward to buying a hockey game for the first time in 2 years.

nikos

Wonder if the PS4 version will be more polished than the demo, and if the resolution will be bumped to 1080p.

GRaider81

Any news on the resolution?

My eyes couldn't cope with the demo. When you look at the game details in the store it says 720p.

Hoping that's not accurate though I suspect it is :(

suikodan

I pre-ordered the "Ultimate Edition" of the game back at E3 for 48$. I'm not a hardcore NHL fan but I can't wait to see it in action.

Top Bottom