• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some new details about Dragon Quest Heroes (Please be excited for DQ11?)

duckroll

There's an interview with Horii and Shibusawa in Famitsu this week. Not a lot of details but they do mention some interesting things. The concept behind the game is an invasion of a million DQ monsters of different shapes and sizes. The battles with the huge gigantus class monsters are inspired by Toukiden. Apparently development for the game started last year, which might explain why it's coming out so soon. The game will feature fully orchestrated arrangements of various classic DQ tunes from previous games. There will also be classic DQ sound effects, like the chime when you level up.

What's also interesting is when Horii was asked about Dragon Quest 11, he said that it is being developed separately, but that Dragon Quest Heroes is being released with the hope that it will build up excitement among those who play it to make them look forward to the next title. Hmmm...

zeromcd73

Hey, I was just thinking about making this thread. Good thing I didn't have to >.>

But more importantly, DQ11 PS4 hype!!!!

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm really looking forward not having the opportunity to buy a western version of DQ Heroes and DQ11. Thank you very much S-E.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Every big upcoming SE console games is also on PS4 ( Type 0 HD, FF XV, KH3) - IF there is a console version of DQ11 ( and it looks like it) of course it will also be on PS4. Especially if it a 2016 release.
There will also be classic DQ sound effects, like the chime when you level up.

Guess im getting DQ Heroes as well :-/

First Hyrule Warriors....now this ? Whats happening to me, they got me.

If there is really a PS4-Version, then hopefully the game is home console exclusive. WiiU/PS3/PS4 maybe, but please no HH-version then..

Erm...why ? Ninokuni PS3 is one of the best looking RPGs out there and its based on a DS game.

sublimit

Banned
There's an interview with Horii and Shibusawa in Famitsu this week. Not a lot of details but they do mention some interesting things. The concept behind the game is an invasion of a million DQ monsters of different shapes and sizes. The battles with the huge gigantus class monsters are inspired by Toukiden. Apparently development for the game started last year, which might explain why it's coming out so soon. The game will feature fully orchestrated arrangements of various classic DQ tunes from previous games. There will also be classic DQ sound effects, like the chime when you level up.

What's also interesting is when Horii was asked about Dragon Quest 11, he said that it is being developed separately, but that Dragon Quest Heroes is being released with the hope that it will build up excitement among those who play it to make them look forward to the next title. Hmmm...

Hmmmm indeed!
Please make it for PS4 pleeeeease!

And the details about Heroes taking inspiration from Toukiden make it sound a lot more interesting than i initially thought it would be.

Kyoufu

No matter what Horii says about DQXI I'm going to be all ronburgundyidontbelieveyou.gif until it's announced.

Oh snap this is an interesting turn of events. DQ11 PS4??

Gloam

Wow, that is a surprise. Wonder how DQ11 will shake out, it'll be interesting to see if Horii has got the multiplayer stuff out of his system after DQ9 and 10. A couple of years back he said that he'd like to make something more like DQ8, though that could've been referring to 10 at the time, what with the third person perspective.

Every big upcoming SE console games is also on PS4 ( Type 0 HD, FF XV, KH3) - IF there is a console version of DQ11 ( and it looks like it) of course it will also be on PS4. Especially if it a 2016 release.

Erm...why ? Ninokuni PS3 is one of the best looking RPGs out there and its based on a DS game.

Ummmm... The DS and the PS3 games were separate games, not like an up port or anything like that.

Kouriozan

Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV
lol
and possibly Dragon Quest XI hitting the PS4 in 2016, just wow...
There won't be any reason to not own a PS4 if you like JRPG.

Dark_castle

Man if DQXI is announced for PS4 and is a traditional turn-based single-player RPG along the lines of DQVIII, I'll die of happiness.

koutoru

Looks like Sqaure Enix really want to build up the PS4 fanbase, before they release major games (FFXV and possibly DQXI) on it.
I just don't see them trying to cause hype for a game (via Dragon Quest Heroes) on one platform and then release it on a completely different platform (like handheld or mobile).

Asd202

lol

All those 3 games will be a year apart, by the end of 2017 all should be out. But you know it's SE.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ummmm... The DS and the PS3 games were separate games, not like an up port or anything like that.

No one said it was a port, but its based on the DS game. SE can do the same thing, isnt that pretty much what is already happening with Type 0 HD for PS4/One - also based on a PSP game.

Of course they wont just port over a 3DS game 1:1 to a console like the PS4, especially of they console version is being released after the handheld one.

Gambit

haha, same here. They've got me by the short and curlies.

Anyway, I am still hoping for portable DQ11, as I prefer portable JRPGs. But eventually I'd get it for PS4 as well. So I am fine either way, as long as it comes out here (and is no MMO)

zeromcd73

All those 3 games will be a year apart, by the end of 2017 all should be out. But you know it's SE.
Both Kagari and Verendus have pretty much stated FFXV is coming to Japan holiday 2015. DQXI will be 2016 for the 30th anniversary of the series. 2017 seems too far away for KH3.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so, between DQHeroes, the "I'd like to play it on a big screen" hint and the "Please be excited for DQ11 playing DQHeroes" hint...I'd say that DQ11 (also?) on PS4 is a lock.

lol

FF Type 0 HD, Persona 5, Ys, Disgaea 5 will be out between 2015-2016 as well. As a jrpg fan its time.

Both Kagari and Verendus have pretty much stated FFXV is coming to Japan holiday 2015

Its a possibility. They may be in the know but this is SE we are talking about and Versus.

duckroll

So DQ heroes not a muso but a Toukiden like ?

I like it !!!!!!

I think it's a bit of a mish mash. The parts where you fight the largest monsters are inspired by Toukiden, but much of the game's format clearly looks like it's based on Musou (you play from a selection of characters, there are characters from other DQ games, etc). There are probably other RPG mechanics they'll throw in just to make it feel more "DQ".

No one said it was a port, but its based on the DS game. SE can do the same thing, isnt that pretty much what is already happening with Type 0 HD for PS4/One - also based on a PSP game.

But Type 0 is an up port. Ninokuni was two separate games. They do not even share a title, Wrath of the White Witch (二ノ国 白き聖灰の女王) vs Ni no Kuni: Dominion of the Dark Djinn (二ノ国 漆黒の魔導士)

so Square would ignore the userbase of the 3DS? Seems strange and don't make business sense (you know, this so important sense when it comes to localizations).
I see multi plat, nowadays Square doesn't think in terms of exclusives.

Wouldn't be the first time they tried to migrate the fanbase in advance with spinoffs. I assume the PS4 is the big one they are pushing then, since I doubt the PS3 is going to be very viable to release still big games on in 2016. If accurate though, I wonder what type of financial incentive they have gotten though. Dragon Quest games typically seem to follow the platforms that lead the Japanese market, which wouldn't be further from the reality the PS4 is currently facing.

-Edit-
I forgot about the multiplatform thing. Maybe all those other Vita + PS4 announcements of recent could be an avenue they'd explore? It'd still ignore the market leaders, but it would fit with the rest of the company's direction more, and has a better shot at both reaching both a domestic and international audience.

so Square would ignore the userbase of the 3DS? Seems strange and don't make business sense (you know, this so important sense when it comes to localizations).
I am thinking it's for ps3 ps4 wiiu and 3DS.

All the above console have Dragon Quest games to prepare the audiences for a main line DQ game.

Unless you are selling to the west. Ps4 sales have momentum and is not even in full swing. 3DS peaked and unless New 3DS jump starts things, PS4 is the better avenue for getting your game into western hands.

Thoraxes

I don't think they would, but yet again they haven't always made the smartest business decisions when it comes to wanting to make a shitload of money. Would be suicide right now to release a title like that on PS4 in Japan and expect a return on investment, and unless Sony would fund a localization and ad campaign in the west, there's zero chance it would even make it there.

3DS makes the most business sense in the current market climate.

Garou

I really don't see PS4 happening unless Sony brings the BIG moneyhats. DQ sells first and foremost in Japan and the current installbase there goes from 3DS->Vita->WiiU->PS4 while developing costs are the exact other way around.
Financially it wouldn't make sense, especially since DQ doesn't have such a segmented audience like other titles which make them more relevant on some plaforms than others.

zeromcd73

One of the things I'm curious about is if SE will try to push the DQ series again in the west. Would be great if it caught on.

L~A

I am thinking it's for ps3 ps4 wiiu and 3DS.

All the above console have Dragon Quest games to prepare the audiences for a main line DQ game.

That'd be quite the endeavour, as the 3 platforms (especially with the 3DS) are quite different from each other.

How the hell could they do a PS4 - 3DS game and not have it look either crappy on PS4 or run very badly on 3DS.

Then again, Capcom did have E.X. Troopers on both PS3 / 3DS...

One of the things I'm curious about is if SE will try to push the DQ series again in the west. Would be great if it caught on.

Maybe SE, Sony and Nintendo can team up and make Dragon quest big in the West /s

I don't believe DQ can ever meet or be near FF sales in the West. :-|

I think Se wants to capitalise on PS4's success in the West which is weird since DQ never sold particularly well. They probably look at FF and KH with their 4 million+ western sales and wonder what happened to DQ.

Furthermore, Hori said multi-platform was the way to go with the series. I'm expecting 3DS/PS4. Possibly XB1 if porting is easy and maybe even PS3 as well if PS4 under performs in JP.

They are dumb, but they aren't ignoring 4 million sales to throw it on PS4 unless Sony decided to shell out a couple hundred million dollars which would actually be interesting. Personally I hope it's not a PS4/3DS game as that would just end up looking really awful on PS4. Maybe they are making 2 games?

Top Bottom